Thread: ASTRO Spectra vs. MCS RF bandsplits

tsunami_australia No Longer Registered

[Thread split by Mars from other area of forum]

Out of curiosity is the Astro Spectras capable of the same RF range as the MCS2000 to consider as a replacement/upgrade until I can afford the XTL replacements?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,774 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsunami_australia View Post
    Out of curiosity is the Astro Spectras capable of the same RF range as the MCS2000 to consider as a replacement/upgrade until I can afford the XTL replacements?
    I'm not sure of the MCS RF splits as I've never owned one. I believe there was a thread here on the board recently, where someone commented the high-power version has a narrower split, whereas the low/mid-power MCSs have wide splits.

The UHF ASTRO Spectra comes in 4 ranges:

Q
    403-437 MHz (R1)

R
    438-470 MHz (R2 15W only)
    450-482 MHz (R3)

S
    482-512 MHz (R4)

mtp850 No Longer Registered

In Australia where tsunami is the Aussie delivered MCS splits are 403-470mhz(R) and 450-520mhz(S)

Astro Spectra splits are what Mars posted

MTP is correct about the MCS.
    K - 136-178 or there abouts
    R - 403-470 (now Q 380-470 in XTL's but no ability to get 478 which most of us use in the R MCS).
    S - 450-520.

I've never heard of a 66-88 being seen here as most of that was Tait/Philips/Moto Syntrx (Syntrx being an Australian mod of something else iirc).

As for bandwidth, afaik all MCS2000's are 12.5/25 per channel by software (CPS/RSS) definition at programming. All mine always have been anyway and the power level is the same irrespective of split.

Thanks for the Spectra splits, reminded me why they are frowned on here, they are kinda useless splits here where 403-470 is the king of UHF to do 2-5 jobs in one radio.

Unfortunately not many seem to know enough about the MCS around here to get any decent support of anything on them. I've phoned and emailed countless places looking for a siren kit/dek which I was made aware existed for them but not one person has been able to comment in any regard and the techs that did work on these beasts all seem to have retired or been placed away from the phones.

The thing about the MCS is it is much cheaper to replace if the vehicle goes walkies and insurance refuses to cover XTL's in the car due to their price (else I'd dual brick S+K AND keep my Q in the car once I got the dosh).

EDIT: Forgot to mention, LOVE the kitten there Mars lol.

mtp850 No Longer Registered

tsunami, yes all the Aust delivered MCS radios are 12.5 splits. It's simply a matter of programming

Spectra's are in VERY heavy use in Aust. There is no need for a radio to do "2-5 jobs" like what you have posted outside of hams and some wackers... They are simply in use to be on specific networks. There are a LARGE number Q split radios used in SA as they are compatible with the GRN there. NSW GRN no longer has any AS's due to the nature of the 9600 system. All have been moved to XTL/XTS or OTHER(APX/TAIT/SIMOCO). Most other groups not on the GRN also use XTL/XTS or Above but still some VERY big users still have them in service.

The MCS was never really a commercial radio. It was sold to govt agencies and some mining operators however that was in excess of 13 years ago. Most of this went direct via Motorola Solutions and not a usual dealer like you will be contacting. (note, factory delivered siren/dek kits were pretty much non existent as there was no real use for them here, do you really expect a radio dealer to know about something that is 13-15 years old when they have a hard enough time keeping up to date with current technology ?).....

I don't understand your statement about MCS being cheaper to replace and insurance companies refusing to replace XTL's. Are you confused by something(maybe alcohol)? Why would an insurance company refuse to cover a radio because of it's cost ? We are talking about govt vehicles here....... MCS2000's were cancelled MANY year ago and are NLA. Very few vehicle radios go "walkies". If anything, radios might go MIA if the vehicle has been in a hard hit(had an accident and gone to auction / too buckled to bother removing the gear) or is burnt(Rural Fire Service). Portables are a different story as they seem to grow legs.
    Last edited by mtp850; Nov 01, 2013 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtp850 View Post

I don't understand your statement about MCS being cheaper to replace and insurance companies refusing to replace XTL's. Are you confused by something(maybe alcohol)? Why would an insurance company refuse to cover a radio because of it's cost ? We are talking about govt vehicles here.......
    NICE! No I wish I could afford to be confused by alcohol. And NO it's not a government vehicle that I'm talking about, it is my own private vehicle and insurance (that's two dumbass assumptions now).

Since I still participate in certain emergency services and radio is also a hobby I was suggesting that yeah $200 odd for an MCS was cheaper than $700+ for an XTL last time I knew how to count.

As for radios going MIA, we have a bad vehicle theft rate around here and whilst the criminal element would have a hard time removing the one XTL I already own that XTL would be useless after the vehicle being burnt out which is what happens to most stolen vehicles around my area.

Now whilst insurance would cover the vehicle, I've not found any insurance company interested in covering XTL radios for a non-government body but please by all mind if you know of any (preferably NRMA) that will cover these radios seperately (NRMA have stated they WILL NOT cover them as part of the vehicle) then share please. Until such a time as I can find insurance coverage new for old for these radios it's not worth the $1k+ investment into them making the cheaper MCS replacement a more suitable option for all but one radio. (Shame as I'd love to dual brick.)

Else if your done attempting to insult me and have nothing valid to add, please don't bother making assumptions! If this is the attitude of Motorola users then perhaps I was better sticking with Simoco.