Thread: APX7000 VOCON MNCN6200 canceled.

MrMixx No Longer Registered

Default APX7000 VOCON MNCN6200 canceled.

Hi All,

What's the new part number? Why was it changed?

MrMixx

Thanks

The new part #'s are MNCN6202 for Model 3.5's and MNCN6203 for Model 1.5's these are the vocon's in the APX7000XE and newer APX7000's the 6202 requires a different front keypad and display than the 6200 vocon's do. At one point there was a delay and back-order of a lot of APX's due to parts availability, I believe this is why the new vocons were released as there are some different components inside like the AUX lighting controller.

MrMixx No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    The new part #'s are MNCN6202 for Model 3.5's and MNCN6203 for Model 1.5's these are the vocon's in the APX7000XE and newer APX7000's the 6202 requires a different front keypad and display than the 6200 vocon's do. At one point there was a delay and back-order of a lot of APX's due to parts availability, I believe this is why the new vocons were released as there are some different components inside like the AUX lighting controller.
    So now there are 2 types of APX7000s out there? Does this change any of the other boards in the radio? I'm guessing that the 7500 is in the same boat?

Now I'm reading that MNCN6202B and C are both canceled as well.

MrMixx
    Last edited by MrMixx; Jun 12, 2012 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks

Yes there are two different types of vocon, I'm not sure any of this applies to the 7500 and all other boards in the 7k are the same, just the vocon, display and keypad assembly changed.

I would imagine there is a newer revision of that part # vocon it just may not show up yet. Call parts ID 1-800-422-4210 and see if they can give you the correct #.

Thanks

Has anyone had any success sourcing part numbers for the display and keypad assembly related to this change?

I need to replace an LCD display on an APX with the newer 6202 vocon. Parts ID insists there is only a single part number for the display (01009342001) and it "should" work with both vocons. Have they magically built a display with both types of flex connectors? Likely not.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    SD.

Thanks

New LCD and keypad assembly: NHN7017A FRONT CHASSIS SUB-ASSY, MODEL III

Thanks

Thanks RC.

It looks like the NHN7017A is already replaced with the NHN7017B which is significantly more expensive than NHN7017A.

Are we not able to replace individual components any more? The latest service manual indicates that the display compatible with the 6202 Vocon is the 01009304019. This part number is not known by Moto, and parts ID have never heard of it. They keep referring to 01009342001. But who knows if this module will work.

Cheers,
    SD

Thanks

NHN7017A is not cancelled as of 2 minutes ago and still orderable. Will be available 7/17/12

Thanks

Thanks RC, I will try and acquire an NHN7017A. Wonder what the difference is with the "B" version.

Cheers,
    SD

Thanks

No go on ordering the NHN7017A. Moto will only allow ordering of NHN7017B.

Back to trying to find the display module part number.

Cheers,
    SD

Thanks

NHN7017A, we will see in a few days, supposed to be available 7-17-12.
    Last edited by Radio Crazy; Jul 12, 2012 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Radio Crazy View Post
    NHN7017A, we will see in a few days, supposed to be available 7-17-12.
    NHN7017A (larger flex plug) is still orderable@ half the price as NHN7003A (smaller flex plug) that you had to order the keypad chassis and LCD seperatly.

Thanks

FYI,

NHN7017A arrived today. Much to my disappointment it does NOT include the LCD.

It included everything except the LCD.

The box and part is clearly labeled NHN7017A.

Crap. Back to the drawing board.

SD.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
    FYI,

NHN7017A arrived today. Much to my disappointment it does NOT include the LCD.

It included everything except the LCD.

The box and part is clearly labeled NHN7017A.

Crap. Back to the drawing board.

SD.
    SD I swear, refer to the pics I posted in this thread, the LCD is clearly visable, that mine came with it included???? Don't ask me why? I just must have gotten lucky.
    Last edited by Radio Crazy; Aug 02, 2012 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks

Oh I don't think it is your mistake. It's clearly Motorolas. I spent another hour on the phone with parts ID, and I'm still no further ahead. They are very confused, and keep sending me part numbers that relate to the 6200 vocoder.

If I ever get a correct answer on the new display part number, I will post it here.

Cheers,
    SD

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

Hey guys

Thought I would brag a bit here...

I just finished installing the primary lighting controller on a MNCN6203B (APX 1.5 vocon) so the display /keypad lights would work on a model 3. There are some other components to install as well, but the controller was a real challenge.

The chip is a BGA variant (definitely tighter than a VFGBA) in a 6x6 (36 balls) package.

apx-vocon2.jpg

36balls.jpg

If they can pack a lighting controller into a chip this small, imagine what else is out there in terms of bugging equipment and other No Such Agency accessories!

