Thread: xts2500 III display problem

radiogeek97 No Longer Registered

Default xts2500 III display problem

Hi everyone
    I have a "panter 88" xts2500i uhf r2 that has a intermittent display issue where the display comes on with the radio as normal, then all of a suddon the display goes from perfect to all pixilated and dim, then it will cut out all in a matter of several seconds. The backlight still works and the unit will TX/RX fine in analog and p25. When the display decides to come on if the radio is left alone to recieve on my desk, what seems to precipitate a failure is if i press any of the buttons on the upper left hand side of the display home ect. It seems that if i press the ptt or the side buttons i cant produce a failure (yet) but if i press say the home button more times than not the display quickly gets dim and pixilated. Not sure what this may indicate figured i would throw it out there. A friend of mine suggested that it could be a display flex or a bad zif socket. Prior to the failure the radio had worked flawlessly for almost 6 months every day for atleast 8-10- hrs a day.

thanks for any suggestions / help

Thanks

I have the same sort of radio from the same seller that has its display "roll" vertically when the radio is transmitting. It is fine all other times. I'm thinking it may be a shielding issue in my case.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 587 Posts

This also may have to do with a parts-built radio or one with the wrong replacement display module. Maybe someone can chime in that knows more about this than me, but the flex has a number stamped on it that relates to the band the display has filtering/shielding for. Using the wrong display in a given radio makes it go nuts when transmitting, sometimes it comes back, sometimes it stays jumbled. The numbers are like "C04" or somesuch - I can't remember exactly as I said, maybe someone who knows for certain can list them and their respective bands.

As to the OP it sounds like the display driver IC might be dying as it warms up, you might want to see if it reacts differently when hot or cold. It could be connector related but if you take the radio apart and re-seat the connectors that's probably about all you can do. If it still dies, you probably will need to replace the display module as they're pretty much un-repairable.

thanks folks
    i orderd the case tool from MOL did not want to go the screwdriver route My radio had worked great for many many months of police use ( i know about using a frankenradio for real world use ) so i am leaning more to a failure than a wrong display /shielding issue. However I Never knew that displays were different per band ( i learned someting)

thanks all will update once tool arrives

Thanks

In many cases the display issue is bad seating of the display flex. The physical layout is a bit of a nuisance to get straight when assembling.

GS4 is offline Inactive CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

The display should be a C04. The issue could be any listed causes, try the easiest fix first by re-seating both ends of the flex cable, there is a white line that will give you a good visual indicator when you re-insert them. Be very careful when releasing the locks on the ZIF connectors, they break easy and replacing the connector is not an easy do-it-your self job. The ZIF connector go to the next problem, some of the Panter88 units had issues with that connector and they would get broken solder joints.

GS

thanks gs
    How easy or difficult is it to diagnose the bad/broken solder joints on the zif connector? Does it requior more dissassembly than the front cover removal? I have the necessary tools just not the experience with these zif conector problems. thanks

Thanks

Ive had that happen. Was fixed by reseating the flex

Thanks

The zif connectors can be repaired with a hot air gun and a fine nozzle. You may want to use something as a heat sheild to protect the plastic componants of the connector. I fine solder needle can do the work too if you have a steady hand. I recommend apply a bit of flux across the solder joints and then resolder them.
    Last edited by Notarola; Jun 21, 2012 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks

You should be able to power up the radio out of the case to see if the connector needs resoldering, connect the front case flex and put on a battery and try turning the radio on. If pressing on the connector with your finger restores operation, then resoldering is indicated. If that doesn't help then the display might just be bad. Substitution is the best troubleshooting technique; if you can swap a display from another radio that will help isolate the problem.

Alpha that is a good tip! Once my case tool gets here I'll give it a try, I have a hot air rework station I just have to check what I have for nozzles. Has anybody run across either a printed how to or any videos on how to dissassemble an xts2500? I see plenty on the xts 3000/5000 but NOthing on an Xts2500

thanks again all
    john

Thanks

The Basic Service Manual should have that information. Check out our manuals section:

http://www.p25.ca/threads/232-XTS150...Service-Manual

thanks for the noob help! i should have thought of that << newborn @ home messing with me LOL

Thanks

I have found that most radios can be dissassembled with a hammer.

Seriously get the tool part number 66-85666D01.

yeah I bitched up my xts3000 case with my snap-on case removal tool first thing I did was order the tool wont be here till the 25th tho

Thanks
    Thanked 5,851 Times in 1,720 Posts

Hey radiogeek97: Nothing wrong with using the bastard 2500 at work, just don't rely it on it for mission-critical communications. I would hate to learn of any devastating incident, caused in part by your POS 2500 failing you at a critical time.

I know of quite a few officers using eBay Motos (not all of them are parts-built or ALT radios) as auxiliary radios, to monitor other agencies or secondary dispatch talkgroups (radio traffic is too busy to scan with one radio) while at work. If you've been using that eBay 2500 as your primary radio due to issues with your issued radio, you need to set a fire under the ass of the PD radio shop employees. Your radio is your lifeline to the communications center; don't let them slack off.

Cheers

We are soo far behind the curve i can not even begin to tell you,

Thanks

It is truly sad that many emergency service people have to purchase their own equipment to overcome the shortcommings of issued radios. As mars says "Your radio is your lifleline dont let them slack off" or cut corners.

Gentlemen
    the new display arrived as well as the Moto tool for the case. I replaced the display and NO good same issue. The display that came out of the radio has c01 marked on the part, the new display had C04 marked on it?? i also noticed that in the corner of the display board (opposite the connector) there is normally a 1/2 in x 3/8in ish piece of braided rectangular shielding/connector that on other radio attached from the display board to the back of the keyboard pcb board retainer this was missing, not sure if it was omitted/forgotten by panter88 or what.
    Non the less I was mad and frustrated so what I did was find a donor xtsmod3 and swapped the whole front cover and the radio seemed to work great for the 10 min I had it testing. What else could it be The only thing left seems to be the flex connectors and the keyboard pcb itself. I suppone I could have dissaembeld the donor radio further but it was not mine and I did not want to buy parts for 2 radios What do you folks think of my diagnostics? Also that metal piece of shielding/connector is it critical? i assume its there for a good reason
    thanks as always for the imput
    john

Thanks

The shield isnt critical. Im betting on a bad flex. These tend to get cracked right at the end of the nylon covering where the comnnector pins are exposed. try switching that out it should fix the problem.