Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saber 3

wx5jch No Longer Registered

Default Saber 3

I bought one on eBay any chance of me being able to program it?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,388 Times in 2,315 Posts

I don't know; you tell us.

Thanks

sure.If its an analog saber or even an astro saber. Get a RIB and Cable find an old computer that you can run dos for the analog or an older operating system like windows 98/2000 for the astro saber and the software that is available in many places out there.

I wondered if it was

Will No Longer Registered

"Saber 3" is often used to identify many different radios. The model number would be helpful.

Model: H99QX+063H

I think he gave me the wrong model number. Let's try H43QXK7139CN

Let's try H43QXK7139CN

VHF 2.5 to 6 watts TX, Secure capable, 3 Keys plus 5 Rows Numeric and DTMF Keypad, Saber III

The actual frequency range is determined by the RF modules. 148 to 160 is common.

Now I need to figure out what software to order from Motorola. It's a beautiful radio looks brand new got it from the pd in Pennsylvania for $50.00. I want to try to use it in the ham bands.

Thanks

The software for the analogue Saber is NLA from Motorola. You should be able to find the Saber7 RSS out there with a good search. You will need a RIB and appropriate cable and a slow computer running DOS. Do not try and run the RSS from within windows.
    Last edited by b16a2; Oct 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM.

Thanks!
    Jim

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,530 Times in 738 Posts

You may have problems getting into the ham band if it's the popular 148-160 split. The VCO range is VERY VERY narrow and you will be lucky to get 2-3 MHz out of band. They won't go 10 MHz plus out like the newer stuff does. You might want to look for a Saber I you can get cheap in the 136-150 MHz range. These have modules inside ending in a "1" rather than a "2". You can swap in the modules from the lower range, and also unlike the newer unit, you can generate a new codeplug in the desired range and go from there.

There is also a "wideband" VCO that did 136-174 MHz but was only used in low-power radios for some reason, those ended in "10". If you take that VCO and the receiver module from that lower power unit and swap them into a radio with a high-power PA, you can get something fairly useful, a 6W radio with wideband coverage.

What's the best version RSS to use when programming the Saber3? My new rib box is in the mail
    Thanks Jim/ WX5JCH

Thanks

Saber RELEASE VERSION - R07.00.00 RVN4002J

I'm getting com port errors on my saber 3 I'm using rss 7.0.1 radio goes into program mode but no comms. Running dos 6.22 and saber from a floppy disk
    I've read elsewhere that saber software is different for the 3
    Any ideas?

iamjason No Longer Registered

Do you have a "Systems Saber"? If so, you need RVN4052C. I think R03.00.2 is the version commonly found in the wild.

If you're still having problems check your Com port settings (in the RSS menu and in your BIOS), your connections, and power to the RIB (IIRC the Saber doesn't provide its own power for programming, you need to plug in your RIB box).

Thanks

The Saber 7 RSS will do the I, II and III series Saber radios. Is your computer a 386 or 486 ?, I'm pretty sure anything faster would cause read/write issues even in DOS. You could get away with disabling the CPU cache on the faster Pentium processors and get it to program.

I'm running a 500 MHz gateway laptop serial port works fine on my other motorola software it was in service with the pd till the day I bought it
    I believe they used a newer version than is out there. My moto shop won't touch it not sure where to go

The Saber RVN-4002K RSS Nov-93 is rated to run on Pentium computers. Not sure what "Saber 7" is.....

Thanks

500MHz is to fast, in the day when the RSS was written CPU speeds where 33 to 66MHz. I recall having troubles with 100MHz CPU's.

Try a slower computer or moslow or disable the cache on the CPU

I'll have to raid my stash of old 386's moslo didn't work thanks for the help
    Jim

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,530 Times in 738 Posts

Here's another informative thread about sabers, and 3-4 comments in I have a download link for the CACHHK suite that includes CACHECTL, which I have had better luck with than MoSlo.

https://www.p25.ca/threads/3702-Need...orola-Saber-II

xtssco No Longer Registered

Did you manage to read/write your saber ? I still program / align those quite often . My experience and understanding is that not only the fast computer is the isue. The problem is mainly due to the fact that at the time M did code the saber RSS program the uarts (chip that interface computer to serial connector) did not have the FIFO (first in first out) optimisation and they had to create a sort of serial driver Inside the program. Only the 16450 and below uart are 100% non fifo and would work perfectly with saber rss. Unfortunately they belong to early 386 and some 486. All 286 did have non FIFO uarts . you might have luck with mowslow dlx or other software your mileage may vary but my experience was not concluent it would work read but not write or just ramdomly .. I tried 486 machines and most did not work and I could not understand why until I got the uart issue understood. I have to mention that the computer did not have math coprocessor either so non DX cpu is preferred.. To get you uart info you can use a dos program "ports.exe" from Marshallsoft I think it is now free ...From then I found a 286 on eBay which I use ... it is slow but safe !!

I'm using a compaq 133 MHz laptop still the same errors I'm suspecting my rib box but don't have a way to test it moslo doesn't help I'll try a few things maybe it will work
    Jim/WX5JCH

xtssco No Longer Registered

Hi Jim ,
    a pentium 133 is still a too fast machine ! you need a low end 386 ! look at the section

"The hardware required to program a Motorola Saber includes:"
    from this page :
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/moto...ber-index.html

you might also look at M's history of rss software here :

http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorola/rss/rss-2.html

Those radio’s rss is the most picky ever made by M !!! I could not believe it at first since I work in microcomputer and telecom field for almost 20 years. I can program astro saber from a pentium but not a regular saber because of the way they did made the rss ... even with a 486 laptop and cache off and moslo I spent hours on it with no luck because it was the slowest pc I could find ! I then found a 386 tower with old uart and used it for years then I went smaller with a 286 laptop because I did not want a huge computer just for one radio model (I own too many). I heard that the curent version of moslo deluxe v3 has uart and cpu tweak that might work with a pentium 4 with no waranty ! A old 50$ used eBay laptop is a sure bet ! Cheers !