Thread: APX7000 Serial Number issue for Dept Owned APX

PDFDLt No Longer Registered

Default APX7000 Serial Number issue for Dept Owned APX

I am a Public Safety Lt, and our Dept has an APX7000 700-800/VHF radio that has the generic 1234ABC123 ... Additionally the Serial Number Tag was removed. It was sold to us as a "DEMO" buy some one on Thief bay for $2500. When we trried to get it programed Motorola Loss prevention got involved and could not determin the origin of the radio. Returned it to us, and said contact a dealer to get in to the Depot for a serial number creation etc. Well almost 2 years now and still making no head way. Now Motorola is offering to sell us a new one at a discount, which still will now cost us another $4000. Has anyone ever had a similar situation, and if so does anyone know if it is possible to get Motorola to assign an new serial no, or somehow determine the original serial no. Amazingly Motorola's Security and LP said they couldnt do it .... Any help is appreciated.

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

You've bought a stolen, ALT, parts built or insurance salvage radio. There's no way that Motorola is ever going issue you a serial without giving it a good going over and even then, there's still no guarantee they will issue you a serial number. Your radio could have bypassed every quality check at the factory. That sticker wasn't torn off, it was probably never there to begin with. Your radio probably disappeared from Motorola just before it should have received a legit serial number.

Scary to think a Public Safety Agency bought a radio from eBay. If you really are from a Public Safety Agency, you should be ashamed for buying a radio off of eBay that somebody's life may depend on.

That said, you should take Motorola up on their offer. You got a radio that would be fine for a hobbiest but that's it. I would put the radio on eBay with full disclosure that it's an ABC radio with questionable origins. Put that money towards a radio bought through a legitimate source.

You wouldn't expect GM to issue you a VIN number for a car that was stolen from their factory or built from parts outside of the factory?
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

Who was the seller? You can PM me that info if you prefer.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,027 Posts

Any radio coming from ALT or before finalization and distribution will have a basic flash and the ABC1234 style serial number. I once got an entire shipment of legitimately labelled XTS's that missed the final flash step and arrived as basic generic radios, but somehow got labelled and through QC. Motorola made good on them.

Your APX was never a real radio, never left the 'plant' so to speak. Sad that someone sold it for that much money on eBay, and to a PS agency at that. Its pretty scary that a PS Agency would BUY a radio off of eBay, but I know they do, I see it all the time. They come in with 'deals' which end up costing FAR MORE than if they had simply done it right the first time.

Motorola's offer is more than generous. I'm guessing what they have offered you is darn near cost or under for a new radio. Or as they say in the industry 'NWT' - New With Tags.

Peddle that one you have to a HAM or to some radio guy who KNOWS exactly what they are buying and will never attempt to put it in commercial service, and call this a lesson learned.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Thanks

Good luck getting it registered with any trunking system administrator. Most will not issue ID's for non legit radios.
    On our trunking system administrator requires us to send them a sample codeplug for serial number proof.

PRC148 No Longer Registered

Ours don't care. If it exists it's good to go and I'm ok with that. I liken it to the gun shop clerk selling ammo. Do they ask to inspect your weapon to make sure it's clean and up to par to fire +P+? Nope, they take your money and say have a good day. Life is full of risks.

Thanks

Respectfully, "Public Safety Lt." could just be whackerish for Security Guard Supervisor... so maybe they got what they deserved. Not saying this is the case here, but could be. If the guy was a police Lieutenant, he'd have just said so. Read betwixt the lines.

Thanks

Hey "PDFDLt"...you going let us know the eBay seller ID? Or are you going to just stop at your cameo post? If you really feel "wronged" by this seller, let us know who he/she is. There are means now to report these sellers. You do have options, you know.

Thanks

I don't think I've ever met someone who was a Lieutenant of both a police department and a fire department. That's a lot of work!

PRC148 No Longer Registered

I have. It's common in smaller agencies with Public Safety multi-role configurations. Ours was that way until 1991.

Thanks

There are at least 2 departments in Illinois that have Public Safety departments that do police and fire. They have a rank of Lt. One is smaller and the other is pretty large.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Firecpt809 View Post
    There are at least 2 departments in Illinois that have Public Safety departments that do police and fire. They have a rank of Lt. One is smaller and the other is pretty large.
    Rosemont comes to mind..

Thanks

Glencoe ..Bensenville tried it.. and you know how that worked so well..

Thanks

Amazing what some will rationalize to save some cash. As it was said in Post #2 : $4,000.00 for a spec-APX 7000 from /\/\ with a warranty and support is a gift IMO. Take it!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,134 Times in 693 Posts

All - Let's try to get this discussion focused back on the OP's issue with his APX rather than on whether the OP has an unusual job title. Notice that his username is PD FD Lt. which would seem to match what some of the members are saying about dual-role positions in small agencies. I would have expected the OP to jump in and explain what he does for a living, but that's really off topic as well.

PDFDLt - would you like to give us more information about the source of the radio? As you can tell, we try to "police" the distribution of non-legit radios. Your radio is 99.99+ percent illegit and should not be used for public safety purposes. If you want to keep the radio as a hobby radio, that's about all it might be good for based on the informaiton that you provided. Pay close attention to Posts #2 and #4.
    Last edited by Number 6; Sep 29, 2013 at 08:47 PM.

Thanks

I know of a person that is an admin for The LWIN system down in the south and absolutely would never attach a radio ID to a 123ABC1234 radio on their network. Its an absolute NO NO

That system is a bad a** system. You can be 700 miles away and still talk to someone on that network. This system was put into place and was funding after hurricane Sandy tore the gulf up. Also, they use OTAR and change their enc key every 16 or 17 days. They have it locked down pretty tight which is a little crazy but thats how some systems are these days with security. A little over-board but its the sign of the times.