Thread: Question about the term "Bricking a Radio"

Thanks

Default Question about the term "Bricking a Radio"

I know what it means to have your radio bricked. It means that the system sends out a signal and disables your radio. Does it mean that it disables and locks the radio in the physical radio hardware or does it disable the software which is the codeplug so it won't work anymore? Does it mean that you have to send the radio to Motorola and have the Depot software re-build and force a new codeplug into the radio or are the physical guts need repair too.
    Remember to not take life so seriously. Nobody ever gets out alive....

Thanks

You mean inhibited?

Thanks

My understanding of bricking a radio is when we the end user (who like to tinker) make a mistake and kill the radio making it useless, sometimes recoverable and sometimes not. When the radio is killed by the console for not being an authorised radio on the network this is called being stunned or inhibited.

If you are in a situation where your radio has been stunned it goes into what is called ROS idle (Radio Operating System idle) where the radio will power up detect the state of the radio being inhibited and then monitors the control channel the inhibit signal was sent from. Nothing is displayed on the display indicating the radio has been stunned or inhibited. It has been said that when a radio is inhibited only the console that stunned the radio can send the revive signal to the radio or the Moto Depo has the tools to revive it. There are other methods that can be taken to bring a radio back as well.

Thanks

Bricking can also mean a radio was corrupted during a flash upgrade. As has happened to me when I have gotten the blue screen of death during the upgrade. Ugggg Luckily, usually you can recover them.

The physical difference from being Bricked AKA: Inhibited is the radio will appear as if it will start to boot and maybe transmitt light will flash a few times and appear to shut down to be dead. In the this condition the radio is very much alive and listening to the control channel.

If bricked from a failed firmware upgrade, results may very, you may end up with a radio in maintence mode, or a fail code, or be dead completly.

If you are a legit user on the sytem and your radio is inhibited, contact the system manager to unhibit it.

If you are not a legit user, there are warnings all over this site and you deserve what you got, a brick. Hopefully no one was injured if you used a duplicate ID.

I do hope your a legit user of the system, but always makes me wonder Y someone would come here to ask a question like this, when your admin is just a phone call away.

I will just assume you are curious and don't even have an inhibited radio.
    If you do and just found it, I suggest returning it to the local department, probably won't get a reward. But knowing morally you did the right thing.

Just my 2cents, sorry if I offened you.
    Last edited by moetorola; Oct 18, 2013 at 01:22 AM.
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,534 Times in 739 Posts

"Bricking" is a relative term, which is why it's not well understood. It depends on your skill level and your access to various tools whether or not you can recover it.

Highest to lowest level:

1. Radio is inhibited - Requires reading with Depot CPS or being uninhibited by the sending system.
    2. Radio will not read or write - Radio has corrupt codeplug, Depot CPS can generate or re-write a new or used codeplug.
    3. Radio will not come out of bootstrap - Radio has corrupt HOST ROM Flash (botched upgrade). The only way to fix this is to unsolder the ROM's and repogram (i.e. send to Mars).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Highest to lowest level:
    Also, "stunning" which kills the radio until a power cycle. I don't know what other radios/systems are capable of this, but it is a feature that exists on the Waris radios when operating in Passport mode.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,038 Times in 1,028 Posts

Every passport radio I have stunned stays stunned until I enable it.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Thanks

It's a general term that means the radio is broken and not working. It's not a specific technical term with any real meaning at all.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,534 Times in 739 Posts

Most importantly, it means at YOUR particular skill level, it''s a "Brick" to you, whatever that may be...

Thanks

One mans brick, is another mans bargain

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Most importantly, it means at YOUR particular skill level, it''s a "Brick" to you, whatever that may be...