Thanks

Wow.

Just wow.

Thanks

Holy crap!! Mars, that's amazing!!!

I really need to get working on my skills. I have a chip master station at my disposal, and I have never tried anything as gutsy as BGA.

Cheers,
    SD.

Thanks

Best part is, ask him what he used...
    not a chipmaster, LOL, you are the man Mars!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattSR View Post
    Wow.

Just wow.

And WOW again, how can you work something so small, I did not even think thats pysicly possible to do this manually, only preprogrammed computer dippped soldering stations can do this kind of work, what did you use? How is this possible, you must have like xray vision? 3 cheers and wow again!!!
    Last edited by Radio Crazy; Aug 08, 2012 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks

Removing the RF shield (as seen along the outlines in the work-area) was challenging enough. Enough heat must be generated to make the seam molten, without melting the plastic jacks on the board. (I use tin-foil to insulate against heat radiation/damage)

Once the shield is removed (very carefully! If I bump it, the components under it can get moved!), I let the board cool down.

A tiny dab of flux gets put onto the 6x6 area of the board where the chip will go.

I then use a 40x magnification jeweler's loop to position the chip absolutely perfectly, then use a tiny amount of paper towel to remove excess flux (while looking through jeweler loop) as too much flux will 'boil" when the heat is reapplied, causing bubbles which knock the chip off-center.

When I'm sure everything is ready, I heat up the area with a very hot (about 1100 F) but minimal-flow, hot-air gun, at a perfect angle which would not cause the component to move in either direction. The weight of this particular chip is also almost nil; other FBGA/VFBGA chips I've worked with are much easier to put in place.

After about a minute, the BGA solder balls become molten, and the chip "sucks itself" into perfect alignment.

I work on BGA/FBGA/VFBGA all the time. It's not a big deal. But I have to say, this is the tightest pitch/smallest package, I've ever manually worked on. The pictures are deceiving: It looks like a big board. I shot those pics with a super-macro lens. One could fit about 20 of those chips (if lined up edge-to-edge) on the face of that penny. American and Canadian pennies are the same physical size.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Removing the RF shield (as seen along the outlines in the work-area) was challenging enough. Enough heat must be generated to make the seam molten, without melting the plastic jacks on the board. (I use tin-foil to insulate against heat radiation/damage)

Once the shield is removed (very carefully! If I bump it, the components under it can get moved!), I let the board cool down.

A tiny dab of flux gets put onto the 6x6 area of the board where the chip will go.

I then use a 40x magnification jeweler's loop to position the chip absolutely perfectly, then use a tiny amount of paper towel to remove excess flux (while looking through jeweler loop) as too much flux will 'boil" when the heat is reapplied, causing bubbles which knock the chip off-center.

When I'm sure everything is ready, I heat up the area with a very hot (about 1100 F) but minimal-flow, hot-air gun, at a perfect angle which would not cause the component to move in either direction. The weight of this particular chip is also almost nil; other FBGA/VFBGA chips I've worked with are much easier to put in place.

After about a minute, the BGA solder balls become molten, and the chip "sucks itself" into perfect alignment.

I work on BGA/FBGA/VFBGA all the time. It's not a big deal. But I have to say, this is the tightest pitch/smallest package, I've ever manually worked on. The pictures are deceiving: It looks like a big board. I shot those pics with a super-macro lens. One could fit about 20 of those chips (if lined up edge-to-edge) on the face of that penny. American and Canadian pennies are the same physical size.
    All I can say again is just amaaaaaazing, jaw dropping amazing, never seen or thought anyone can do this manually, wow!!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Radio Crazy View Post
    All I can say again is just amaaaaaazing, jaw dropping amazing, never seen or thought anyone can do this manually, wow!!!!!
    You'd be amazed at other projects and their successes, and what they've contributed and changed in this game.

Thanks

Just an update on the replacement APX-7000 display issue. I am still hunting for a replacement color display that will work with the new 6202 vocon.

The other day I found a new part number in MOL that *might* be it:
    Part # 01009558001 ASSY COLOR DISPLAY APX 7000

I have ordered one. It's backordered for a month. Once I get it, will report if it works with the new vocon. Hopefully it will.

Cheers,
    SD.

radiohead1800 No Longer Registered

Hey SD,

I know it has not quite been a month but any updates? Did it come in early?

I spoke to Parts ID today who confirmed (via "internal notes") that 0100955800 is the direct replacement for 01009304019 for use with VOCON MNCN6202. For other who might be searching 01009342001 is the direct replacement for 01009304003 for use with VOCON MNCN6200.

I also confirmed that NHN7017D (D is the latest as of today) includes a screen lens but no screen. Radio Crazy you must have got lucky

-RH