Thread: MotoTrbo - programming / configuration

NRMPS No Longer Registered

Default MotoTrbo - programming / configuration

We have 150 MotoTrbo mobile radios installed in transport vehicles. We want each vehicle to be able to call the garage and no other vehicles hear the conversation. At the garage, we have a dispatch radio and then several handelds. We want to hear 2 way conversation on dispatch radio and handhelds. Can this be done? Currently, we have several radios programmed with same ID as dispatch radio. Therefore, we can hear incoming, but only hear that side.

Thanks

Hi,
    It sounds as though you want to make a private call to a group - I'd be interested the answer - as a mate had a similar problem.

He tried having each vehicle programmed to call only a specific group (garage + mobiles - like you) - the trouble was the limitation on the number of programmable groups.

BTW: Motorola - couldn't help him.

cheers
    Will B

NRMPS No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    Hi,
    It sounds as though you want to make a private call to a group - I'd be interested the answer - as a mate had a similar problem.

He tried having each vehicle programmed to call only a specific group (garage + mobiles - like you) - the trouble was the limitation on the number of programmable groups.

BTW: Motorola - couldn't help him.

cheers
    Will B
    We are able to hear incoming calls to "Dispatch" (which is a group) on all handhelds. However, we do not hear the outgoing call because it becomes a private call between dispatch and vehicle.

I have a couple of folks trying to figure out a solution. I will let you know if we get this to work.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,012 Posts

Type of system?

IPSC

Cap Plus?

Linked Cap Plus?

Connect Plus?

Single Conventional Repeater?

Talkgroup ID 1 = Base/Garage to mobiles.
    Talkgroup RECEIVE LIST on Mobiles = TGID 1
    Talkgroup ID on EACH MOBILE = TGID 2, 3, 4 etc. NEW ID for each mobile (new group call ID)

Talkgroup RECEIVE LIST on Base/Garage handhelds includes base ID plus ALL mobiles.

Mobiles can talk to base and garage handhelds.
    Base and garage handhelds hear all mobiles and base.
    Mobiles only hear base/garage handhelds.
    Mobiles cannot hear/talk to each other.
    Talk permit should NOT be set to always.

That should work.

There are some limitations, depending upon size and type of system.

If you need to have the mobiles talk to each other, you need to establish another talkgroup.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Thanks

A bus company up here does this exact thing with LTR. I know it isn't TRBO, but perhaps it would help?

The dispatch radio is set to TX on Group ID 1, and set to receive groups 1-255. Buses are programmed to RX on Group ID 1 and TX on a single group between 2 and 255.

This ensures that buses never hear each other, but always dispatch while dispatch hears everything. Using aliasing on the radio, they can see which vehicle is talking. Poor man's ANI.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post

Talkgroup ID on EACH MOBILE = TGID 2, 3, 4 etc. NEW ID for each mobile (new group call ID)

Talkgroup RECEIVE LIST on Base/Garage handhelds includes base ID plus ALL mobiles.

Mobiles can talk to base and garage handhelds.
    Base and garage handhelds hear all mobiles and base.
    Mobiles only hear base/garage handhelds.
    Mobiles cannot hear/talk to each other.
    Talk permit should NOT be set to always.
    It can be even simpler. Any reason why you want each bus on it's own talkgroup? The base RX list would be huge (is there a limit to how many members?) and would need to change when adding new radios, or have extra potential future talkgroups in it. How would you initiate a call to a particular bus from dispatch? You'd need a list of what bus is using what talkgroup. You wouldn't be able to talk to all buses at once, without using an All Call or have each bus monitoring a common talkgroup in it's RX list. Could it not just be:

Talkgroup ID on EACH MOBILE = TGID 2
    Talkgroup RECEIVE LIST on Base/Garage radios = TGID 1 & 2

This should do what is needed, I believe.

Thanks

The radio will automatically hear the call ID it is programmed to TX whether it's in the RX list or not.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    The radio will automatically hear the call ID it is programmed to TX whether it's in the RX list or not.
    That is why you need a separate ID for each mobile, and the TYPE of system limits the number of IDs, hence my question about what type of system the OP has. Limiting the receive TGID list to only the base ID automatically includes the mobile ID but makes that portion of programming relatively simple. Using group calls instead of private calls makes operation from the base much simpler.

Thanks

Sorry my last response was directed at ICE-T's solution. Your's should work, just a PITA to program.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks

Sorry my last response was directed at ICE-T's solution. Your's should work, just a PITA to program.
    Exactly, I was reinforcing your post. Nobody ever said this crap was easy. PITA is what we do best. I built a head banging point on my desk with a pad....

Thanks

I did not realize that...never tried it i guess. Nice monkey wrench to throw in there, Motorola. In that case, yes COM501's method needs to be used. I'd also put a common talkgroup in the mobile RX lists (ie: 500) so the base can sit on it, use the huge RX list to hear all buses, and be able to talk out to all at once.

Thanks

The TGIDs are dependent upon the system type, so the OP needs to answer that first. The system planner explains the valid ID ranges in detail for each system type.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    The TGIDs are dependent upon the system type, so the OP needs to answer that first. The system planner explains the valid ID ranges in detail for each system type.
    Yes, but the worst case scenario is 255 available talkgroups, is it not? The OP only has 150 radios to deal with, so no real issue.

Thanks

That is correct, but for clarity, anyone doing this should be aware of their system limitation.

Clumda No Longer Registered

The Op's system is Cap Plus. So max of 254 TG's/Contacts but not a problem. Issue is max of 16 members in RX Group List for the Base/Garage radios and as mentioned above the radio RX's the TG it's programmed to TX on.