Thread: XTS5000 Out of Range after using 800 antenna on 7/800 system

Thanks

Default XTS5000 Out of Range after using 800 antenna on 7/800 system

I have an XTS5000 on a 7/800 MHz system. After we converted from 800 to 7/800, this user didn't change their antenna (kept using the 800 antenna). Now, the radio works in conventional mode, but displays "Out of Range" on the trunked channels. Could using the wrong antenna have damaged the PA? Using the proper antenna doesn't fix the problem. Has anyone seen this problem before? Seems unlikely, but I'll probably have to send it back to depot.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,774 Times in 2,404 Posts

The performance difference between the 7/800 antenna and the 800-only antenna is marginal. Obviously it's prudent to use the proper antenna, but it's not going to cause the OOR to display on the screen.

If the radio is working fine on conventional (is it putting out power? What's sensitivity like?) then the PA is likely not blown.

My bet is on a programming or configuration error. Did the user "site lock" the radio by chance?

Thanks

Did you switch from a 3600 to 9600 system in the process of this conversion? We've run across this issue and it's been alignment most every time. Radio will work fine on a wideband analog conventional channel, but intermittent OOR on narrow P25.

Never seen OOR issues with the antenna.

Thanks

I have seen several XTL5k's that work fine on 800 but will go OOR on a 7/800. They needed alignment.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks

The difference between antennas is very small. More likely a RX problem not PA. But, your problem seems to be programming and/or alighnment. Not a problem with radio, in my opinion. I would say alignment, I have seen 5000's from factory that appeared the 700 freq's had not even been aligned at all . This was way back in 2005, since then we went thru rebanding. And all radio's were alighned during that time.

While they are in there have them enable NO COMMS alert and display feature assuming you have a display on your radio, nice to have.

PS. did the TX light blink at all when on a trunking channel just before OOR was displayed?

Also, the first person I would of contacted is the system admin or a tech for the system and have them test the radio. You wont be able to do the alignment anyway without a proper service monster or monitor. Depending on make/model,,LOL

What system are you trying to access city, state.....?

Please be sure to check back and let us know the problem found!
    Last edited by moetorola; Oct 01, 2013 at 03:44 PM.
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

Thanks

Every time I see this phenomenon, the reference oscillator is the culprit. 5 minutes on an autotest usually puts it back in service.

Thanks

Ok, thanks. I'll have it checked on Monday morning and I'll post the results. I appreciate the help.