Thread: Studying for Ham test VHF mcs2000 ?

radiogeek97 No Longer Registered

Default Studying for Ham test VHF mcs2000 ?

folks
    I am studying for my basic ham EXAM, i HAVE A 110W MODii MCS2000 that is of no use to me monitoring commercial /ps freqs in my area since most of the local fd/pd stuff has gone uhf. My question is that for a basic HAM radio should I keep the MCS or dump it on ebay and get a dedicated ham rig IE kenwood yaesu ect

Thanks

I think you could go either way, but here are a couple of things to consider. Whereas it would be nice for you to have a frequency agile radio to play with, you aren't going to find Amateur gear that will be as well-built as your MCS2000. It will beat any of the ham gear in receiver performance and of course having the high power will be convenient too. There is a lot of ham activity that you can play with on VHF, so if it were me I'd use your MCS and save my pennies for other radios - a UHF portable, maybe. Good luck on your exam - I'm sure you'll nail it!

Thanks
    I looked on flea-bay and these mcs2000's are being given away practically. I guess my perspective is frozen in time a bit as far as what these are worth, youre right mobios i will prob keep the rig.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

I went Moto about 10 years ago, and never looked back. You'll find so long as you program in all of the active repeaters in your area (and simplex frequencies), you shouldn't have any issues or miss the "VFO". I always found the VFO feature of ham rigs kind of useless for FM VHF/UHF operation. HF is obviously a different story.

The MCS2000 is a fine radio. What firmware version are you at? If you enable Microphone AGC you'll notice your TX audio will sound very nice. Some say it makes their audio too low; I always found it "normalized" the amplitude. Just make sure the radio is aligned properly (for TX deviation) and the Microphone AGC shouldn't be an issue.

Mmmmmm...110W!

Not sure of the firmware on it, I am sure it is very old as I have had the radio since they first came out like 10 yrs ago.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

That pig came out around 1993 :P

To check for firmware, hit the home button five times, within the first 10 seconds of first powering it on. It will BEEP, then go into service mode, scrolling through the various informational screens.

Older firmware has quite a few issues. I don't have all the notes handy, but current draw, PL issues, and I think there was some kind of narrowband update. If you don't have the tools to update your firmware, I'm happy to help. But if you're happy with the current operation, that's all that matters.

Thanks

On my MCS, I've got every 2m ham split and a bunch of simplex channels and use the MPL feature for all the PL tones in use in my area. If you have a Model 2 radio, that's /almost/ the same as a VFO knob. These display "147-300+" (it is a Model 1). In another zone, I have all the repeaters in my area programmed with the appropriate PL, displaying the callsign. All in all, I'm under 200 modes.

Yeah I have a model 2 110w