Thread: Soo... Bought a few spectras. Now what? (Spectra help ?)

radiohead No Longer Registered

Default Soo... Bought a few spectras. Now what? (Spectra help ?)

So I purchased a few spectras non astro for a good price. VHF UHF for ham. However I run XP so dos is out from what I read. Can anyone walk me through how to build or what kind of computer to get, what o.s to run and how to get the rss from the xp machine to the dos capable machine. Total newbie question but I haven't seen anyone posting computer info or step by step type stuff and I've been scouring a few forums for weeks.

Thanks

Your probably not going to find the kind of how to you are looking for here as this forum is geared towards higher end users and radio professionals. I will tell you that you may need to find a older PC running DOS or windows 95 or 98. You might be able to get away with using a bootable USB drive and the cache off utility on your XP machine.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

PSYKO_Inc No Longer Registered

You'll need a RIB for programming (I use one from Kawamall on eBay) and programming cables which can be made with off the shelf parts from any electronic supplier; pinouts can be found over at repeater-builder. I've been using a Pentium 2 Dell laptop running DOS 6.22 with no problems, I did have to use the "cacheoff" utility to make it work though. The RSS is no longer sold, but can be found on this site. Depending on how new your XP computer is, you might be able to make it work booting from a DOS floppy. If the software will load, the first thing you want to do is read the radio and save the codeplug. If your radio ends up bricked somewhere down the line, that known good codeplug can be the only thing that will save it.

Quote Originally Posted by PSYKO_Inc View Post
    You'll need a RIB for programming (I use one from Kawamall on eBay) and programming cables which can be made with off the shelf parts from any electronic supplier; pinouts can be found over at repeater-builder. I've been using a Pentium 2 Dell laptop running DOS 6.22 with no problems, I did have to use the "cacheoff" utility to make it work though. The RSS is no longer sold, but can be found on this site. Depending on how new your XP computer is, you might be able to make it work booting from a DOS floppy. If the software will load, the first thing you want to do is read the radio and save the codeplug. If your radio ends up bricked somewhere down the line, that known good codeplug can be the only thing that will save it.

Thank you. Gives me a bit of a idea on what to do. I do have a RIB and cable. I am just stuck on the. Operating system side as most of my radios are newer xts 2500 and such.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,965 Times in 992 Posts

Find a good Windows XP machine that is about 6-7 years old and you should be good. You can dual boot or reformat and use in DOS. Dual boot for most people is what works. I use old Toughbooks for DOS.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    Find a good Windows XP machine that is about 6-7 years old and you should be good. You can dual boot or reformat and use in DOS. Dual boot for most people is what works. I use old Toughbooks for DOS.

Maybe mine will work. It's 11 years old.. Can you tell me how or point me in the right direction

Thanks

Here is one way, there are probably hundreds of others.
    http://odin.fdos.org/dual/doc/DualBo...20Beta%202.pdf
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Here is one way, there are probably hundreds of others.
    http://odin.fdos.org/dual/doc/DualBo...20Beta%202.pdf

Thank you magnus. I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

No problem, we are glad to help, just make sure you read read read before asking questions

iamjason No Longer Registered

Older machines that will do everything you're looking for are plentiful and cheap. You can usually find a good older Thinkpad laptop that'll run both DOS 6.22 and XP/Me/2000 in dual boot. You'll then have something that can run newer CPS and older RSS.

Or if you really feel like fur coats and broken keyboards, you can swing by your local thrift shop and find an old Windows 98 machine for a few bucks. It'll have everything you need - serial ports, even the ability to boot directly to DOS. Only problem with really old stuff is - you may not be able to run the latest CPS if you have both older and newer radios.

Quote Originally Posted by iamjason View Post
    Older machines that will do everything you're looking for are plentiful and cheap. You can usually find a good older Thinkpad laptop that'll run both DOS 6.22 and XP/Me/2000 in dual boot. You'll then have something that can run newer CPS and older RSS.

Or if you really feel like fur coats and broken keyboards, you can swing by your local thrift shop and find an old Windows 98 machine for a few bucks. It'll have everything you need - serial ports, even the ability to boot directly to DOS. Only problem with really old stuff is - you may not be able to run the latest CPS if you have both older and newer radios.
    Well my luck hopefully turned. I was at a friends house tonight and he gave me a old compaq presario running windows 2000. I'm going to try and hunt down a copy of windows 98 it has the proper com ports as well as cd and floppy. So hopefully it will do. I've been scouring the forums as I'm dos retarded and don't even know how to run the rss from dos -_- but it'll be a fun learning process i suppose.

I love the the sig Line btw

iamjason No Longer Registered

If you look around, the Windows 98 .iso file is out there somewhere. Burn this to a disc using the proper software (Roxio, etc) and you'll have a Windows 98 install disk. You'll still need the product key however.

DOS isn't too complicated. Just make sure to keep your RSS close to your root (something like C:\mrss, c:\mrss\astro, etc) and don't use long names for your files.

Your most used commands will be (type command and hit enter):

cd.. (go up one level - go from c:\mrss\astro, back to c:\mrss, etc)
    dir (list file contents)
    cd <file name> (open file)
    <program name> (run program)

And thanks!
    Last edited by iamjason; Nov 12, 2013 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iamjason View Post
    If you look around, the Windows 98 .iso file is out there somewhere. Burn this to a disc using the proper software (Roxio, etc) and you'll have a Windows 98 install disk. You'll still need the product key however.

DOS isn't too complicated. Just make sure to keep your RSS close to your root (something like C:\mrss, c:\mrss\astro, etc) and don't use long names for your files.

Your most used commands will be (type command and hit enter):

cd.. (go up one level - go from c:\mrss\astro, back to c:\mrss, etc)
    dir (list file contents)
    cd <file name> (open file)
    <program name> (run program)

And thanks!

great advise thank you. Can you boot from win 95 into dos the same way? Reason being I have a old copy of 95

Will No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by radiohead View Post
    great advise thank you. Can you boot from win 95 into dos the same way? Reason being I have a old copy of 95
    Yes you should be able to have your Win 95 boot to DOS.

The main thing here is the Windows part must not start.

Thanks

I use a USB stick with MS-DOS on it just to program older stuff using a Dell D620. Works very well for application.

Living in a van, down by the Little River in Alabama
    Thanks

First you drink,

Then you understand RSS.

Seriously, good luck, ask any questions. There is a lot of good information and people out there on the Spectra series.