Thread: VRS on W3 control group

radiotech No Longer Registered

Default VRS on W3 control group

Can anyone shed some light on why a VRS isn't supported on a W3 control group? Is it because of button configurations or another reason. I have VHF W3's and would love to put UHF VRS on it.

Thanks

I'm kind of in the same boat here. I would very much like to add the VRS feature to a couple of W3s, but I suspect that the feature is not available because the HHCH uses a synchronous clock line while the others (W7, W9, etc.) are asynchronous. If that's the case, the VRS will be trying to communicate with the CPU in an incompatible format. Maybe someone else here on the site could shed some light on the subject.

In the meantime, I'm going to see if I can at least connect a SVR-200U if I can find (or re-route) a reliable COR signal at the D25 connection (J5). It's not my first choice since the VRS-750 offer mode steering, but at least it's workable.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,012 Posts

Call Pyramid, they may have a data sheet for that config, if not, they may be able to provide one or at least an answer why not for both the 200 and the 250.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Thanks

com501:

Thanks, I've looked at the data sheets for the AS shown on their site, but of course they're written for everything BUT the W3. Apparently, once you get issued a W3 you're not supposed to get out of the car. I've used the SVR-200s on lots of other rigs and it's been a very good performer. The Pyramid techs do a great job making their products work with practically everything you can think of. I'll let you know if they can come up with a good plan for the W3.

Thanks

Well, it's been a week since I asked for help from the technicians at Pyramid and still no response. I've had better luck with them in the past.

Basically, I'm using their Application Note #224B for the AS High Power, but the interconnect board they've used is, of course, the high power interconnect board (HLN6486) for all other control heads and the W3 uses one specific to the HHCH (the HLN6574). The Pyramid spec sheet described installing JU605 to connect the PTT function to the Spare 1 pin (pin-16) on JU0006 (the D25 on the drawer). I'm a little suspicious that this may not be the same on the HHCH interconnect board.

Does anyone here know if there is a major circuitry difference between the HLN6486 and the HLN6574? I've been unable to locate any schematic of an HLN6574 to compare. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks

Well, I hate to be answering my own posts here but I finally got a chance to open up the AS-W3 and take a good look at the innards... As you have read so far, I've been trying to find a good configuration for the Pyramid SVR-200 for a W3 Astro Spectra. The command board is the same in all of the models, but the innterconnect board is very different (see the previous reply in this post). After much research, I believe I've found a solution:

Here is how to connect a Pyramid SVR-200 to an Astro Spectra W3 (HHCH):

First, get a copy of the Pyramid Application Note AN#: 224B, available for download on their website.

Next, ignore the first instruction in the section "Additional Modifications (Radio)" Instead, install a jumper between pin 10 on the audio PA IC (U450) and pin 14 of P502. Follow the rest of the instructions, but do not install the jumper from the U450 to J503.

The Pyramid instructions call for adding two zero-ohm resistors (jumpers) on the interconnect board at JU627 and JU605. Neither JU627 nor JU605 appear anywhere on the HLN6574 interconnect board, but according to the schematics, JU55 and JU56 appear to be performing the same functions. On my board, these two jumpers were already in place, so no problem.

Finally, follow the cable pin-out diagram and programming for the SVR as directed. Pin 16 (Spare 1) will go high (about 12.2V) any time the audio PA opens. You may want to put a small resistor in line if you don't want to run that much voltage. The SVR will sense COR anywhere between .05 and 15V on that line. I didn't install the on-air detect function, but it should show up at pin 17 (Spare 2) at J006 as well.

Good Luck.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,012 Posts

Does it work OK? No issues?
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Thanks

Yes. Been bench testing it and it seems to be working fine. I had to tweak the audio levels a bit, but I think that's because the SVR had been on a GE-something before.