Thread: Dead XTL2500 Control Head

maxkelley No Longer Registered

Default Dead XTL2500 Control Head

Hi there,

I kept getting maintenance mode popping up on the screen of my XTL2500, so after reading around a bit, I decided to do a CH sync using the CH_AM file, and while it was in flashzap and writing, it all of a sudden stopped, and the update failed... Now, I can't seem to power on the control head (in order to get it to enumerate as a USB device so I can try the sync again.)

If I connect my USB GCAI cable to the radio drawer, and push the power button on the head, you'll hear Windows "bloo-bleep!" as it enumerates the radio as a USB device, but then you hear it "blee-bloop" as it disconnects a few seconds later.

Interestingly enough, I snooped the SB9600 bus on pin 5 (BUS+) of the TIB's DB25 connector, and I can see the radio start to spit out the softkey text (SCAN, PROG, etc.) but then after a short bit, it stops probably because the head is not ACKing any of the transmissions (although, the head should be responding via CAN, not SB9600...)

Anyways... What do I do now? :P

Thanks,
    Max

Thanks
    Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,027 Posts

Is this a high power or mid power XTL?

If this is a mid power (50w) then you should be able to connect to the radio drawer without the control head being connected at all, and it should power up, as long as you have the rear DB26 connector attached and the radio has power to both the radio and the read lead on the rear DB26 (if ignition sense is enabled - I do it anyway as a default).

What F/W version where you going from, and to? What SW version are you running, and I am assuming you have a refresh USB key and are not using the flashzap method without the dongle?

A high power drawer should enumerate with USB from the TIB if the FW is new enough. YMMV.

Have you tried to force the head manually into sync mode?
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

It's a high power drawer, and I was not using a flash key because it was just a control head sync procedure.

I have been connecting ignition sense not on the drawer but on the red connector on the head.

How do I manually force sync mode? I can't even get the head to show anything, not even flashzap (which I think is EMR+rightmost softkey+pwr).

Thanks

Will the head power up on its own? Just connect the red connector, black to ground, red to hot, yellow to hot and push the power button. No data cable to the radio. The head has its own micro-p onboard and should power up.

If it does NOT, you have a probable blown fuse issue.

It does not power up on its own, if I remember correctly. And by fuse, are you saying like chip fuse within the CHIB/CH itself?

Additionally, does anyone have a BSM or DSM for the M5 heads?

Thanks

There is a fuse in the control head, and I have the PDF for the M5, as soon as I can figure out how to upload it to the manuals directory I will post it there.

Anyone else got one?

Thanks

I figgered it oot. Your DSM for the M5 head is in the XTL manuals section.

Enjoy!

OK, thanks for uploading that! I went though and checked all of my supplies on the control head and all was good, I also checked the AVR and it brings up the supplies for 8 seconds until it times out and turns them off, which according to the service manual, is due to a lack of response from the OMAP... which points to it being "bricked" in a state where it has no bootloader, which I think is where I am.

Does anyone know if there's a way to recover these to a known state? When you do a control head sync (which is what I tried to do), it goes into flashzap mode for the control head to load FW, but mine froze partway through, and stayed there no matter how long I waited, so I had no choice but to pull power on it and try again, because I tried syncing again without power cycling and it didn't work.

I imagine the flash program memory in the control head is in some corrupted state and the OMAP can't boot. Any idears?

Oh, and additionally, I was just thinking about this... does anyone know if the RS232 GCAI cable would be more suited to this? Maybe in this low-level broken state, the head can't enumerate as a USB device?

Thanks

Can you get it to display anything at all by forcing it to boot into the flash mode? Without a radio connected or with?

It won't display maintenance mode anymore (it would before the sync), and I can't get it into flashzap... Flashzap is rightmost softkey + EMR + power, right?

Thanks

You are correct. To quote a famous doctor "He's dead, Jim." If you have a power supply with current indication, the only last resort you can try is looking to see if anything at all is running and stays running, but I think you have kilt it. Probably going to be cheaper to find a front half on eBay than to repair it.

mtp850 No Longer Registered

maxkelley, is your actual radio brick OK ? If your stuck, I am about to list a few moto items for sale which includes some xtl2.5k heads. Send me a PM if interested

Thanks

It is theoretically possible to boot the omap via serial or the onboard SD card slot. Jtag would also be a possibility.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Magnus For This Useful Post:

Scratchy (May 17, 2016)