Thread: 7K Keypad Button Failing

Thanks

Default 7K Keypad Button Failing

Hi,

One of my keypad buttons on my 7K (the upper left soft key) keeps taking harder and harder presses to activate it. Is that something I could have success repairing (just that key) or do I need to change the whole expensive chassis with the keypad?

Thanks.

Thanks

Is it a legit APX? Or an ALT radio? Still under warranty? DEPOT.

Thanks

It's legit, but not under warranty. Rather fix it myself for something simple, but I priced the chassis with the keypad. Not cheap. Just wondering if anyone has ever gotten into the keypad and (probably) cleaned the contacts before I get into it.

Thanks

Try removing and re-seating the plastic cover. I had an APX7000 where the soft keys required a lot of force to operate or would operate intermittently. I removed the cover to examine the contacts and when I put the cover back on the softkeys functioned properly. It has not been an issue since. It seems like a minor misalignment may have been the cause of my problem.

Thanks

Possible, but it's only that button and I can feel it click each time, but it won't do anything unless I press that one a lot harder. And it's getting worse over time.

I'll take a peek when I get time.

Thanks

I came across a 6 month old APX 7500 O7 control head that's starting to have button problems. It's installed in a patrol car, and the department doesn't have any other ones (just this one). Trying to figure out how to get it in to the depot without taking the car out of service... Yay.

Thanks

Got it fixed. I was able to pull back the corner of the stick on plastic cover over the metal buttons. Luckily the button in question is in the upper corner. It looked perfectly clean underneath, but I cleaned it with alcohol anyway. Works fine now.

I'll see how long it lasts, but cheaper than the $325 for the whole assembly.

Thanks

Just a thought that might make your repair last you a little longer...have you thought about shortening the keypad press time (long/short press in ms) in CPS so that it works a little easier?

Thanks

I'll take a look, thanks. They're just set to the default time and I don't do any long presses on that key. The short time seems very short, but it's worth a look.