Thread: APX7000 Band Splits

Thanks

Default APX7000 Band Splits

This might be a silly question, but do the different band split APX7000 portables have different hardware or can the bands be changed simply by re-flashing the radio?

For example, can a UHF2/700-800 radio be re-flashed to a VHF/UHF1 with just an antenna change or are the boards band specific?

I guess the same question could be asked of the single band variants as well?
    Last edited by Bigfella237; Jun 02, 2012 at 08:24 AM. Reason: added question
    Andrew

Thanks

There are different RF boards for each band combination. When you order an APX you pick a primary and secondary band, then they secondary is only enabled if you add the option to enable it. But they are totally different boards for each combination.

Ken.Adams No Longer Registered

These are the five RF boards currently available:

MNUR4001_ - Assembly, RF Board - ASTRO APX 7000 700–800 MHz and VHF
    MNUS4000_ - Assembly, RF Board - ASTRO APX 7000 700–800 MHz and UHF1
    MNUS4002_ - Assembly, RF Board - ASTRO APX 7000 700–800 MHz and UHF2
    MNUT4000_ - Assembly, RF Board - ASTRO APX 7000 UHF1 and VHF
    MNUT4004_ - Assembly, RF Board - ASTRO APX 7000 UHF2 and VHF

There are no single-band RF boards for the APX7000. When you order an APX7000 you're going to get a dual-band RF board even if you want a single-band radio - the secondary band just won't be enabled in the flashcode. Enabling the secondary band of the RF board that is already in a single-band radio is the only change you can make without swapping hardware.

Thanks

Ah thanks for the info, I knew the ASTRO25 radios had different boards for each split but I thought they may have come up with a way to have all the necessary hardware already on-board in the APX series, but I guess if that were the case then we would probably see triple & quad band radios (or at least hacked versions thereof)?

I wonder why they haven't released a UHF1 and UHF2 board? It might be a strange combination but there are some agencies here in Australia who would benefit from having both bands (Surf Life Saving comes to mind as they have a PMR network in the low 500MHz range and will soon require access to the statewide Govt. owned TRN in the low 400MHz range).

I was referring to the lower tier APX portables when I mentioned single band radios, sorry for the confusion?

While I'm here I may as well ask, I've never had anything to do with the APX7500 mobiles but was wondering, are they dual-band as well or still only one?
    Andrew

rad2085 No Longer Registered

Hi Andrew

Yes the Mobile APX7500 is a multi-band radio, more info is available on Motorola website.
    http://www.motorola.com/web/Business...Spec_sheet.pdf

Maybe a typo should be GRN in the 400MHz range.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rad2085 View Post
    Maybe a typo should be GRN in the 400MHz range.
    Thanks again for the info, sorry to ask such a noob question, I probably should have researched the answer myself but getting lazy in my old age!

That wasn't a typo but you are also correct, the system is known locally as the NSWGRN (New South Wales Government Radio Network) but I used TRN (Trunked Radio Network) as a generic term for those non-Aussies here.
    Andrew