Thread: Spectra programming issues

vk2hwy No Longer Registered

Default Spectra programming issues

I'm currently running a Toshiba 2100 (a 486~1993 mdl) with 4 meg Ram with a CPU clock speed that can be switched from 50 down to 25. DOS 6.22, a new Kawamall RIB and new DB25 cable. I also have moslo installed. I'm having issues with the software communicating with my Systems 9000 control head~recapped 110w Spectra, it's intermittant. This is the third DOS running PC with serial port I have tried, the second Kawamall RIB and I have checked and double checked everything. The RIB(S) work fine on my other radios, but the Spectra is proving difficult. I have varied the speed on various pc's from 100 down to 4.77, switched from battery power on the RIB(s) to an adaptor, even pulled the DB25 cable apart and tested it.

About the only thing I haven't done is buy a genuine RIB.

Any suggestions?

PSYKO_Inc No Longer Registered

I have been able to program my Spectras with an old Compaq desktop running a 300MHz Cyrix processor. I used a program called CACHEOFF to disable the CPU caching and had no problems using the same Kawa RIB and homemade programming cables. Instructions to make the CACHEOFF program are the last post in this thread:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=89129

After making the program, I dropped it in the root directory and added it to my AUTOEXEC.bat file so it runs every time the computer is started.

Will No Longer Registered

Some computers will have problems with the R.I.B., even the Kawamal R.I.B.
    This IS a known problem, the design does not comply with the RS232 Serial Standards. I have posted the mods here on this group.

There is also a timing problem in the R.I.B. when programming Spectras.

The last version of the Spectra RSS is NOT computer speed dependent like the older versions were.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    This IS a known problem, the design does not comply with the RS232 Serial Standards. I have posted the mods here on this group.

The last version of the Spectra RSS is NOT computer speed dependent like the older versions were.
    Thanks Will, I'm having a read through it now.

Quote Originally Posted by PSYKO_Inc View Post
    I have been able to program my Spectras with an old Compaq desktop running a 300MHz Cyrix processor. I used a program called CACHEOFF to disable the CPU caching and had no problems using the same Kawa RIB and homemade programming cables. Instructions to make the CACHEOFF program are the last post in this thread:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=89129

After making the program, I dropped it in the root directory and added it to my AUTOEXEC.bat file so it runs every time the computer is started.
    The Toshiba 2100 has a DOS program called TSETUP, where you can access the bios and alter the speed, cache etc.

I'm thinking more along the lines of modifying the Kawa RIB

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vk2hwy View Post
    The Toshiba 2100 has a DOS program called TSETUP, where you can access the bios and alter the speed, cache etc.

I'm thinking more along the lines of modifying the Kawa RIB
    I had a Toshiba that I used for many years with DOS based RSS.

Disabling the cache using tsetup seemed to solve any speed issues I encountered.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Using TSETUP the Toshiba has two CPU speeds of 25 and 50. Even with Mo Slo I can get the speed down to 4.77. At 4.77 the RSS won't run. From what I gather it's a data transmission issue between the RIB and the Spectra. Everything else I have checked. This is my third PC/laptop with serial port that I have tried. I don't have any trouble programming other radios with the two Kawa RIBs just the Spectra. I've printed out Will's schematic for the RIB upgrade and should have that done in the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post

Like this?

M (9).jpgM (13).jpgM (16).jpgM (7).jpgM (8).jpg

About an hours work and $2.25c for the parts.

Thanks Will for the tip

I'll give it a run tomorrow.

I tested the modified RIB on a GM300, read the radio etc and it's working fine. Then I tested it on the Spectra and when I do the F3 radio communications check it says OK. Other than that I'm still having the same issues as before.

When trying to go into F2 service mode it says Accessing Serial bus, then Serial Bus Failure:Bus Timeout. After hitting F2 a dozen or so times it gets into the Alignment Menu, then a few more hits on F7 and it gets into Transmitter High Power Adjustment.

From there when I hit F6 to key up it keys the radio up, I can adjust the power level with the arrow up/down keys but it won't F8 save. It refuses to save and locks up. This is after numerous attempts of pressing the keys.

Quite frankly I'm stumped, I adjusted the CPU speed, had the cache turned off, used both battery and power adaptor on the RIB. I have even adjusted the voltage to the radio thinking it may be of concern.

Any suggestions anyone?

The circuits used in the R.I.B. for GM300 radios are different than the rest of the circuits that the Spectra programming uses.
    So it could be a R.I.B. or computer problem, even a problem in your Spectra.

I do not think MoSlow is needed, never used it on any of my Toshiba's. The last ver Spectra RSS does not have the computer speed problems. What is your RSS ver number. Also did you mention the Spectra's model number?

I would fix your Spectra in a moment, but see you are Sydney and probably a prohibitive cost to send it up to California.

I have two Kawa RIBs, one standard and now one modified. They both are producing the same result. RSS 5 and 6. The radio's model number is T84GXA7HA9AK, the FCC is AZ492FT4777. The radio and the head have been recapped before I bought it as there are stickers placed on them. I read somewhere that recapping can affect some things? There is a second bit of DOS software that switches the first-in/first-out buffer on and off. I'm thinking of giving that a try.

Spectra & Spectra-E RVN-4001N Ver R 06.00.06 Jul-93 is the last Ver and it is able to run on Pentium processors.

Re capping, done properly, does not affect the programming 'ports' in the radio.

I'm sending it out to get checked. Thanks for your help.

The radio checked out fine

During a conversation with another operator I was told that the radio's service menu can be accessed via the control head.

To enter the Service mode, turn radio on, wait to see SELF CHK then press HOME 5 times quickly.

By pressing the zone button you can scroll through the following menu:

Zone, Mode, Radio, Tst Freq, Ch Test, Align and Exit.

Once on the particular field you want to access you press the home button.

In this case it was the align function (power increase).

I simply selected the LO POWER and HI POWER settings and changed the power output value (variable from 000 to 127).

Then selected EXIT and that was it.

No need to use the RSS afterall!