5300es Lightning Head Remote to Dash

splinter34

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Does anyone know if there needs to be anything special done to the deck to change head location? I have moved the head from the remote to the deck and I cannot get it to turn on. When I move it back it is fine. I don't see anything in PCConfigure that would indicate it is a software setting. I'm stumped.

S

sloosecannon

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
You may want to make sure the connector is hooked up on both ends, but no, nothing special should be required

OP
splinter34

splinter34

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
That's what I was thinking. Yeah, the connector is good on both ends also. There is also a 6 pin ribbon cable in the head that is hooked up to the remote kit, but that doesn't seem to matter if it is hooked up or not. I think it is just for audio but I'm unsure as I haven't been able to find a service manual for the 5300es or the lighning head anywhere. Strange thing is just works fine in the remote setup.

steinberg

CS Forums $upporter
Have you tried opening up the brick and looking to see if maybe the flex cable for the dash mount came loose or something?

OP
splinter34

splinter34

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Yeah, I opened it up to check. Everything looks good in there. The head just will not turn on. If I hook another head up on a remote then only the remote head will work. One thing I am unsure of is , inside the lightning head there is an additional 6 wire ribbon cable that hooks up inside the remote housing. This is not available on the brick. Right beside the control head connector in the brick is another 6 pin hook up of a different size. Sized like for jumpers or such, but the ribbon cable is much smaller than that. I think the 6 pin ribbon is for audio out and maybe PA but with out any manuals I can't be sure. Kinda would like to know what the other connector is for beside the head connector in the brick also. A remote head is just not going to work for what I wanted this radio for...

jonnyboy2221

So lightning head to remote head mount, then remote mount to the remote head connector on the back of the radio? As far as two hookups I've never had to hookup a second ribbon to any of the lightning heads I own. I have heard of a friend having a lighting head with two hookups but I believe he had a newer Kenwood one that was special. The 12pin connector on the front of the head was also different. If you need more help I will be happy to get my remote kit out of my box and try hooking it up to one of the radios on my bench and do some troubleshooting.

jonnyboy2221

I assume lightning is selected in the controller type under the global tab? I'm not sure if it would matter from remote mount to on the brick or not but was just curious. Also i am assuming this is a version 6 radio?

OP
splinter34

splinter34

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Yes to what you said as far as the hookups go. Both of the lightning heads have a second hookup on them. The radio in question came to me remote mount, and yes it is a ver. 6 (6.18.0.1) 5300es. If I flip the heads around the other one will work on the remote mount. If I put a standard head on the deck it will work, a lightning head on the deck that is dark will pass TX. I got home late tonite but tomorrow night I will post a pic of the remote head hookups. And yes lightning head is selected in PCConfigure not that it should matter. When I got it, lightning was not selected under PCC but it still functioned, just short text spacing like a stanard head would have. These lightning heads are ver 1.4 they do not have the metal mic plugs just a regular 12 pin mic. I'll post pic tomorrow eve. Thanks Jonnyboy for your help.

OP
splinter34

splinter34

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Here is a pic of the connector in question. This is a standard lightning head Ver I. Boots up at 6.18.0. Vhf. Either head works in the remote position. But not dash mount. Although a standard head will work on dash mount. I loaded a new blank code plug with lightning head selected, no joy. There is no second connector available inside the head that the small ribbon would connect to, only in the remote mount.

Attachments

• IMG_20210608_220032.jpg
    IMG_20210608_220032.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10

steinberg

CS Forums $upporter
I'm not familiar with the VHF bricks, but on all the 800mhz and UHF bricks I've seen they don't have 2 sets of ribbon cables. What happens if you only plug in the larger ribbon cable?

jonnyboy2221

None of the V6 EFj radios I have have that second connector in the brick it's only in the remote mount. As for the lightning heads I went through and did each way you stated and as far as I can see there were no issues with getting the radio to power on. I also tried disconnecting the remote head and powering on and the radio booted just fine. I'm wondering if it's something wrong with the flex from the brick to the control head but only for the EFJ. Also per your last message with the blank codeplug I'm assuming you had enhanced head selected.

Attachments

• IMG_20210609_035010522.jpg
    IMG_20210609_035010522.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210609_035014220.jpg
    IMG_20210609_035014220.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210609_035422517.jpg
    IMG_20210609_035422517.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210609_035613988.jpg
    IMG_20210609_035613988.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10

sloosecannon

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Yeah I believe that second ribbon cable is for looping the audio back to the brick or something, I've only seen it connected in remote setups.

That's quite the bizarre issue there...