Thread: Motorola MTM5500

Thanks

Default Motorola MTM5500

Finally had w chance to unbox this kit. U don't have much to report at the moment. The control head us just like the 800e but the TSCH looks cool. Going to ve setting it up shortly. Stay tuned, more to come.

Attachment 4209

ForumRunner_20131005_115334.png

Attachment 4212

ForumRunner_20131005_115434.png

ForumRunner_20131005_115509.png

ForumRunner_20131005_115538.png

Thanks

Update - It appears as though the radio left the factory without being properly configured. I've spent a few hours reading through the manual (both CPS and radio) and there's absolutely no way to configure the expansion head interface. I'm guessing "special" software is needed to do this.

Aside from being a brick, at the moment, the radio is well constructed with all of the cables being very high quality. One thing I did notice is the amount of ferrite clamps you're instructed to use. Every data cable is required to use at least three. I thought that was a bit odd.

I'm guessing the radio is going to require a trip back to the depot to be configured. I will see what service tells me tomorrow.

mtp850 No Longer Registered

Coruptr,

Although I have not tried the MTM5500(Nice Radio, ide love one!), it should be no different to an MTM800e where the heads need to be configured. All settings are able to be programmed by the workshop/end user. What version of CPSPlus are you using ?

1. Connect everything up and start CPSPlus. What happens when you do this ? On the right hand side it should show the radio brick in one box, then any other heads in separate boxes.

2. When you go to read the radio it should pop up the option to choose which device you want to read.

3. Read the HEAD then select which head you want to make the master. Change settings then write to the radio. Follow the procedure with the second head and make it a secondary.

4. If CPSPlus only shows 1 head at a time, first connect the master then disconnect and then plug in the second head and program to secondary.

CPSPlus should allow programming of something like 16 radios at a time(including heads). Ive done 4 in one hit and it worked a treat. I can take screen shots if that helps ?

Thanks

mtp850,

Thanks for you reply... When the radio is connected to the computer and the radio is powered up the screen on the control head (not the TSCH) turns white and says flash mode, a warning about not disconnecting the USB cable. And also CH: ready. In CPS all that is visible is the control head - doesn't show the transceiver though. I'm using CPS 1.1, R01.10.19.00 with release packet(s), feature pack 01.10.12.00, project pack MR10.6.5a - R01.10.53.00 both clear and non-clear. When attempting to read, I'm only presented the option to read the control head as CPS isn't seeing the transceiver. I will post a picture of what the control shows when connected to the transceiver without the programing cable attached.

Thanks

This is what's displayed in both control heads without a programming cable attached.

ForumRunner_20131007_095432.png

Thanks
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 487 Posts

For those following the thread and wondering what this radio is its a TETRA unit.

Apologies for the delay in reply. I subscribed to the thread but did not get an email.

It's usual to show "do not connect flash mode" etc. HOWEVER, what it should say is CH Ready then Radio ready on the second line.

It sounds like your radio brick is not communicating with the PC at all. I will check what version I am running tomorrow (it's 11:40pm here)

FYI, Although not compatible with your radio, if your in to TETRA and have a need for remote monitor/control, have a look at this link. http://www.softradio.se/MTM800.htm

We are waiting for a test unit to arrive hopefully later this week which will interface a TETRA trunked network to a connect PLUS TRBO network. You will need an old mtm800 radio for it to work(not an "e" version).

Thanks

It's okay... no new developments. I've contacted the dealer I purchased the radio from and they are assisting. Well, actually I'm waiting to hear back from them. They offered the usual suggestions - remove and reinstall the software, double check drivers, use a different programing cable, ect... I strongly suspect the brick left the factory without it properly being configured for use with an EEH. I'm expecting to hear, "You need to send back the radio!" We shall see.

Thanks for sharing that link. As I read thru the website it looks like they are working to support both the 800e and 5400 series. I don't have an 800 so it looks like I'll need to wait a bit. I'm interested to see how this unit works out for you. My current stable of Tetra gear includes (2)MTH800's, a 800e and this non-functioning 5500, lol!

mtp850 thanks again... I will update this thread as soon as I get this figured out.

Justin

Thanks

For those who have been keeping tabs on this thread - the radio does indeed need to take a trip back to the factory to be configured. I just received word from the dealer the radio was not configured to play nice with the EEH. I've been promised this will be expedited and I should have the radio back ASAP! I will update this thread again when I get the radio back.

Any decent dealer should have said to immediately bring the radio back to them to get the problem rectified without question. On top of that, the dealer should have bench tested the hardware before giving it to you in the first place.

We unfortunately still need to run some TETRA gear due to coverage issues with some customers on a TRBO Connect Plus system and our local "dealer" contact is beyond useless. I now have a very good contact at moto direct that we send any radios with issues to and they have fixed these quite quickly when in warranty(credit where credit is due). In one case one of our guys met someone from moto at the airport to collect 2 new MTP3250 portables for a customer to trial.

Quote Originally Posted by coruptr View Post
    It's okay... no new developments. I've contacted the dealer I purchased the radio from and they are assisting. Well, actually I'm waiting to hear back from them. They offered the usual suggestions - remove and reinstall the software, double check drivers, use a different programing cable, ect... I strongly suspect the brick left the factory without it properly being configured for use with an EEH. I'm expecting to hear, "You need to send back the radio!" We shall see.

Thanks for sharing that link. As I read thru the website it looks like they are working to support both the 800e and 5400 series. I don't have an 800 so it looks like I'll need to wait a bit. I'm interested to see how this unit works out for you. My current stable of Tetra gear includes (2)MTH800's, a 800e and this non-functioning 5500, lol!

mtp850 thanks again... I will update this thread as soon as I get this figured out.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by coruptr View Post
    For those who have been keeping tabs on this thread - the radio does indeed need to take a trip back to the factory to be configured. I just received word from the dealer the radio was not configured to play nice with the EEH. I've been promised this will be expedited and I should have the radio back ASAP! I will update this thread again when I get the radio back.
    ask your dealer why they did not bench check the radio first before passing it to you............

Thanks

Well, the radio is on it's way back... Basically, from what I've been told, the radio is only shipped with selling features (flash options) configured. It's up to the end user to provision everything else. Odd the factory considers telling the transceiver which EEH and/or control head to use is the end users responsibility, whatever! There are two program cables used to program this radio. One specifically for the brick and another for the control head(s). I am a bit disappointed the dealer didn't make me aware of this nor did they have any knowledge of this. It will be back in my hands some point Thursday at which time I would actually like to contribute useful information like performance data, functionality or something of the sort. Still looking forward to playing with DMO repeater function as I've never setup or used this feature.