Thread: Issue with newer date code XTS3/5K batteries [ IMPRES ]

Thanks

Default Issue with newer date code XTS3/5K batteries [ IMPRES ]

Hey all,

I swear I remember seeing something, somewhere, in a thread about a few people experiencing issues with newer OEM batteries crapping out on them not long after going into service.

Reason I ask is, I work for a fire dept and 95% of our portables are XTS5K's with the rest being VERY OLD 3K's, and we've had quite a few newer batteries recently start crapping out on us, resulting in a trip to our local Moto shop for new batteries.

I did search for it, but I couldn't come up with a post.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks

I do remember reading this somewhere very recently but I can't remember which one of the many forums I frequent it was on?

From memory it was a specific date code of a specific chemistry battery that someone had noticed a higher than usual failure rate to fully charge? I'll see if I can find out more detail.
    Andrew

Thanks

Great, thanks!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

I use those NTN9862C Lithium Ion IMPRES batteries. I'm not really thrilled about how long they last (lifetime). I have some batteries with maybe 100-150 charges established, and they're already down to 50-60% capacity of new.

Yes, batteries age. But should a 2010 battery already be at half life?

IMO, IMPRES is a scam by Motorola to automatically expire their own batteries (sabotage) so new sales are guaranteed at a future, premature date.

Again, this is only my opinion and not fact.

Thanks

I had 5 of the 4150mAh super LiIon impres batts blow up into balloons... Happened just outside of warranty... Was very pissed off... About $550 worth of batteries die just outside of warranty. Motorola dealer wasn't helpful at all, blamed my impres gang charger which I also bought from him...

Interestingly I still have 1 from an earlier different batch that is running fine... And it was charged in the same gang charger to!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 570 Posts

I have some of the slim LiIon batteries and they are 1) crappy capacity, they went from 100% to about 50-60% in a year or two, and 2) they are goofy - half the time they won't read the impres data out properly, they read the serial number and chemistry but not the capacity, then later they will seem fine (still at reduced crappy capacity, but the data reads correctly sometimes).

Sometimes when the aren't reading the data and the battery gets totally dead, the charger won't even charge them, it goes to error state (because the battery is totally dead) then tries to read the data and fails to get a valid capacity, so it keeps resetting and flashing the red error light. I have to take the battery to a dumb charger and use that to "break it free" out of it's stupid cycle.

Finally, I have an 6-gang display type Impres charger, and half the slots seem goofy too, the status light doesn't agree with the display quite often.

Anybody else having these issues? Do all Impres chargers and batteries seem to suck, or is it just mine?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Sometimes when the aren't reading the data and the battery gets totally dead, the charger won't even charge them, it goes to error state (because the battery is totally dead) then tries to read the data and fails to get a valid capacity, so it keeps resetting and flashing the red error light. I have to take the battery to a dumb charger and use that to "break it free" out of it's stupid cycle.
    I've actually seen this issue with most of Motorola's rapid chargers and almost all chemistries. Battery gets too dead to charge on the gang charger or a rapid charger, putting it in a slow charger for a half hour and then back in the rapid charger works to fix it.

Thanks

Alpha, you just described all of the problems I've had with the 9862s I've used for the last 18-24 months. All were purchased brand new, from a Motorola dealer. All had CURRENT date codes on them at the time of purchase, so they were not old stock.

IMPRES = Inferior Motorola Product Requiring Extra Servicing

Thanks

Motorola released this statement today about their IMPRES product line, and the warranty pertaining to these products.

I have a feeling quite a few of us will be getting new batteries now.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Motorola released this statement today about their IMPRES product line, and the warranty pertaining to these products.

I have a feeling quite a few of us will be getting new batteries now.
    Great! Thanks a lot Mars and the rest of you guys for all of your input.

This site is waaaaay better than the other one!