Thread: Trouble with opt file on EFJ 5100

Thanks

Default Trouble with opt file on EFJ 5100

Hey guys,

I have been beating my head against the wall today trying to figure this out from threads here, on a few other boards, & searching Google............ I just got a "new to me" 5100 last night but it's an older one ( v1.18.15 using PCC 1.18.0.2) and there are no option files showing up in the data folder after I save the programming. I was going to play with hex and try to enable a few options playing with hex edit but like I said I can't find that file.

Am I missing something or will a radio this old not let me do it? It's already got FPP enabled, I just wanted to play around with the other stuff. Anyone that might be able to shed some light on this would be much appreciated !!
    DWM

Thanks

The option files are "one way" - they are used to load additional options into a radio, but the radio does not save an option file. The codeplug can be saved, but this does not contain the option information (you will note that if you load a codeplug file without the radio connected, PCC doesn't know about options). There is a separate program (PCIssue) that reads the option info, can edit it, and also can independently produce a option file to be loaded into your radio (it needs to know your ESN to do this, btw - an option file won't work unless the radio's ESN is listed in it).

Hartley

Thanks

What? PCC can certainly save options from a radio. The "view options" menu reads the radio and gives you the option to either save the current options to a file or load new options from a file.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XPR8300 View Post
    What? PCC can certainly save options from a radio. The "view options" menu reads the radio and gives you the option to either save the current options to a file or load new options from a file.
    XPR8300 you go to it before I could. Hartley, what you're saying is absolutely contrary to what countless other threads have said and others have proved. And the codeplug does have the option information in it as others have changed/added options in their radios by editing the correct string in the codeplug file in a hex editing program. Might want to do some more checking on that. If PCC didn't know about option info it certainly wouldn't have a read option info button to read the options from the radio. And we wouldn't tell people that are using the hex edit way of changing things to change a bite at a time in hex and then read the radio with PCC to see what got enabled.

I may be a fairly new to this forum, as well as EF Johnson products, but I'm not to radio in general. I did system design/engineering and installations for 14 years until an unrelated back injury took me out of that and the fire department. I'm well aware of what PCI can do but I'm not going to spend hours on end trying to search for a copy in the wild. It's not worth all that.

If anybody has a rough idea of where the right string may be in the codeplug/.rcf file is when you open in in hex editor is please let me know, or if you happen to know the answer to my original question.

To Hartley, I'm not trying to be a jerk but saying that something can't do something that it can could mislead a lot of people.......
    DWM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XPR8300 View Post
    To be fair, older version of PCC did not have a save options button; that was added several years afterwards. There has always been a load options though.

Thanks

Well, I guess the version of PCC I'm looking at (1.30.7) has no ability to write an options file, at least not with a version 1.18.15 radio I tested it with. I also looked at 1.28 and don't see it there. The only two buttons available on the "read options" screen is "Update Options" (which will read an .opt file into the radio)and "Close". There is no option available in the "Transfer" tab to save an options file, either. If I read a codeplug file from the disk, PCC will let me edit it, and write it to a radio, but it won't allow me to see the radio's options until a radio is actually connected for it to read. If the options are in the codeplug file, PCC doesn't seem to know about it.
    But it strikes me that the original complaint was that PCC wasn't doing that for you anyway?
    One thing that strikes me is the firmware version in your HT (1.18.5) is close to the latest version available for the version 1 radios (1.18.15), yet the PCC version you are using is way olde - from what I know, the correct PCC version for that firmware rev would be 1.30.x. When we updated our Version 1 firmware to 1.18, we had to upgrade to the 1.30.x PCC from the older 1.28.

I do not believe you can read a Version 1 radio (no matter what firmware version) with PCC later than 1.30.x - for sure 2.10 and 2.14 don't work. Unfortunately, I don't have a Version 4 or 6 radio here to look at to see if the "Read Options" screen has grown a "save options" button. So what versions of PCC have this "save options" button?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IntrinsicallySafe View Post
    To be fair, older version of PCC did not have a save options button; that was added several years afterwards. There has always been a load options though.
    I'm afraid that's what I've ran into with mine since it's running 1.18.15 and I'm having to use 1.28.0.2 to program it. I've dug and dug through the current codeplug I've got dropped in it now with various hex editors and I've not had any luck with finding the ESN / Option String. Maybe I'm off base thinking I'm going to find it in there and if I am then I will admit that I stand corrected. IS, can you give any insight to finding that particular information in the code plug looking in hex?
    DWM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hartley View Post
    Well, I guess the version of PCC I'm looking at (1.30.7) has no ability to write an options file, at least not with a version 1.18.15 radio I tested it with. I also looked at 1.28 and don't see it there. The only two buttons available on the "read options" screen is "Update Options" (which will read an .opt file into the radio)and "Close". There is no option available in the "Transfer" tab to save an options file, either. If I read a codeplug file from the disk, PCC will let me edit it, and write it to a radio, but it won't allow me to see the radio's options until a radio is actually connected for it to read. If the options are in the codeplug file, PCC doesn't seem to know about it.
    But it strikes me that the original complaint was that PCC wasn't doing that for you anyway?
    One thing that strikes me is the firmware version in your HT (1.18.5) is close to the latest version available for the version 1 radios (1.18.15), yet the PCC version you are using is way olde - from what I know, the correct PCC version for that firmware rev would be 1.30.x. When we updated our Version 1 firmware to 1.18, we had to upgrade to the 1.30.x PCC from the older 1.28.

