Thread: Astro saber 9600 P25 to monitor a trunking system (Minnesota ARMER)

aarpaz No Longer Registered

Default Astro saber 9600 P25 to monitor a trunking system (Minnesota ARMER)

I am looking at buying an ASTRO saber.

i want to be able to monitor the Minnesota ARMER with it.

i know how to program an XTS for this system but not a ASTRO saber

i already have the cable and the software for the radio.

this is the flash code

590008-041E80-4

Q806/G806 IMBE / APCO-25 Digital Operation
    H14/G114 Digital ID Display
    H101,G101,H169 Conventional Repeater Access (Analog Operation Only)(MDC1200 or Singletone)
    H868/W298 Conventional Multikey and Analog Conventional MDC OTAR
    H38/G51 Smartzone Operation
    Q352 Soft ID
    W947/Q947 APCO Packet Data
    Q387 Conventional voting scan
    Q173/G173 Smartzone OmniLink Operation
    G182 Enhanced Radio Call Protocol
    Q361/G361 Digital APCO-25 IMBE Trunking (9600kb Control)

Is this going to be possible?

thanks for your time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aarpaz View Post
    i know how to program an XTS for this system but not a ASTRO saber...
    When you say "XTS", do you mean an ASTRO 25 XTS (1500 / 2500 / 5000), or the XTS 3000 ? The XTS 3000 is pretty darn close functionally to the Astro Saber, so much so that they use the CPS.

You have the H38 & Q361 options, so at that point you'd need to make sure the Astro Saber has Firmware HOST R06.72.00 (DSP should be 08.03.05 or thereabouts)... or that you have all the things necessary to get the radio to that point (I.E. a refresh FLASHkey, a SmartRIB w/cables, and the right CVN file)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,542 Times in 2,357 Posts

aarpaz: That flashcode is invalid for the R06 host firmware. The maximum feature set is 548008-000480-9.

Other features are not supported in the firmware.

iamjason No Longer Registered

As stated before, XTS and AS use the same software. If you've already programmed an XTS for ARMER you should be able to drag and drop everything from your XTS codeplug to your AS codeplug. Only thing that would be different is the hardware configuration (your zone select will go from "A-B-C" to "A-B", and yaddi yadda).

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iamjason View Post
    As stated before, XTS and AS use the same software. If you've already programmed an XTS for ARMER you should be able to drag and drop everything from your XTS codeplug to your AS codeplug.
    As others have already pointed out, it depends which XTS he's got. Any ASTRO25 XTS will use different CPS.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

True. My mistake to assume the OP was using a 3000.

The xts I was referring to is a(n) 2500

OK so I did the hidden channel method and am receiving the digital audio and it is working well but it misses dispatch side or the officers side of the conversation sometimes. Or even misses the whole call. What could be causing this problem? Checked with unitrunker and it is definitely not affiliating

Do you have TX Inhibit assigned to any of your buttons or switches? 9600 doesn't play well with TX inhibit (i.e. use it and you'll miss transmissions).

If you're still having problems, I'd be happy to take a look at your codeplug. I'll PM you my email.

If I disable that how can I ensure no accidental transmissions

Thanks

By using the hidden talkgroup method. You need to go read that thread.

https://www.p25.ca/threads/2885-No-A...n-Instructions
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks

If I disable that how can I ensure no accidental transmissions
    How can the radio possibly transmit on a trunking system if you're sitting on/scanning from a conventional channel, and the designated voice TX member is set for "selected channel"?

You cannot transmit on a trunking system with this configuration.

Ohhh Ya. Alright I'll try to thanks for your help

Your Designated Voice TX member should be set to "Selected Channel". As long as your radio is parked on an RX-only conventional personality while scanning trunking, you'll never transmit on the system. If you were ever to inadvertently press PTT while scanning, your radio would revert straight to the conventional personality (and provided your personality is set to RX-only you wouldn't be transmitting on that either).

As for selecting a talkgroup directly and talking on it... Well... If you've properly programmed the radio using the "hidden" talkgroup method, you shouldn't even be able to do that anyway.

EDIT: Apparently in the time it took for me to type this, the question has already been answered... Oh well. Mods feel free to delete this if need be.
    Last edited by iamjason; Oct 29, 2013 at 12:08 AM.

It is still missing transmissions after removing the TX inhibit from the rotary switch

Do you have control channels from multiple sites programmed in to the same trunking personality (i.e. are you scanning multiple sites simultaneously?)

EDIT: Just got your reply. I'll check into that cp when I can crack open the laptop over break.
    Last edited by iamjason; Oct 29, 2013 at 10:32 PM.

I did have multiple sites in the radio. Then I programmed just 1 and it's still missing transmissions.

By the way I sent the codeplug.

Still having this issue. TX inhibit is off, and only one site is programmed and I'm still missing transmissions occasionally. Any ideas/suggestions that I could try?

Thanks

Still having this issue. TX inhibit is off, and only one site is programmed and I'm still missing transmissions occasionally. Any ideas/suggestions that I could try?
    Try enabling Omnilink.

Thanks

Two things:

1) radio could be out of alignment - you'll get symptoms like this. Easily fixed in the right hands.

2) It's somewhat possible that some of the transmissions are not being carried on the site you're listening to. This would be more prevalent in rural areas. Without divulging anything specific, about where are you? Rural? In the cities? Is the system you're listening to simulcast?

Quote Originally Posted by noaffiliatefan View Post
    Two things:

1) radio could be out of alignment - you'll get symptoms like this. Easily fixed in the right hands.

2) It's somewhat possible that some of the transmissions are not being carried on the site you're listening to. This would be more prevalent in rural areas. Without divulging anything specific, about where are you? Rural? In the cities? Is the system you're listening to simulcast?
    The radio is otherwise crystal clear and never cuts off in the middle of transmissions. Could it still be out of tune?
    I'm in a semi urban area that is simulcast.

Thanks

Absolutely - somewhere back in this thread you will see me struggling with it. Turns out once set correctly, the radio worked like a champ.

In fact if you're in a simulcast area then I don't think it's the second reason I gave.

Edited: make sure you try what Mars suggested too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Try enabling Omnilink.
    Enabled Omnilink and I've been listening for about 15 minutes. So far everything's clear! Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it. I'll update this later but so far it looks like this did it!