Thread: APX7000 stubby VHF/UHF dual band antenna comparison

Thanks

Default APX7000 stubby VHF/UHF dual band antenna comparison

I wanted to post a quick comparison of the two dual band antennas available from Motorola for the VHF/UHF APX7000 series.

Firstly there is the stock PMAT4001. 136-174 MHz and 380-520 MHz with GPS per Motorola specs. 21.4 cm or 8' 3/8" tall measured from the base of the rubber. It has a white SMA connector.

The second option is a slightly shorter. The PMAT4005 covers 156-174 MHz and 440-470 MHz with GPS from the MOL description. 15.0 cm or 5' 7/8" tall measured from the base of the rubber. It has a blue SMA connector.

As you can see from the numbers, it is 3/4 the length of the stock and antenna, and solves the armpit scratching problem. From an urban use standpoint, I can't notice a significant difference, but all the frequencies that I use fall within the ranges of the smaller antenna. Posted below is a photo comparison of the two options.

APX antenna comparison.jpg

Thanks

MOL still shows it as not available and earliest ship date of 10/15. But sheesh...$75!!! How can they sell "less" for "more"?

Thanks

Do you have the ability to sweep the antenna for SWR? I'm curious how bad the SWR is down at 144. I don't much care about performance at 170...

Thanks

Unfortunately I don't have access to anything I can sweep the antenna with right now.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,393 Times in 2,317 Posts

I give Moto some credit for listening to their customers and coming up with a dual-band helical, with GPS support. Helical, in the sense it's not considered a "full band" antenna like the "for armpits sake" version.

If I still had a APX, I'd gladly give this antenna a try.

Thanks for posting the pics and info, code352.

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by code352 View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have access to anything I can sweep the antenna with right now.
    How's reception down below 144Mhz?

If it's decent, I'll order one up and sweep it.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

Works just fine for RX all the way down, I don't think you'll regret it.

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up. I'll wait to hear the impressions of the performance in the 144 range.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AJ4VS View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll wait to hear the impressions of the performance in the 144 range.
    Mines ordered now and I'll sweep it as soon as I receive it.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

An online authorized parts dealer got the following response from /\/\ about this antenna:

"After speaking to our product planner regarding part number PMAT4005A, unfortunately it is no longer available for our resellers and dealers. The part is only sold to direct customers now and will be made obsolete once the stock runs out. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused

So in lieu of that, I ordered one from MOL for their overpriced $75 (I don't get a discount... Boo!)
    Let's hope the order comes through.

joes243 No Longer Registered

Do we know why they are discontinuing the antenna? I order mine Monday on MOL and got it today.

Thanks

Cyrus, any updates on your order?

Thanks

I've been using this antenna in the field now for a week. Although the low end of the VHF range of this antenna is 156, I'm able to receive just fine down to HAM VHF bands. I can transmit OK with some noise, but audible. As for the UHF range, the low end is 440 and works just fine for HAM use. I can't comment on this antenna's performance in the public safety band range, but I'd imagine it's better as the antenna is more suited for that. All in all, it's a big difference from the 4001 unit and is "armpit friendly".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    Mines ordered now and I'll sweep it as soon as I receive it.
    Hey cyrus, did you ever get a chance to sweep the antenna? Curious to see how far out of band you can push these things. I'm not going to hold my breath for 144, but there's some stuff closer to 150 that I'd be interested to see if this antenna can get down to without too much trouble.

Thanks

Yup, I swept it and compared it to the stock VHF/UHF/GPS antenna. Nothing really to write home about.

Both are about the same across the entire band. The stock antenna wins on VHF although not by much.

The new antenna seems to be better on UHF.

I don't notice much difference receive wise on frequencies below 148mHz.
    Cyrus

zelda425 No Longer Registered

sorry for being the newbie here, but how can I order one?

Thanks for the help!

Thanks

You need an MOL account to order one. And they are about $85 shipped. Twice as much as the PMAT4001A dual-wide-band unit, but IMO well worth it (for my needs, at least).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sjxts3000 View Post
    You need an MOL account to order one. And they are about $85 shipped. Twice as much as the PMAT4001A dual-wide-band unit, but IMO well worth it (for my needs, at least).
    Im not showing it at all anymore in MOL.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mwb9122 View Post
    Im not showing it at all anymore in MOL.
    Right you are... Just logged in and checked... all gone. That was quick! Guess we'll start seeing them showing up on eBay for $100+.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sjxts3000 View Post
    Right you are... Just logged in and checked... all gone. That was quick! Guess we'll start seeing them showing up on eBay for $100+.
    I really wanted one!

Thanks

Not to detract from the OP's gracious thread that he started (I'm very thankful as I managed to get one of the 4005's!..would never have known about this if it wasn't for this thread), here's another photo with a comparison of three antenna units on an APX7000.

On the left...... FAF5259A UHF R1 + GPS (380-470 MHz with GPS)
    In the middle... PMAT4001A dual-band + GPS (136-174 MHz and 380-520 MHz with GPS)
    On the radio... PMAT4005A dual-band + GPS (156-174 MHz and 440-470 MHz with GPS)

photo.JPG

joes243 No Longer Registered

Does anyone know why the are not selling them anymore?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    Yup, I swept it and compared it to the stock VHF/UHF/GPS antenna. Nothing really to write home about.

Both are about the same across the entire band. The stock antenna wins on VHF although not by much.

The new antenna seems to be better on UHF.

I don't notice much difference receive wise on frequencies below 148mHz.
    Thanks for the reply. When you say "about the same across the entire band", does that mean that SWR is favorable enough below 156 that TX should be okay on amateur 2-meter without risking damage to the radio? I'd prefer not to cook my finals on VHF for the sake of a slightly shorter antenna...