Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming soon to a MotoTRBO near you...

Thanks

Default Coming soon to a MotoTRBO near you...

As announced in the MotoTRBO Yahoo group today... Sounds like some interesting stuff....

* New MOTOTRBO(tm) Digital Voting functionality which uses Voting Repeaters and strategically located Satellite Receivers to eliminate coverage holes and balance inbound/outbound RF coverage.
    * Improve GPS, Text Message, Raw Data communication performance and reliability through the use of Location and Registration in a single CSBK transmission.
    * Utilize the Radio Management (RM) enhancements for software license management and activation, offline programming, fill up/down in grid shortcuts and access control per RM component.
    * Other radio enhancements: Telemetry commands in SL radios, Flexible Receive List for user-managed Talkgroup Scan in Capacity Plus and LCP, Permanent Bluetooth Discoverable Mode for indoor location and Work Tickets for XPR5000 mobiles and XPR7000 portables.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,393 Times in 2,317 Posts

Very cool. But where the hell is AES encryption? I was told by Motorola it was on their roadmap for this year. Better voice security is absolutely required. Enhanced Privacy only offers a little more than 1-Trillion keys. That is nothing for today's modern computers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,965 Times in 992 Posts

Where is NAI Voice for direct IP connection to Trbo repeaters for North America? Its been available in Europe for a year. Why can't I connect my IP application directly to my trunking system and talk on the repeater? They seem to have no trouble in the EU doing it without control stations...
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Very cool. But where the hell is AES encryption? I was told by Motorola it was on their roadmap for this year. Better voice security is absolutely required. Enhanced Privacy only offers a little more than 1-Trillion keys. That is nothing for today's modern computers.
    Maybe they are waiting until after they get the Impres battery meter working on the portables.....

Thanks
    Thanked 8,393 Times in 2,317 Posts

Yes, what you say about EU firmware/features is very true. The XPR7550 Euro version has FPP in the firmware/codeplug. I'd LOVE to rip one of those radios with certain unnamed utilities and try to get it going in the Americano version.

For now, I'm satisfied with the spare 6550 I picked up. I added the GOB and FPP firmware and it's working great. Sure wish the 7550 was supported

Thanks

Me too. The turdbo fpp is the handiest test radio I have, except for the astro25 fpp.

Thanks

Seems like Motorola's EU products are always somehow a few steps ahead of what's released in the US. Of course that goes for a lot of other technologies too; it's not just limited to radios. One thing I always liked about the EU-region mobiles was the use of a TNC connector instead of the BS mini-uhf we get here stateside. At least Harris/MA-Com mobiles got that right.

Thanks

I'd settle for a BNC, like the repeater blocks even.

Thanks

Same here. I seem to recall seeing EU/Asian CDM series radios (especially the ones with the DTMF control head) having the BNC. Wish they would've implemented it with the XTL and APX mobiles. Oh well...

Thanks

a simple enhancement would be ability to sms other providers of hardware or am I asking too much

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by techman View Post
    a simple enhancement would be ability to sms other providers of hardware or am I asking too much
    Techman -- Note sure what you are specifically looking for, but our service offering includes the ability to connect Cellular devices with MOTOTRBO devices with either end initiating the conversation. Although from the MOTOTRBO side the targets do have to be preregistered by an Admin.

We put the feature in so Hotels and other commercial users could exchange text messages with senior staff not on property, or who preferred to carry an Android/iPhone/Blackberry device.

=======

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phonebuff View Post
    Techman -- Note sure what you are specifically looking for, but our service offering includes the ability to connect Cellular devices with MOTOTRBO devices with either end initiating the conversation. Although from the MOTOTRBO side the targets do have to be preregistered by an Admin.

We put the feature in so Hotels and other commercial users could exchange text messages with senior staff not on property, or who preferred to carry an Android/iPhone/Blackberry device.

=======
    Hi,

I was looking for the ability to sms between hardware providers such as moto to hytera/harris/simoco/tait or the reverse. I'm not sure of this functionality has been included in recent releases of code for moto radios.

t

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by techman View Post
    Hi,

I was looking for the ability to sms between hardware providers such as moto to hytera/harris/simoco/tait or the reverse. I'm not sure of this functionality has been included in recent releases of code for moto radios.

t
    Well, if I were a betting man I would guess that text messages between vendors devices, except at the vary basic level will never work, expect maybe through a gateway device of some sort. They all seem to have there own version of the "standard".

Thanks

Well, if I were a betting man I would guess that text messages between vendors devices, except at the vary basic level will never work, expect maybe through a gateway device of some sort. They all seem to have there own version of the "standard".
    Some of the compatability testing reports from DMR site indicate vendors do test and pass sms and other data services, testing in the workshop shows simoco and hytera will text between each other and I believe tait also plays will with simoco and hytera but not had any radios to tinker with.

syntrx No Longer Registered

More accurately, there is no standard! Text messaging is out of the scope of the ETSI standards.

Motorola have patent protected their implementation specifically to prevent other vendors from building compatible equipment.

Thanks

Thank god I have a vertex so I can still text my buddies who have XPR's!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by syntrx View Post
    More accurately, there is no standard! Text messaging is out of the scope of the ETSI standards.

Motorola have patent protected their implementation specifically to prevent other vendors from building compatible equipment.
    It is sad they take this approach and do not want to play nice but then again 'it is what it is'

Thanks

If you were selling radios and had the Chinese cloning everything you built, you might choose the same tactic....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    If you were selling radios and had the Chinese cloning everything you built, you might choose the same tactic....
    The question was about patients and interoperability between other vendors and not so much about making a product easy enough to clone.

A number of multinational company’s out there who have worked out how to minimise this issue around cloning of product and use patients to control access into a market.

I did find it scary that within a month or so of the DP/DM2000 series (or equivalent series in other markets) radios have been cloned and available for sale if you know where to source them from. I don't promote 'Replication and Duplication' which occures with in all countries but gee's this was quick turnaround.

Thanks

Motorola is one of the most patent aggressive companies out there, but you cannot enforce patents against a country like China that ignores international law.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 651 Posts

Default Coming soon to a MotoTRBO near you...

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    Motorola is one of the most patent aggressive companies out there, but you cannot enforce patents against a country like China that ignores international law.
    Unfortunately international patent protection does not exist, and you need a patent issued from the country in which you want to enforce your rights. Motorola would need a Chinese patent in order to go after an infringer in China.

Thanks

And the chances of getting that are zip to nil.

Thanks

I'm still waiting for multiple digital IDs per radio.....

When that happens I'll join a DMR ham group, but not until.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by syntrx View Post

Hi guys,

I just checked the doco on the TMS ADK ...

There are 2 x fields in the SMS message called Address Size and Address.

The doco also indicates that this field could contain an Application Layer address (or IP Address) which is used if the destination is outside the current Network.

To me that suggests a PC Application could send an SMS Message to a properly configured Text Messaging Server (probably another PC app) which could suitably pack the message and then send it on to some remote Network IP Address.

May or may not be correct - but it is how I read it.

cheers
    Will B
    Last edited by oldfart; Dec 23, 2013 at 08:13 AM. Reason: grammar and spelling

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
    Unfortunately international patent protection does not exist, and you need a patent issued from the country in which you want to enforce your rights. Motorola would need a Chinese patent in order to go after an infringer in China.
    Sounds correct, and if the case as serious enough it would be trade issues and import blocks at the US end and they would be stopping radios from other vendors coming in for sale.

Point still remains if Motorola has a patent on sms for DMR (and they may have from the mobile phone days) then they are not choosing to enforce it but while this stand off continues the other terminal makers have worked out how to play with each other.