Thread: APX Remote Mobile Cable Cutting and Splicing?

Thanks

Default APX Remote Mobile Cable Cutting and Splicing?

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience cutting and splicing the CAN Buss remote control head cable on an APX7500? I have a mobile installation that I will need to do this in order to fish the cable through existing conduit.( The connector is to big to fit through on this installation ) Is it easy to do or are there plated shields or wires that are problematic in soldiering this cable back together?

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks
    Thanked 1,965 Times in 992 Posts

Wow. That's a tough one. Is this in public safety? If this is a new install in a public safety vehicle, you are of course, voiding the warranty by doing that. You might consider buying a spare cable and cutting it open before you start just to see what you are getting into, although I can't think it would be that difficult.

Sometimes you just have to let the customer know what they are biting off. I could never sanction this if it were anything I owned, this is just asking for problems down the road, but your mileage may vary.

Fixed installation?

What are the circumstances where there is no other choice? I have installed radios in battle tanks. There is always another option.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon