Thread: Quantar UHF R1 to R2

Thanks

Default Quantar UHF R1 to R2

Picked up a nice used Quantar for a cheap gamble and ended up with a R1 unit. I think it would be easiest to switch out the receiver to a R2 unit. I am getting VCO lock on the TX side up to about 439.5000 MHz. Has anyone on here attempted and had any luck at converting a R1 P.A. and exciter to R2? I have a full set of service manuals and notice quite a few component value changes noted in addition to the black box known as the coined final assembly that is the big unknown. If anyone on here wants to do some trading for R1 modules I am game! Going to use this as a ham repeater so no worries about some bench tech getting a frankenquantar on the bench..

Regards;

Thanks

Trading modules is the only reasonable way to do this. Trying to modify an R1 module to R2 is essentially reinventing the wheel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by d119 View Post
    Trading modules is the only reasonable way to do this. Trying to modify an R1 module to R2 is essentially reinventing the wheel.
    You are correct. I spent some time looking at the VCO in the exciter. There are laser cut traces for the low/high ranges noted as VCO 1 and VCO 2 in the schematics. I was hopeful that somehow these might act independently from the PLL and steering line voltages which might have been preventing a lock. I physically shortened them thinking that it would move them up in frequency. Well it didn't change a thing and the exciter still locks on with the exact same voltages displayed in the metering screen. The exciter was useless for my application so it was worth a try just to see what if anything it changed. More a fun exercise than anything.

Regards;