Thread: APX7000 Bug Report - Secure Voice Calls

Thanks
    Thanked 4,931 Times in 1,469 Posts

Default APX7000 Bug Report - Secure Voice Calls

Hopefully Motorola reads this and fixes it.

Problem: Radio is unable to initiate a secure voice call on Motorola SmartZone 3600bps network. "Illegal Key" is flashed on the screen.

Model / System Affected:
    APX7000 (possibly other APX family-radios), while operating on APCO-16 (3600bps) SmartZone Omnilink (unsure if problem is limited to SmartZone/Omnilink configurations).

Symptom: A user is unable to initiate a secure voice call when the following conditions are met:

1. When radio is first powered-on, and on a secure digital talkgroup, and scan is enabled;
    2. Secure digital talkgroup mode is "strapped" secure. (Unknown if a non-strapped configuration has same problem);
    3. User has not yet transmitted any secure digital voice calls;
    4. Scanlist has mixed-mode members, including analog talkgroups;
    5. Scan stops on active analog talkgroup;
    6. Subsequent attempt to make a secure digital voice call will result in "Illegal Key" error and inability to transmit secure voice call.

Changing modes or toggling secure/clear does not resolve the problem. A power-cycle is required for resolution.

Note: If a secure digital voice call is made prior to the scan-list stopping on active analog talkgroup activity, the problem will not present.

Moto: I have observed this problem since firmware R05.xx.xx. I can't confirm anything older, as I did not have the APX prior.

If anyone can replicate this problem or isolate it to a more specific cause, that would be great. It doesn't seem to be entirely consistent, but it does happen ALL THE TIME. This seems to be the cause as far as I can tell.

IL02 No Longer Registered

Go ahead and open a case with SSC. You will need the system ID (possibly the site ID) and details about your subscriber (what firmware version, flashcode, etc). The case should be forwarded to the product group. They may ask you to forward a copy of your codeplug to see if they can duplicate the problem under test.

Thanks

Thanks

I just tried to replicate this on our SmartZone system and I saw no issue. But there again we have a SmartZone system and not an Omni-link system.

Thanks

I will see if I can get some further testing done, to isolate it further. It definitely exists with great frequency.