Thread: HKN6161A cable to program XTL5000?

Thanks

Default HKN6161A cable to program XTL5000?

Sorry if this has been covered but a search on this cable didn't yield any results-

I see the HKN6161A as being a data cable officially, but I'm seeing reference to it being both a data and programming cable in ebay listings and elsewhere. My computer has an RS232 port-can anyone confirm this cable to work for PROGRAMMING the XTL? The 'programming' cables are USB w/ GPIO circular connector. Is this cable more reliable and universal since it's not USB?

Will this cable work on mid power and high power units?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,965 Times in 992 Posts

The HKN6161a will program an XTL5000 mid power radio from the rear, it is, however, NOT THE RECOMMENDED CABLE, since this will not normally be supported under all instances. Primarily these cables are used for data applications or special flash applications where other methods of flashing a radio have failed. The HKN6163a cable is the USB version of this cable.

The high power XTL5000 or XTL2500 or for that matter ANY XTL 100w radio does not have a 26 pin trapezoidal connector on it, so this cable is USELESS to program that radio.

A well equipped technician will have all flavors of these cables since one or more combinations may be necessary for advanced radio recovery techniques when traditional methods have failed, but the rear data cables are not the normal method recommended for programming. One should stick to the USB GCAI cable for programming with current versions of the software, as this is the most compliant and is what is supported.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

3. The Following User Says Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

MotFAN (Jul 18, 2014)

Thanks

Very informative - thank you. I had no idea there were so many cable options out there.