Thread: Motorola's MotoTRBO Anywhere (iPhone/Android)

Thanks

Default Motorola's MotoTRBO Anywhere (iPhone/Android)

http://www.motorolasolutions.com/US-...OTRBO_Anywhere

Cute. CTI Products must be a bit pissed off.

Anyone play with this? Is it out yet?

Anyone have the APK?

Thanks

This would be interesting to play with to see how well it works.
    Poor planning leads to poor results-->Welcome to OKWIN.

iamjason No Longer Registered

It would be nice to see Caterpillar jump on this with their line of rugged Android phones - perhaps with the app preloaded and a dedicated PTT button. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

EDIT: Contacted both CAT and Motorola regarding the availability of a phone that would take advantage of these features. Probably won't get one, but if there's an official reply, it will be posted here.
    Last edited by iamjason; Oct 10, 2013 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks

I don't think that's going to happen.

Keep in mind that Motorola Solutions (the Blue Moto) is also a handset manufacturer. They just unveiled the TC55 which would fit the bill as an enterprise-grade Android smartphone.

Also, let's not forget Googorola (aka Motorola Mobility or Red Moto)'s offerings... The Moto X is pretty cool imho (I have one) - much better product since Google bought em out.

But lemme tell ya, once the TC55 becomes available, I think I'll grab one.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

Plus, I'm guessing there will be some form of copy-protection in use to prevent casual cloning, if they are selling the app...

Thanks

Nope, the app is free. You pay by a user license and must buy a special gateway.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks
    Thanked 8,726 Times in 2,395 Posts

Unless they make it easy to interface, it won't sell too well. And the price is going to have to be reasonable. I'd also hope the software (user interface) is updated quickly, if any bugs/features get reported/requested. That's my biggest gripe when it comes to app support: lack of.

Thanks

Has anyone seen the app on either Play Store or App Store?

Thanks

Here is a brochure on the product.
    mototrbo-anywhere.pdf
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks

The biggest problem with this new product is it only works with connect plus. Requires an expensive gateway, and you must pay by the user. I would use a third-party application then this Motorola solution. Now if it work with CP / LCP that would be a different story.

Thanks

Is there any pricing info available? I can't even find pricing for the "expensive gateway".

Didn't realize Motorola has something like this for P25 systems as well: http://www.motorolasolutions.com/US-.../Broadband_PTT

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,014 Posts

Only if you can afford it, and are crazy enough to let it onto your system! LOL!
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

I imagine it would be useful to some extent for on-call EMS groups that need a P25 capable pager (certainly hasn't been proven enough to trust for public safety TX imho) I'd still be iffy at any rate. An on call FF can leave his dedicated pager sitting on his night stand and rest assured that it will stay on and do its job when a call comes in. With the app, I'd worry that my task killer has somehow gotten to it, my cellphone provider has had another outage, or any number of things.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,014 Posts

Yes, as we all know, when the stuff REALLY hits the fan, the first thing to go is the cellular network. I certainly wouldn't be depending upon it for reliable communications.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    Yes, as we all know, when the stuff REALLY hits the fan, the first thing to go is the cellular network. I certainly wouldn't be depending upon it for reliable communications.
    That's exactly what I was thinking... isn't that the whole point of dropping millions on all the dedicated wireless infrastructure? WTH is the point if that commodity network takes a dump and all you have is a smart phone that says "No Service" and no way of communicating with anyone since the portable is sitting at the station.

IMO : Given that Motorola Solutions is still a hardware company (I don't see them "shuttering up" the APX line any time soon), I get the feeling they stand to make a lot more $$$ off selling a tangible radio that than they would selling software for a plaform they don't totally control. I don't think Moto is pulling an IBM just yet!

I'm skeptical /\/\ would push this as a complete replacement for a traditional porable radio. I would bet small amount of $$$ this is aimed at the "big-wigs" that pound the pulpit about communications and situational awareness... buuuuutt are usually the one you can never track down because they don't want to carry a portable... yet force everyone else too >_<. Hey, at least with this they could actually be reached!

Good to know it exists though, on both P25 & the TRBO side

Thanks

They will tell you it is not a replacement for a radio. It is for people who CAN'T or WON'T carry a radio.

Thanks

This concept has been around for awhile. Our Motobridge system used to have 2 iden cradles so we could patch off duty chiefs & fire investigators in incident talk group through their Nextels...

Edited by Magnus -- Removed unlrelated ebay auction link.
    I'm the guy standing in background shaking his head when people show a complete lack of common sense....

"The very nature of public safety work causes Charles Darwin to spin in his grave."

Thanks

I've been told it'll eventually be offered for LCP & IPSC...can't recall what was said about CAP+. It's far more robust & secure than the other ADP offerings, and you can access up to 16 talkgroups, whereas the ADP solutions are a single channel. At the end of the day though, it's still a very niche market and they won't sell big numbers.

Thanks

Anyone get their hands on the apk? I'd really like to take a look at it...

Thanks

We have it deployed on our Connect Plus system.
    Seems to work well. The app is very sleek and user-friendly.
    Great for executive level commercial applications (the people who won't carry a full radio, but need connectivity to their fleet even when out of RF range of the system).
    Very expensive, but also very marketable.