Thread: R02.06.33 firmware bug - audio accessories

Thanks
    Thanked 8,701 Times in 2,391 Posts

Default R02.06.33 firmware bug - audio accessories

Caution to everyone: Do not upgrade to R02.06.33. It is problematic. After upgrading to R02.06.33, I'm unable to attach/use a speaker mic or the 2-wire surveillance accessory. Both are Motorola accessories; nothing is garbage aftermarket. The radio (obviously) is the XPR7550.

The speaker-mic is the PMMN4046A; unsure of the 2-wire p/n.

When connected, there is no RX or TX audio. PTT does work. Power-cycling sometimes restores RX audio, but TX audio is not present. I have rebooted the radio 12x and cleaned the connection contacts. Nothing resolves the issue. It is definitely firmware related as everything worked fine before I applied R02.06.33.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,008 Posts

Un-fricking believable. I was just about to put the update on our global server for our techs.

I guess I'll wait a few weeks.....

I agree. I am completely tired of beta testing software for free.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Thanks

If anyone else is reading this and is experiencing the same problem(s), my case number is 23655023. Feel free to quote it when you file your own case, so they can reference the common faults.

Mike No Longer Registered

What rev is considered best/stable for the XPR-7550? They are being used only on the ham networks.

I'm running what it came with 2.06.11; CP 04.01.06, running latest CPS 9. The only issue I've noticed so far is that often when starting up the radio the battery pack won't show as an IMPRES device (all are). I've got four packs and have had it happen with each even though all four are new and each has been through the conditioning cycle, some more than once.

Thanks

There's an issue with battery display. Newer firmware was supposed to resolve that; but as you can see, it's introduced another problem.

Things have been very buggy with Motorola TRBO firmware (2.0 series radios) all summer. You should be OK otherwise.

Ok, thanks. I noted the reports of battery capacity display issues but have a habit of checking release notes and forums before upgrading firmware. Holding tight for now.

Thanks

Hi everyone. Update.

Motorola is aware of my issue. I made a video of it to show what's going on. At first they believed it could've been user-error (understandable), but after watching the video, it's looking like they want me to ship my radio and speaker-mic and 2-wire to their engineering group.

If anyone else is experiencing the fault I described, please call Motorola at 1-800-927-2744 and push the DTMFs for TRBO support. Ask for Paul; he's familiar with this case. They want others to replicate my problem. They have not been able to replicate it (even with my codeplugs) in their shop. Again, my case number is 23655023.

I will advise of any further updates.

Thanks

I found a donor radio to do it to. I didn't want to sacrifice my own radio to a potential firmware issue. I'll know Sunday.

Thanks

I was able to replicate this issue with a PMMN4040A RSM and a XPR7550.

No receive audio, but I have transmit audio.

Thanks

Same here. Same mike and a XPR7550 that was working fine with the previous REV until I upgraded it.

I'm in the field until Tuesday, but I will call this in and add to the case on this.

This is beyond stupid.

Thanks

com501, when you say "same mic", which one? The PMMN4040A or the PMMN4046A? In addition to the open case, I've directed Motorola to this thread -- so they need as many details as we can provide.

Thanks

PMMN4040A and I am going to scrounge up a 4025 as well as a cheap Impact mike and see what they do, just to see if its universal. I suspect so.

Group - I have two 7550's and two 4025A speaker mics.

I'll update one radio and check it out, will report back shortly.

(Edit: I hope I can go backwards afterwards, but one radio rarely is used with a speaker mic)
    Last edited by Mike; Sep 30, 2013 at 06:31 PM.

R02-06-33 *works* with an XPR-7550 / PMMN4025A speaker mic combo - receive and xmit audio are both fine.

Going to update the second portable - assume it works as it should unless I update this note otherwise.

Edit: I've rebooted both portables numerous times, also cycled full power-down and power-up, connected & disconnected mics to both -- have discovered no TX or TX audio issues on either digital or analogue channels.
    Last edited by Mike; Sep 30, 2013 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks

XPR7550 from R02.06.21 to R02.06.33 with both the PMMN4025a and the PMMN4050a Noice cancelling SPM, no issues whatsoever. Impact SPM no issues. Seems to just be surveillance stuff?

I didn't have a bleh tooth adapter to check with.

Thanks

This is a weird issue. Moto emailed again today saying it doesn't look like they can give us loaner/replacement radios, while they take possession of ours to investigate. I don't mind helping, but this is my only radio. Same with Pezking. I hope we don't come off as dicks by not wanting to ship our radios to them for who knows how long, while our network sits idle for months.

Thanks

Yet they can ship a few dozen plan X radios to some muni customer and never ask for the swapped radios back for years.....

Thanks

This thread moved to TRBO forum from the firmware release notes forum.

Status update: Dialogue with Motorola via email has continued for the last week; they're in the process of having myself and at least one other party I'm aware of, ship them our radios for engineering evaluation so the bug can be identified/corrected, if it is indeed a bug.

I am quite satisfied with the attention this issue has received from Moto. They do care.

Thanks

Update:

Acting on advice from Motorola, myself, Pezking and com501 were able to resolve the audio accessory fault(s) by performing the following:

- Read radio codeplug using CPS 9.0.
    - Save radio codeplug to disk.
    - Close codeplug.
    - Open previously saved codeplug with CPS 9.0.
    - Program codeplug back into radio.

Apparently something didn't quite work properly with firmware R02.06.33 during a normal CPS firmware/codeplug update. This procedure properly updates the codeplug, or cleans up whatever mess was causing the issue.

I'd like to thank Paul at MOTOTRBO Technical Support for his time and interest in resolving this issue, and to everyone from our forum who helped try to document/confirm/resolve this matter.

I expect we may see some notes/mention of this bug in the next CPS or firmware release.

Thanks for the update.

Since going to .33 I've noted one problem, un-related to audio accessories. Occasionally after putting the radio in "scan" mode it'll lock up and reboot itself.

I've not been able to identify a repeatable sequence of events. I did do a reprogram but doubt I did a read, save, close, open sequence. Nevertheless the reprogram did vastly reduce the incidence of this hang-reboot situation but I've a feeling that all the changes I made (cut out *many* channels) probably had an affect but not a curative effect.

Off to try this... will report back if it solves the problem but won't know for a day or so of operation. If so no doubt Moto would want to know this too.

Thanks

Remember that any time you close and save, the software does a pack. This used to fix many codeplug issues in older software, I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing was happening here.

Given the code plug is a simply encrypted text (XML) data file... I'm surprised a save / close / load procedure would fix anything, and likewise surprised that "packing" the file should be necessary. Why not write out a new file each time? Writing out such a trivial amount of XML is, well. trivial even on dated computers these days.

That said, I've seen stranger things and am willing to give the procedure a try.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 448 Posts

It may be a good idea on all TRBO firmware updates to follow the proceedure as Mars describes to avoid possible issues

Steps have been edited for generic use. It will be essential to make sure that the CPS/firmware are the same release Ie: v9.00.00 CPS v2.06.33 firmware READ the release notes to verify the CPS version the Firmware was released for.
    - Read radio codeplug using the "current" CPS for the firmware update.
    - Save radio codeplug to disk.
    - Close codeplug.
    - reopen the codeplug you just saved still using the "current" CPS.
    - Program codeplug back into radio.

Thanks

Now that makes perfect sense!