I do not believe you can read a Version 1 radio (no matter what firmware version) with PCC later than 1.30.x - for sure 2.10 and 2.14 don't work. Unfortunately, I don't have a Version 4 or 6 radio here to look at to see if the "Read Options" screen has grown a "save options" button. So what versions of PCC have this "save options" button?
    You make a good point.......... I already had 2.10 when I got this radio. It will read the radio & options fine but of course it will not write to the radio. If you try I get the error that 2.10 doesn't support writing to radios with a file format older than 5.9. Mine has 5.8. I've been using 1.28 to do the programming but have been wondering if I could use a little newer version plus wanting to update the f/w if I can. I'm new to messing with EFJ stuff. Ever since I got my start in radio everywhere I've worked and our county public safety system are all married to Motorola so I've not messed with much outside of that, with the exception of Kenwood and Midland.

Do you guys know if I can bump the firmware up on it? Here's a couple screen shots from trying to use 2.10. One you can see the file size error message, and the other is a shot of the version info for the radio with the S/N erased for obvious reasons.

DWM

Thanks

Daniel, you are already at the max firmware version for a Version 1 5100. While the firmware can be upgraded within a basic version, you can't go up (or down) between versions (AFAIK..:-) Once you get above version 6, I don't know, but that holds true up to there. Within the first 4 versions, I know for sure that there are actual physical differences between the boards.
    PCC 1.30 (the last/highest Version 1 software) should work for you, but anything starting with a 2 is not going to work (as you discovered). I don't think there's a whole lot of extra in 1.30 over 1.28, however (I really should go look, I guess).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hartley View Post
    Daniel, you are already at the max firmware version for a Version 1 5100. While the firmware can be upgraded within a basic version, you can't go up (or down) between versions (AFAIK..:-) Once you get above version 6, I don't know, but that holds true up to there. Within the first 4 versions, I know for sure that there are actual physical differences between the boards.
    PCC 1.30 (the last/highest Version 1 software) should work for you, but anything starting with a 2 is not going to work (as you discovered). I don't think there's a whole lot of extra in 1.30 over 1.28, however (I really should go look, I guess).

Hartley, thanks for your help and input. If I get some time later tonight after the kids get settled I may try to run down a copy of PCC 1.30 just to see if I can use it, and what if any differences may exist between the .28 & .30 versions.

Like I said I'm not terribly worried about the opt files because the radio works great for what I need of it, I just thought it may be fun to play around with the EFJ platform. I do have to say that I've been really impressed with its performance since I got it a few nights ago. I've been using the wideband Motorola antenna on it. It seems to help bring in some of the weaker stuff but I still prefer using my VHF stubby on it.

Again I appreciate everyone's help !!
    DWM

Thanks

HUGE HUGE thank you to NCRadioTech. Sent him the info from my radio and he built a new option file for me with everything I wanted/needed enabled.

Also, thanks again to others that responded and offered up suggestions too !!
    DWM

24ff1313 No Longer Registered

I guess I'm confused (not that it's never happened before)...
    I have some UHF 5100's, they say 'Ver 4.4.4' at turn-on. I understand that their options can be changed by hex editing the options file, but I haven't been able to find a post indicating what the appropriate hex bytes are to edit. Further, neither V 1.28.0.8 nor 2.10.0 PCC have a 'save' button, so how am I supposed to save the options file in the first place? Earlier posts on this thread say you CAN save the options. 2.10.0 PCC appears to read and write params properly so I assume that this is the right version to use with these radios.

All I want to do is enable FPP.
    I must be getting old or something.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 24ff1313 View Post
    I guess I'm confused (not that it's never happened before)...
    I have some UHF 5100's, they say 'Ver 4.4.4' at turn-on. I understand that their options can be changed by hex editing the options file, but I haven't been able to find a post indicating what the appropriate hex bytes are to edit. Further, neither V 1.28.0.8 nor 2.10.0 PCC have a 'save' button, so how am I supposed to save the options file in the first place? Earlier posts on this thread say you CAN save the options. 2.10.0 PCC appears to read and write params properly so I assume that this is the right version to use with these radios.

All I want to do is enable FPP.
    I must be getting old or something.
    Neither 1.28 or 2.10 will give you the option to save the option file/info. This (from my understanding) didn't come into play until later. You can build an option file for it with a seprate program called PC Issue, or if you were able to use a new version of PCC. At one time PCIssue was out in the wild but it's rare to be found. It was a program written specifically for EFJ techs to enable new options in customer radios.

You might be able to get someone to build you one, just tread lightly and don't be pushy about it.
    DWM

24ff1313 No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by FD5722 View Post
    Neither 1.28 or 2.10 will give you the option to save the option file/info. This (from my understanding) didn't come into play until later. You can build an option file for it with a seprate program called PC Issue, or if you were able to use a new version of PCC. At one time PCIssue was out in the wild but it's rare to be found. It was a program written specifically for EFJ techs to enable new options in customer radios.

You might be able to get someone to build you one, just tread lightly and don't be pushy about it.
    The earlier posts about 'PCC later versions' having options save, I took to mean 2.10, that apparently was where my confusion began. I was hoping I'd figure out how to save options without the PCInstall, because looking for it gets cans of worms opened. I'll see if I can get PCC of a version that does save options, and try to figure out the hex code.

I thank you for clearing up the fog.