Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade 512k astro spectra

Thanks

Default Upgrade 512k astro spectra

Is upgrading from 512 to 1meg as simple as swapping a different vocon in? Are there any other hardware requirements?

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 738 Posts

Yes, it's that easy. No hardware differences exist in the 512K boards vs. 1 meg.

The feature differences are not that great either. Software wise, you will gain soft-ID on RX, TX still works the same. You will be running the newest DSP version then too, which is the major upside.

Thanks

Cool thanks. They will be for 9600 trunking so that's all good

Thanks
    Thanked 8,484 Times in 2,342 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gjhamilton View Post
    Is upgrading from 512 to 1meg as simple as swapping a different vocon in? Are there any other hardware requirements?
    Don't forget about the tuning values. And even after cloning them over, I would recommend a realignment (or a check at the very least) as each vocon is slightly different in terms of parts tolerances, and how those affect various voltages/references when communicating with the command board.

Motorola states (in the BSM/DSM) alignment is necessary if replacing a vocon. A swap is obviously the same thing.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 738 Posts

Yeah, but they weren't banking on a wholesale S-record swap! Mere mortals were not meant to mess with such magick.

If you do swap in your old s-record directly, is about the ONLY scenario where you don't need to re-tune it.

Otherwise, read and write down your old tuning values in the service/tuner utility, and re-enter them BEFORE you attempt to TX.

deputy13 No Longer Registered

Will the VOCON board from a UHF Astro Spectra work in a VHF range 1? If so what additional changes need to be made?

Thanks

Thanks

It should. I have used uhf to 800mhz. You will just need the appropriate s-record for what you are going to.

Thanks

yes it will. you will need to put a VHF image (srecord) into the board. The steps bave been discuseed in other threads. Dont forget to save the original codeplug, srecord,tuning information from the UHF in case you want to go back. Do the same for the current vocon in the VHF. You will have to load in the tuning values from the old VHF vocon to the new VHF vocon once you have made the change.

To get the srecord I read that I need MTSXLAB version 2. I have MTSXLAB but don't remember the version off hand.

Thanks

Any version will do. read the srecord , save it then load it to the new vocon.

Will a 1meg vocon board froma high power spectra astro work in a mid to lo power? Are they the same board?

Thanks

The Vocon board from the high power Spectra will work, its the S-Record that gives the vocon its model specifications

Thanks I was looking at an ASTRO Spectra document that did show the same board. I will make a copy of the existing srecord before I would install another vocon. I just hope that the ones that are from the Government that they haven't removed the vocon boards.

I hear that DSP6 is not very good for P25 and I have observed it listening to DPS. Sounds pretty bad at times. The radio I have has a 512k vocon with DSP I06.03.02. I am looking at getting a 1meg vocon with 9.51 firmware and DSP 06.04.11. How difficult is it to upgrade the DSP to 08.03.05?

Thanks

You need and srib, flash cable, ibutton, and the proper cvn.

What is an ibutton? Know about the srib, flash and cvn but not aware of a ibutton?

Thanks

It's what you. Need in order to flash the radio. You buy them from motorola. Each flash is 75.00.

I have MTSX LAB ver 3.00.02 but when I read my Astro Spectra radio f2 Service I get copeplug too new for this application. How do I get to read the srecord and save that file?

Thanks

I don't know if you are aware but putting a new srec will not change the firmware.

I understand that as I am changing the vocon as the one in the radio is a 512k and I have a 1meg to replace it with. The problem is the 1meg has DSP6 and there are problems with it listening to p25. I am told I need DSP8 which I have the cvn file just no way to upload it to the board. I have a friend that may be able to do that for me as he has the items necessary to flash. Just want to make a copy of the srecord.

Thanks

Just so you know the s record contains information as to the size of the vocon ie 512k or 1mb. I haven't heard of this ever causing an issue if on the wrong size board but just wanted you to be aware.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,484 Times in 2,342 Posts

FYI, I emailed our legal contact at Motorola about a month ago and requested permission to post R03.00.02 (MTSX Labtool 10/24/94) on the forum. This software is absolutely useless and causes ZERO loss of revenue. I did not hear back.

Should permission be granted, we can support this process (above posts) and post detailed screen-shots of how to properly utilize the software tool to read/write s-records. The policy of the forum is we do not support proprietary software tools, so it's quite frustrating when there's help required in converting/repairing/tweaking UNSUPPORTED radios (all hobbyists) and we can't give the help...

Thanks

The DSP is not difficult to upgrade out of circuit if you have the required tools and skill. If you do not have either in circuit or out of circuit required tools it may be more cost effective to send your vocon to someone who can do it for you for a one off upgrade.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    FYI, I emailed our legal contact at Motorola about a month ago and requested permission to post R03.00.02 (MTSX Labtool 10/24/94) on the forum.
    Is there any version of MTSX that is already available here? If so, is it of any value for Astro Saber or Astro Spectra?

Thanks

I don't think any Lab versions, no matter how ancient, will be here unless M says it's OK.