Thread: APX6500 O3 Cable Woes

Thanks

Default APX6500 O3 Cable Woes

APX6500 with O3 head. Plug up either the USB programming cable or a keyloading cable (using the TKN8531, I think, with a Hirose to GCAI adapter) and you get "ADS hw N/A" error. It'll program, flashed it up to R10 FW (it shipped with R09) no problem, but this error sticks. Won't go away until you power-cycle.

KVL doesn't like it one bit. Says there's no radio attached.

Called Motorola on this Monday or Tuesday, still waiting on a call back. They had no idea what that message means. Also found out our 20 MACE algo upgrades were ordered wrong so waiting on a new CD to show up to load that on the KVL and try again. If you order algo upgrades to load with a KVL4000, give them the S/N of the security adapter on the KVL, not the serials of the radios.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,014 Posts

The whole MACE algo thing has been screwed up for awhile, even with XTL5000s. I don't think we ever get the right order the first time. I think my notes are better than the notes in the price book AND support at this point. You should try telling them you CAN have AES and ADP on a UCM in an XTL2500.... heh.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Thanks
    Thanked 8,712 Times in 2,394 Posts

I've flashed a handful of MACEs in the 7500s with the O3 head over the last few months. That "Hardware N/A" error came up a few times; it was always because SECURE HARDWARE in CPS was disabled. (Even though it shows up fine in SERVICE mode) Once enabled, the MACE flashed without any hiccups.

I was adding DES/AES algorithms, but was using the KVL3000 PLUS. I haven't used the 4000 yet, and don't intend on it. This may or may not be related to your problem: https://www.p25.ca/threads/4013-KVL4...g-Motorola-FSB Moto released new firmware for the 4000 in July; it fixed several bugs. If you haven't got the new firmware, you should upgrade.

Thanks

Our 4000 shipped after the FSB and has the new software already installed.

Will check that secure setting in CPS tomorrow, thanks for the tip.

The 4000 is goofy to do algo loads - you have to have the KVL-PC USB cable with the KVL connected and Windows Mobile Device Connect running, insert the CD in your PC and run the setup.exe which copies the files to the KVL. Disconnect from the PC, reconnect the security adapter, open the KVL app, and it will ask you if you want to load the available updates - say yes, hopefully it will validate (if the serial on your updates matches the security adapter's serial), and you should be off and running.

Only good thing it looks like is you (1) don't have to call in to get your upgrades validated and (2) can have multiple upgrades on a KVL at the same time - I think you can only have the one upgrade on a KVL3000, if you activate another upgrade before completing the first you lose the unused upgrades?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    That "Hardware N/A" error came up a few times; it was always because SECURE HARDWARE in CPS was disabled. (Even though it shows up fine in SERVICE mode) Once enabled, the MACE flashed without any hiccups.
    This.

As usual, p25.ca comes through with a solution. Thanks Mars. Now just waiting on my algo upgrade CD.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,712 Times in 2,394 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kf4lhp View Post
    This.

As usual, p25.ca comes through with a solution. Thanks Mars. Now just waiting on my algo upgrade CD.
    If Moto doesn't come through on your schedule/deadline, send me a note. Can get the job done for less.

Thanks

Finally getting back on this project. We got 20 boxes, each containing a single CD with one upgrade per CD, for 20 total. Only one left to do at this point, but what a convoluted way of doing things. I'd call off sick if I had hundreds to do.