Thread: XTL5000 Powering on on its own!? Wont turn off..

SoCalHAM No Longer Registered

Default XTL5000 Powering on on its own!? Wont turn off..

Hey I really need help everyone.. Just got an XTL5000 dashmount. Power cable from the radio is hooked up as usual to a power source that is successfully running my other rig... I sent the red cable from the accessory connector to ignition required power. The radio turns on fine! It wont turn off though! Regardless of if I have the accessory power cable running to constant power/ignition required power/or even have it disconnected to any power, the radio keeps turning itself on after I push the power button. It will power down, then the screen will flash, then it comes back on! I've tried every variant in the radio wide-advanced - ignition sense field. Anyone who can help me cure this would be a huge help! Ideally, I want the radio to power off (AND STAY OFF) when the car loses ignition power, or I press the power button to turn it off. I want it to turn on if i start the car (and the radio previously powered off due to me turning the car off/leaving it on) or me pressing the power button to turn it on if I manually turned it off. Can someone give me the settings in CPS to use, and the appropriate wiring configuration? Or is this issue something bigger?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,985 Times in 1,003 Posts

Are the required jumpers installed in the accessory connector BESIDES the red power ignition sense lead and the speaker connector? If the radio is missing the emergency footswitch jumper it WILL power up and try to transmit emergency.

The radio should be programmed for 'soft power off'. This will cause the radio to behave the way you want it to, provided that the LARGE red power stays hot all the time, and the ignition sense lead from the rear trapezoid connector is hooked to a GOOD ignition source. (GOOD= a source that goes OFF like zero volts and ON like 12 volts when hot - not somewhere in between).
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

How do I know if the correct jumpers are installed? I just bought the accessory connector brand new oem. Everything else is how u told me to set it up. Radio still turns itself back on after hitting the power button to turn it off. The screen flashes momentarily then it starts back up. Thoughts?

Thanks

If you bought the acc connector OEM, and it has the spkr connector, the power cable already installed, it probably has the jumper. You may have a power reset issue in the radio. Was the radio perhaps from a consolette base station?

Try loading a default blank codeplug from the samples folder in the CPS. Otherwise, many wonderful hours with the manual and a probe are in order.

Update... So the radio will stay off in the ignition power on/off only mode (the last setting where the power button is disabled). Does this help? Don't know where to go from here.

Thanks

Let me chew on that a little. Perhaps someone here has had the same issue in the past. Do you know where this radio came from?