Thread: Astro Spectra W7 head change

RA1AIE No Longer Registered

Default Astro Spectra W7 head change

Hi all!

I have Motorola Astro Spectra W7 with HLN6401A head. I want to use YMN4016B head with this rado.

I bought this head and remote inter-connect board HLN6344C.

I was try to mount HLN6344C instead of HLN6401A head and connect YMN4016B to it, but radio don't power up.

Can anyone help me with this trouble?
    Last edited by RA1AIE; Nov 01, 2013 at 10:37 PM.

PSYKO_Inc No Longer Registered

Sounds like you got the wrong interconnect board; the W3 uses a different interconnect board than the W4/5/7/9 remote heads. You should be able to find the correct part number for a W3 interconnect board in the service manual. You will also need to get the correct S-record for a W3 radio with the same options as your radio and reprogram it in order for the W3 head to work correctly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,974 Times in 995 Posts

You should change the S record before you change the interconnect, too.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    You should change the S record before you change the interconnect, too.
    How I can to do this?

I read about S-records, Astro Lab/Depot, MTSXLab and other soft. But I don't found instructions to work with S-blocks and their data changing. Can someone help me with this?
    Last edited by RA1AIE; Nov 02, 2013 at 06:14 PM.

Ok, I have MTSX Lab and I can read/write S-records from/to my Astro Spectra. Also I have HEX editor. What I should change in S-record to change head type?

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 738 Posts

You aren't going to be able to simply "change head types". The definition of a head includes display type, keyboard type, and a whole bunch of button information. Plus going from one head to another modifies things like menu functions, whether you have a full keypad or a limited one or none will dictate what types of list selection you get for various things, etc. In other words, it's just not that simple.

For more information, search the site using Google's "site:p25.ca" option after your keywords, look for things like "button blocks" and "control head type" for more information but be warned it's not trivial.

The codeplugs are more or less built around what type of head they involve, your best bet will be to find an S-record or request one that is of the correct head type and band split you are interested in. Then you can simply copy it into your radio to test with. Eventually you may want to edit it to more closely match your hardware and tags.

Be prepared to do a full tune-up after inserting a new/unknown s-record into the radio as the tuning values may be off enough to damage the hardware if left keyed down too long.

Will No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Be prepared to do a full tune-up after inserting a new/unknown s-record into the radio as the tuning values may be off enough to damage the hardware if left keyed down too long.
    Right on, FIRST read the radio with the Tuner and write down all the alignment values. Then you can put the tuning values back after all the S-Record changes are completed.