Thread: NX-200 Firmware update help

Thanks

Default NX-200 Firmware update help

Hi Board, I have 3 Kenwood NX-200 radios that are in need of firmware updates, 2 are at 1.17 and the third is at 2.9 IIRC. How does Kenwood handle this? I've never messed with updating firmware but have a cable and V3 software. Just looking on information on how to go about getting the updates. Release notes would help too. I notice a distinct audio difference with the earlier versions and the 1.17 does not support NXDN encryption as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 533 Posts

Kenwood distributes firmware and KPG updates via their secure dealer site. 4.01 is a major advancement in all respects, like Motorola, you will need a KPG update to go to the latest firmware. You should install the latest KPG111DN FIRST before attempting to flash new firmware. Release notes are usually in the firmware download.

You use FPROG.EXE which is located in your KPG111DN directory, click on it, and load the firmware file. You have to enable firmware programming in your radio first (by reading it with your current KPG, and enabling firmware programming from the radio wide options menu), then turn the radio on holding the required buttons.

Your radio should display PROG xxxxx (which is the baud rate). Make sure your FPROG is set to the same baud rate. When the firmware is done writing, a checksum will appear in the display of the radio. This should match what is shown on the FPROG screen. Turn the radio off, then on, and you are ready to program with your new KPG. Always save your DAT file before reflashing.

Thanks

OK, Thanks for the info. Can I just call my local dealer and he can give me the firmware on a CD and also purchase the new KPG thru them? What costs am I looking at? I'm not sure if one firmware file will update 3 radios or if I need to have 3 different files. I guess I could have the dealer do the firmware updates but I would still need a new copy of KPG. The closest dealer to me is about an hour away and I'm not even sure if they deal with Kenwood I'll have to check.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 533 Posts

A reputable dealer SHOULD be able to get the firmware for you for next to nothing (it is a free download). One firmware will update as many radios as you have. PM me if you have trouble with getting to your dealer. If you buy a copy of KPG, you still need a Kenwood dealer account to get the firmware, or KPG updates (lame, I agree).