Thread: Motorola Field Guide - How to spot a COUNTERFEIT radio!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

bang Motorola Field Guide - How to spot a COUNTERFEIT radio!

Attached are several documents from Motorola, which outline procedures to take by their MSSs and other technical staff, which would (historically) aide in spotting "counterfeit" radios.

I have a few issues with these documents. I'll let you guys spot others..

- COUNTERFEIT means they are built with non-Motorola parts, and represented as Motorola product. Where does Motorola think these parts came from? Assembled by outsiders, but the boards were 100% produced by Motorola. Give me a break. Parts-built or "non-factory-assembled" would be much more fitting.

- They show a regular systems saber, instead of an ASTRO Saber.

- They reference "ESNs", stating there's an ESN sticker on each radio. NO, there is NOT. That's a lie. And ASTRO radios NEVER had ESNs.

- Watchbuddy is referenced several times. Must be proud of himself

And guys, the original author's name is in the documents. He's an OK guy, and now retired. He did the best he could with his experience and knowledge, at the time.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

I love the bad fakes I saw recently... serial number tags had so many things wrong it was glaringly obvious...
    * Serial number would indicate 2007 date of manufacture - for an AN model XTS2500 with RAM22 proc?
    * Flash not only didn't match what was in the radio, but it was missing a digit
    * Fonts all wrong
    * No FCC logo

Scary part was it had all of the FM labels. I'm sure this thing wasn't at all FM-OK.

Thanks

Ohh no, I think I might have a fake

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

I'm not too bummed when I see "fake" radios. So long as they're electrically, mechanically and visually sound, I'll align them and correct any whoreflash issues then put them into service. But only if they pass my tests. Moto made the parts, they were just assembled outside of the factory.

Judging from what I've seen coming out of Mexipot Depot, I'm quite certain most of us are more competent and aware of how to correctly assemble, align and initialize a radio.

Rejects at Moto sent me an incorrectly provisioned ASTRO Spectra Plus vocon FOUR TIMES IN A ROW. VHF, with 800 MHz tuning partitions.

No accountability over there, either. Screw me over for 4 months and no apology or refund.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kf4lhp View Post
    I love the bad fakes I saw recently... serial number tags had so many things wrong it was glaringly obvious...
    * Serial number would indicate 2007 date of manufacture - for an AN model XTS2500 with RAM22 proc?
    * Flash not only didn't match what was in the radio, but it was missing a digit
    * Fonts all wrong
    * No FCC logo

Scary part was it had all of the FM labels. I'm sure this thing wasn't at all FM-OK.
    I may be wrong on this one, so please correct me if I am, at the bottom of one of the XTS3000's, the flashport upgrade sticker is showing as option G51. Isn't that a mobile option package??

Thanks

Here is a bunch of fake manufactured tags fron the far east, see pics
    FAKE TAG 1.JPGFAKE TAG 2.jpgFAKE TAG 3.JPGFAKE TAG 4.jpgFAKE TAG 5.jpg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by squeaky View Post
    This one looks similar to the fake tag on the XTS5000 in Radio Crazy's post.
    Yes
    This also is a bad fake as well, see the FCc bleed over ink, also see the FCC ID: and number in bold, model # not bolded, serial bold again, missing pixels in the print on the UPC code, also all over the tag when magnified you see bad bleed over on the name Motorola, this is a bad counterfit.

Thanks

There are other telltale signs as well. In this particular radio, the letters in the serial number do not match the letters on the tags. Two of the letters are transposed, so whomever made the tags or flashed the radio had a typo. And, if you decode the date code for the serial number in the radio, the manufacture date is 4 years before the factory programming date. If you decode the date code on the tags, the manufacture date is after the factory programming date. Also, the flashcode is for an FPP radio, which is rare except for government radios or radios with tags replaced by the depot.

There is simply no way to know the origin of this radio, whether it is a parts radio or an accelerated life radio, or whether the radio is sufficiently reliable to use in public safety. So, now not only do we have to worry about tagless radios, but we also have to worry about radios with counterfeit tags. Is nothing sacred anymore?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Attached are several documents from Motorola, which outline procedures to take by their MSSs and other technical staff, which would (historically) aide in spotting "counterfeit" radios.

I have a few issues with these documents. I'll let you guys spot others..

- COUNTERFEIT means they are built with non-Motorola parts, and represented as Motorola product. Where does Motorola think these parts came from? Assembled by outsiders, but the boards were 100% produced by Motorola. Give me a break. Parts-built or "non-factory-assembled" would be much more fitting.

I have often wondered about the plethora of Waris radios that are on Ebay being sold in Hong Kong & China that state they are 95% new

I have never been quite sure what that last 5% of USED parts was going to be :-)

Taking that into account (used 5%) I have never been game to take the final step and actually purchase one to see exactly what these things are like.

Are they parts built radios, are they legit radio or are they cheap knock off's ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrtor View Post
    I have often wondered about the plethora of Waris radios that are on Ebay being sold in Hong Kong & China that state they are 95% new

I have never been quite sure what that last 5% of USED parts was going to be :-)

Taking that into account (used 5%) I have never been game to take the final step and actually purchase one to see exactly what these things are like.

Are they parts built radios, are they legit radio or are they cheap knock off's ?
    In my book, a radio is counterfeit if fake tags are attached to the radio. In that case, the radio is being misrepresented as a legitimate radio.

Tags are only attached to a radio at the factory when it is ready for shipment to a customer, or attached at the depot during service and the tags need to be updated or replaced. If the radios do not have tags, then it's simply a matter of "buyer beware".

I have no problem with a "parts built" radio or an upgraded model if you make that clear to the buyer. Even then, however, you do not know the source or condition of the parts that go into the radio, and do not know if the serial number is legitimate. Many of the serial numbers showing up are fake as well. I do have a problem with people lying about what they are selling, whether directly or by omission.

Thanks

Look at the tags on this radio. Totally FAKE. Currently listed on ****Bay! http://www.ebay.com/itm/140806748010...84.m1438.l2649

Also, Look at the Motorola nameplate on the front of the radio. It only says Motorola and not XTS2500.

$T2eC16N,!y0E9s2S5uC+BQDG7P2fO!~~60_57.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

SoCalHAM No Longer Registered

thanks for this!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 570 Posts

mtor - FYI "95% new" or "90% new" is a Chinglish colloquial way of saying "like new" or "lightly used", it doesn't mean there is 5% used parts and the rest is new

I ran into this when buying a new keyboard for my Asus laptop last week. One company said the US keyboards are sold out but they had a 90% new US one or a brand new Chinese one. Heheh... I called the US Mfg's depot and they had a new US keyboard in stock. I ordered that, and it lookkkkkkkks new but the K key is popping off! Damn!!! I think it was some percent used!! :P

Thanks

Probably what we would call a "factory second" or something that didn't pass quality inspection, the worst thing is there are roughly 100 keys on a keyboard so if it's "95% new" you can expect 4 more keys to "pop off" yet!
    Andrew

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Looks like the "Do Not Block Vents" tag is covering the vents.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.