Thread: buying XPR5500 - which CPS ? and EIDs

Mark No Longer Registered

Default buying XPR5500 - which CPS ? and EIDs

I'm looking to buy a XPR5500 (here in the UK Its a DM4600)
    wanting it for Ham use only. I read Mars' important post about cables too.

I only have access to MotoTrbo CPS 9 LA (build 470) - which is US + Latin America.
    i understand a new XPR5500 (DM4600) with the latest firmware needs the v.9 CPS,
    - so can i use that CPS with my region radio ?

If i need to buy EMEA CPS, i will but reading about these EIDs and seeing as
    i will be mainly using our Trbo sets on simplex, I'm interested in 'transmit interrupt' and other TDMA
    type features, (as well as normal FM) will i need to buy these 'transmit interrupt' as an option, the docs for the set
    suggest its part of the radios basic functionality, and i would i just need to enable 'transmit interrupt' in the CPS ?

Mark

Thanks
    Thanked 8,774 Times in 2,404 Posts

Mark, I can't speak on the DM4600 because I've never looked at the codeplug options (factory), but in the XPR5550, the Transmit Interrupt feature is standard. no EID required. The only EID worth obtaining is 20/25 KHz wideband operation. And if you're a paying customer, it's free. Seeing as you're in Europe, I don't think your radio will be 12.5 KHz locked. If it is, you may use the fix which is posted here on the forum. If that doesn't work, there are other options.

Thanks Mars .. thats good to hear, and its much clearer now. i've kinda got to an 'information overload' point like i did when i got into Astro at the moment

As you say, 70cms is still wideband here, but i have access to Mototrbo US/Latin America CPS 9.00,
    but on a new UK set, wil this force 12.5 on my UK set, or could it screw with the firmware or something i wonder,
    or could it just plain refuse to work on a different region set ?

which could perhaps a good reason to spend the cash perhaps.
    or i may need the 'fix' mentioned then, at some stage..

Thanks Mars
    Last edited by Mark; Oct 18, 2013 at 11:45 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,027 Posts

US software will not program the EU model and vice versa, they are region locked. EU models do not have a bandwidth restriction. TDMA mode (digital) is already narrowband anyway, so no worries on that front. You CAN buy USA models from vendors in London for very reasonable prices, and you could use the USA software on them with the fix applied. I buy my Trbos from a vendor in South Africa. Most of them still have a warranty.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Hi

Thanks for the help com501, Its a pity they are region locked, but its no great surprise that they are... i use a bit of FM too, and we're still wideband on FM over here, so i will get the proper EMEA CPS then, as i need wideband. TDMA will be a bit different to our FDMA Phase 1 P25 gear, certainly hoping to get set up on DMR-MARC at some time too. Interesting to hear they sell USA models in my hometown, i think for sake of complications i shall buy a EU model, and I do also have a quote from South Africa, small world, but UK sourced ones will come with the full legal warranty etc. using wrong CPS & patches may make me nervous if i need support.

Thanks !
    Mark

mtp850 No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Mark, I can't speak on the DM4600 because I've never looked at the codeplug options (factory), but in the XPR5550, the Transmit Interrupt feature is standard. no EID required. The only EID worth obtaining is 20/25 KHz wideband operation. And if you're a paying customer, it's free. Seeing as you're in Europe, I don't think your radio will be 12.5 KHz locked. If it is, you may use the fix which is posted here on the forum. If that doesn't work, there are other options.
    DM4600 interrupt is also standard

Quote Originally Posted by mtp850 View Post
    DM4600 interrupt is also standard
    Thanks MTP850 -

Mark