Thread: Sentinel 2500 (Covert XTS2500)

mtp850 No Longer Registered

Default Sentinel 2500 (Covert XTS2500)

Gents, Hold on to your hats and check this baby out! launched in July 2008 Has anyone seen one of these?

NOTE: These guys have used the xts2500 internals for their own setup. the interesting part is there is an interface board that allows controlling the radio via RS485 for wireless channel change, volume, duress etc

Brochure
    http://www.stealth-tele.com/downloads/2500_brochure.pdf

User manual
    http://www.stealth-tele.com/download...nual_rev_1.pdf

Layout
    http://www.stealth-tele.com/downloads/Sentinel_2500_eng_g.pdf

Last edited by mtp850; Jun 16, 2012 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks

That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen in the radio world that I do not get the point of..LOL.. Don't get me wrong, I'd take one for sure, but for what I'm not sure. Although it would be cool to have a radio that looks like my new Dodge Key..:-)

PRC148 No Longer Registered

Interesting how they basically show the prototype stages of development. It's also interesting it's using an ATMEGA chip (Arduino) same as my Micom project. I would love to get a copy of that code!

Thanks

It most likely is an ATMEGA chip with its own programming, vs using an Arduino which is limited as to what you can code into it.. But ya never know..:-)

PRC148 No Longer Registered

I didn't think it mattered. As long as you pushed working code into it you were good to go.

Thanks

I wonder if it uses the ASTRO25 CPS and it reads as a XTS or wether it uses some different software.

mtp850 No Longer Registered

From the diagram where it connects to the keyloader, its normal cps as the interface board is not programmable ad hoc. Ive sent them an email, no reply as yet

Thanks

it would be cool to get one just to play with.

high_order1 No Longer Registered

Some people I worked with used earlier versions of that, they sucked. Got really hot, and if you wore it on you, you needed the 'corset'.

have ever seen in the radio world that I do not get the point of..LOL.. Don't get me wrong, I'd take one
    Some agencies with more money than sense had marty kaiser t whip the originals up. Imagine a MX-style body with nothing on it. prior to that, people would use medical tape and tape down all of the switches and knobs so they wouldnt change or accidentally key when the radio was hidden under clothing or in a bag or something.

Very neat concept to be sure, but you'll only see them on dedicated teams with lots of money.

Thanks

Very interesting indeed. Didn't Motorola make covert body radios though in the past?

Ken.Adams No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by foxtrotdelta View Post
    Very interesting indeed. Didn't Motorola make covert body radios though in the past?
    Yes - Motorola used to make the DCR3000 "Jackal" based on the XTS3000. I've never heard of Moto making an Astro25 equivalent based on the XTS5000.

I wonder if the Jackal used normal XTS3000 firmware... and if so, whether you could flash it for 9600 baud trunking.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 570 Posts

I would guess that they have a re-flashed version of the TCR1000, which is TETRA, that does P25. This looks tiny, and not based on shoehorning a talkie board into a smaller box like the earlier units such as the DCR3000, it looks like it's a unique product line.

Here is some info on the TCR1000: http://www.p25.ca/threads/658-TCR100...y-Radio-System

Ken.Adams No Longer Registered

I'm clueless about TETRA hardware, but would such a thing be possible with just a firmware change? Wouldn't the digital vocoder hardware in a TETRA radio be entirely different from a P25 radio?

Thanks

Wirelessly posted (Droid 2 Global)

All astro radios do there vocoding in dsp chips, so changing vocoders is as easy as changing firmware.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 570 Posts

TETRA is a TDMA-type digital modulation scheme, so the hardware to modulate it is essentially the same as what's required to do the newer TRBO stuff, and the APX and MotoTRBO modulation circuitry can do both FDMA (P25) and the newer TDMA (TRBO, APCO P25 Phase II).

That said, what Magnus said +1 - it's all digital, baby... As long as the hardware supports it, changing protocols is as easy as a reflash.