Thread: XTS1500 and XTS2500 Encryption option

Thanks

Default XTS1500 and XTS2500 Encryption option

I am trying to get AES/ADP in a model 1.5 radio and just want to confirm that the XTS1500 cannot use a ucm and the XTS2500 model 1.5 can do AES/ADP with a ucm.

Thanks in advance

Neo No Longer Registered

The XTS1500 and XTS2500 take a UCM, but they are limited to one hardware algo. The UCM for these radios is part of the keyboard. It's not going to work out good with these radios if you need multiple algos. For AES, your going to have to turn on the UCM. When you want ADP, your going to have to turn off the UCM (with CPS). Both can not be enabled at the same time so you'd have to use CPS to turn the hardware UCM on and off depending on algo needed. Models 1.5 radios don't actually have a keyboard, but the UCM goes where the keypad would normanally be.

UCM for an XTS/XTL5000 are totally different than for an XTS1500/2500.

Thanks

This is one of the reasons many dont use the better encryption formats on the XTS series. Fortunatly it is fixed in the APX series.

mtp850 No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    The XTS1500 and XTS2500 take a UCM, but they are limited to one hardware algo. The UCM for these radios is part of the keyboard. It's not going to work out good with these radios if you need multiple algos. For AES, your going to have to turn on the UCM. When you want ADP, your going to have to turn off the UCM (with CPS). Both can not be enabled at the same time so you'd have to use CPS to turn the hardware UCM on and off depending on algo needed. Models 1.5 radios don't actually have a keyboard, but the UCM goes where the keypad would normanally be.

UCM for an XTS/XTL5000 are totally different than for an XTS1500/2500.
    i was sure you can get XTS2500 Hardware ADP in the same UCM as DES-XL / DES-OFB / AES-256 (happy to be corrected)

My XTS2500 M3 uses a Tri module with DES-XL / DES-OFB / AES-256. When the order was put through they offered the option of adding ADP to it for a couple hundred extra. We don't use ADP so declined. I suppose the sales guy could have made a mistake. bloddy expensive boards to say the least!

Neo No Longer Registered

According to Moto spec sheet for the xts2500, it shows 1 algo for hardware encryption.

Here is their PDF
    http://www.motorola.com/web/Business...=1&localeId=33

Moto has been wrong in the past, so have I.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,928 Times in 1,468 Posts

I've seen DES-OFB/DES-XL/ADP in the 2500 UCM, but never DES and AES. I even tried building custom 2500 UCMs with more than one algo (besides ADP) and the radio wouldn't operate properly with more than one algo. Kept rebooting itself upon transmit. I gave up on the 2500 because it's such a piece of **** in so many ways...

- One big board for vocon/RF deck; can't replace sections;
    - The flex cables are a joke for reliability;
    - The UCM/keypad is a VERY POOR DESIGN as it flexes when the keypad is pressed. BGA components will eventually get cold solder joints. (Thus why Moto is using chip underfill on the FBGAs.)
    - There's no shielding on the front side of the UCM/keypad board. It's prone to unstable operation if exposed to high RF fields;
    - Battery capacity is limited to 2700mah Lithium Ion or NiMH. Nothing larger;
    - AN (4M) radios are almost useless for modern applications/current firmware;
    - UCMs are in very short supply in the aftermarket;

I consider the 2500 a low-tier radio. Like the Visar of the ASTRO world.

For the extra $150-200 a 5000 goes for, get the 5000.

For those who are happy with the 2500, that's all that matters. My opinion is just that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 579 Posts

I have an XTS2500 that has a tri-mode UCM in it, but as Mars said, it's the DES-XL/DES-OFB/ADP variety. I have heard of AES-256 boards combined with ADP also, but never have I heard of or seen one that has DES-XL/DES-OFB/AES-256 in it. Just my $0.02...

Thanks

Neo No Longer Registered

Maybe its time for Moto to update their sales flyers to correct the info on number of algos for the XTS2500. This is actually good news to know that AES and DES can reside in the same UCM and work properly.

Thanks for the video proof.

XPR8300 No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Radio Crazy View Post

Technically its one algo.. much like DES, DES-XL and DES-OFB are still DES.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XPR8300 View Post
    Technically its one algo.. much like DES, DES-XL and DES-OFB are still DES.
    Yes you are corect, they do have the same genes, the same mom but a different dad, lol