Thread: APX6000 OTAR

gef No Longer Registered

Default APX6000 OTAR

Hi Fellas .. I have a batch of new APX6k of which should be OTAR .. yet when programmed and i go to key them from my kvl via the kmf to the system the KVL does not want to know them.
    When I connect my KVL to the radio to read target RSI it just gives a group RSI and no individual RSI even thou I programmed it into the radio
    BTW this is for a p25 trunking system.
    Is it possible for a feature set to say what it is yet not be in the radio. Ie
    Q498 OTAR
    Also for a APX6000 and APX6500 should the OTAR feature set be same that is
    Q498 FOR APX6000 AND Q298 FOR APX6500

gef No Longer Registered

I will attempt to answer my own question here...
    on the box of the 6000's it says astro p25 otar as a feature set ... my bad.
    I did already have a codeplug for a APX6000 that did have OTAR .. and i just programed this into the radio that did not have the feature set of OTAR.
    This in turn opened up the field to edit the OTAR id .. so to me it looked ok for my kvl and kmf.
    I should have read the feature set of the radio .. NO OTAR.

This would not have happened in the XTS/XTL program...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,931 Times in 1,469 Posts

I'm jealous of your OTAR/KMF setup. Very nice! I wish I could help but have zero experience in that area.

I have forwarded this thread to someone who has been doing very similar things on a ASTRO25 Phase II system, with APX kit. Hope they can help you ASAP.

gef No Longer Registered

I think I know how this prob was created ..
    I had opened a APX6000 radio profile with OTAR features and programed this profile into a radio with out this feature set.
    This allows you to edit the OTAR field yet it will not work in the radio without that feature set.
    I dont think this would happen in the XTS program.
    After read the radio after the radio has been programed with the new profile with OTAR feature set .. it will say that it has OTAR enabled yet it HAS NOT.
    I think the APX R8.0.0 program needs to be upgraded to fix this problem.

The XTS / XTL program will just not let u program and tell you that it has wrong feature set.
    Thanks anyways

Thanks
    Thanked 4,931 Times in 1,469 Posts

Do both radios have the same flashcodes?

If not, then yes -- you have found a bug in the CPS. Moto should be notified. They usually read the forum during the day; hopefully one of the Motorolans sees this thread of yours and passes it up the food chain.

gef No Longer Registered

Hmmmm we get different batch orders for motorola radios from our dealer at different times.
    He usually knows what we require. But now and then the odd radio batch get sent with a
    different flashcode.
    I have APX profile written for a a set flashcode..
    SO am guessing that when I squirt this profile into a radio that has a different feature
    set then that feature set in the radio gets over written.
    When you then read the radio this "new" feature set is seen even thou it is not true.
    You see the radio when new out of the box had OTAR not enabled. When you write to the radio with another feature set that had OTAR enabled then the radio is seen to have OTAR enabled when you read it. THe radio will still not work OTAR on the system.
    In the APX program " SHOW FEATURE SET"
    I see
    Purchased RC406R-011680-8
    Used 9C0009-011480-5
    what is this telling me is the " PURCHASED" telling me what is in the radio new as We bought it ? And the "USED" what I squirt into it ?????

Thanks

Wirelessly posted

If the flashcodes do not match you should not be able to clone them, unless cps 8 changed that.

gef No Longer Registered

SO just to confirm clarify ..
    Purchased RC406R-011680-8
    Used 9C0009-011480-5
    in the codeplug feature set should be same numbers

can you expand on what exactly it is same .. am not the brightest spark in the fire..

Thanks

The purchased flashcode is exactly that, what you purchased. The used one is what you actually have active in the codeplug. IE bluetooth, you purchased it but its not turned on in your codeplug so it does not show up in the used flashcode.

gef No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    The purchased flashcode is exactly that, what you purchased. The used one is what you actually have active in the codeplug. IE bluetooth, you purchased it but its not turned on in your codeplug so it does not show up in the used flashcode.
    If I have purchased Q498 OTAR and it is not ticked / active in the flashcode ... is there any way I can tick that from the CPS ... my motorola manager reckons I can ..

Or is that done from the Radio Manager Device Programmer / Radio Management Server.... which I have but can not install due to not having Windows 7 ... company with no money
    :-)

Thanks

Yes go to secure configuration, secure wide, and check the OTAR enable checkbox.

gef No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Yes go to secure configuration, secure wide, and check the OTAR enable checkbox.
    I only have the basice CPS installed on my PC ... and cannot see the secure config / secure wide

gef No Longer Registered

Its ok ... i found it ... stupid me :-( ..
    are u guys in the states ?

gef No Longer Registered

Ok found my problem .. it being that the radio would not hold its OTAR RSI ..
    I was programing radio with the wrong feature set codeplug which is quite easy to do with this APX CPS... the XTS/XTL CPS would not let you do it. SO I had to redo the codeplug by reading radio > modify > writeback. Gota chat to my MS manager about sending us the correct flashcode ,,,,, Perhaps if motorola are reading this they can do mods to the next CPS

gef No Longer Registered

THis is how the problem is created and rectified.
    I receive NEW radios with flashcode 9Q40408-011680-5.
    Not reading / viewing the flashcode (my mistake) as I assumed (my mistake) they would be same as my previous 6000's .... I write the radios with my current APX6000 Codeplug (different flashcode) from my PC.
    This in turn somewhat makes the OTAR RSI unusable. I know this as when you connect the KVL to the radio to read OTAR RSI it will not give you an Individual RSI.
    To correct this I read the radio with the correct flashcode then drag-drop from existing good APX6000 profile thence write back to the radio. After executing this, radio OTAR RSI is now readable from my KVL and am now able to load from KMF.
    If this was a XTS/XTL codeplug it would not let you write the radio and will also display something like "A wrong feature set" in the radio. It is also displayed in RED from memory and should be the same or similar alarm bells in the APX series..
    The APX still lets you write to the radio even if it is the wrong flashcode. This is wrong IMHO.
    My Thoughts.