Thread: Motorola "Boston Leather" straps for firefighter gear

Thanks
    Thanked 8,704 Times in 2,391 Posts

Default Motorola "Boston Leather" straps for firefighter gear

Motorola posted this to MOL yesterday. It highlights a new product available for firefighting applications: leather straps which prevent the radio from swaying, when worn on-person.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

I've been using these very exact products (I have a 6543XL and anti-sway strap) for over three years now. I'm glad to see Motorola associate themselves with Boston leather as they do make top-notch products. However, the leather holder for 7000XE from Boston Leather is not so good. It's fit issues are horrendous. I've been working with Boston Leather directly in redesigning that holder.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

They should issue a holster with a string-strap to tie around your leg like the old Western Hogleg Guns. The old MX360 with a 2-hour charge battery was that long (if not longer!).

Thanks

I've used one of those for years with my XTS's

Thanks

They are extremely popular in the Chicago area. One area FD ordered a few hundred APX7000XE and requested these straps, Moto couldn't deliver, all they had were nylon straps with no loop for the RSM. Looks like they rectified that issue.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

iamjason No Longer Registered

See these all over the place in the Minnesota Twin Cities both on fire and EMS personnel. As far as I know they've all been bought with personal funds. Don't know of any departments out here that have taken to issuing them yet save for (possibly) one of the hospitals for use with their ambulance service.

Thanks

Around here in the central CT area we have tons of those. I believe that alot of departments may even issue them with the radios.

Thanks

I've used a Boston strap for years. They are great also for standbys,grocery shopping,and anytime you are walking around in public for an extended period. When you are using a portable with a label mike, things don't ride up as much as when you're using the radio belt clip & clipping the mike directly to your coat or shirt. It's also more comfortable to wear when you're in the cab of the squad. I started with a Boston Leather universal case, Now I have fitted cases for both my XTS2500 & my ES51 from radio-tech.com. Their cases fit well, but their straps aren't quite has comfortable as the Boston Leather ones..
    I'm the guy standing in background shaking his head when people show a complete lack of common sense....

"The very nature of public safety work causes Charles Darwin to spin in his grave."

cdknapp No Longer Registered

I have also been using a Boston Strap for years and can't say enough good stuff about it. Between water and heat, etc., it still looks as good as the day I got it new (but I do take care of it- a little black shoe polish goes a long ways to not only keep it looking good, but helps protect the leather as well - just make sure that it is dry before applying). Very versatile wearing options; inside or outside of a turnout coat. You'd probably be better off getting these from a dealer though - I would imagine it would be more cost effective than from a radio manufacturer.
    Last edited by cdknapp; Oct 23, 2013 at 12:50 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

dammit, i want one... we dont see enough radio straps out here. just chest rigs

Thanks

This Made me even go and buy a strap. http://www.vententersearch.com/suppl...adioreport.pdf . Please move if there is a better place.
    One day I hope to be able to answer a question not just ask them.

Thanks

Haven't looked to see what Motorola is charging for these.. However I suspect they just order from a distributor and then ship em out so I figure you can do better on pricing just ordering from a dealer direct.