Thread: XTS 2500/5000 Audio Out (3.5 mm jack)

Thanks

Question XTS 2500/5000 Audio Out (3.5 mm jack)

I currently have a 2500/5000 (about to sell the 2500) and I wanted to know the best way to hook this radio up to headphones and to a computer's line in / microphone port. This radio is used as a scanner (hidden talkgroup method) so having a external mic just to use the auxiliary port is over kill. I bought the BDN6676D audio adapter and, while this works, I had to modify the plug before it would work. Because my headphones cause the radio to key up (or should I say bonk me since I disabled keying up), I had to take the plug and pliers and remove the pin used for transmit. I plan to get more adapters so I don't have to carry one around but want to know if there is a better solution out there that doesn't require me to modify a plug.

Will No Longer Registered

You need a DC blocking capacitor and a series resistor in the "earphone" lead.

Why: grounding the earphone line is supposed to key the radio.

2 uF and a 2.2 k resistor is a good starting point.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

Doesn't the Hirose/Surveillance adapter have a 3.5 mm earphone jack on it for the 3-piece Surveillance accessory ear-mikes? That sounds like the easiest way and the lump on the side is less obnoxious than a full blown speaker-mic would be. Just be careful with the wiring as it's a 3-terminal connector (stereo type) and the third contact would be for the mic/TX/PTT signal.

Thanks

Would you happen to have a product make and model that I can search. I just got into the world of radios and I'm not familiar with most products.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

This is a generic one, but it's the right type I was describing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BDN6676D-Aud...item27d44334b0

A real Motorola one might be more desirable, some of them also have keyload capability for secure encryption key loading, but it doesn't sound like that's too terribly important for your considerations - this one does not.

Thanks

That's the one I currently have. Basically I had to clip off one of the pins for it to work correctly. When holding it up with the port on the top, the right column of pins, I clipped/pulled the 3rd pin from the top and that made it not attempt to transmit. I can still do that but I didn't know if there was a better way. I'm not very familiar with resistors so that suggestion may not be for me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NebraskaCoder For This Useful Post:

JMINN699 (Feb 06, 2018)

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Those pogo pins are hard to find and expensive, you usually have to rob them from other broken connectors to find them. Are you using a stereo (3 conductor) plug? If you are using a regular mono 2 conductor plug, it probably is shorting the 3rd contact and causing the transmit. You probably will have to wire your own plug to leave the 3rd contact unconnected. However at the expense of the adapter, it sounds like you have figured it out for now.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,704 Times in 2,391 Posts

I believe that adapter also requires a THREADED 3.5mm plug. They're not the same as a regular 3.5mm. It will sit loose in the jack, and not work properly. I could never find a source for threaded 3.5mm plugs, so I gave up a long time ago.

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their help!