Thread: MCS2000 won't go into bootstrap

Thanks

Default MCS2000 won't go into bootstrap

I'm trying to upgrade an ancient (firmware R03.13) MCS2000 to make it more useful (specifically, to work on narrowband freqs).

I built this cable: http://www.p25.ca/threads/194-MCS200...ng-FLASH-Cable and it is working beautifully except for when I try to upgrade the firmware. I'm otherwise using factory hardware and a good refresh key. The CPS makes it to step 3, and asks me to turn the radio off and back on. If I have the ignition control lead connected, it will just turn right back on into self test mode, as if it is not receiving the bootstrap command. If I leave the ignition control lead on the programming cable unhooked, the radio cycles off by itself when it asks me to turn it off and back on, but the firmware upgrade still doesn't proceed. I've tried two different smart RIB's as well.

Anyone else have other troubleshooting ideas? Is there a way to manually bootstrap?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

You must leave the ignition cable connected throughout the process. Try it again. Ignore any weird screen activity on the radio.

Thanks

Hey Mars - thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned I have tried it both ways (with and without ignit) I did manage to get it into a fail 01/90 earlier. It recovered with cycling the power. Was trying to do some troubleshooting before my post. It just seems to skip boot strap and power up normally when it asks me to cycle power.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    You must leave the ignition cable connected throughout the process. Try it again. Ignore any weird screen activity on the radio.

Thanks

This is strange. I've never seen it before. MCS upgrades usually go no problem at all. You've got that emergency jumper in place on the radio-end of the plug? (I assume yes)

I'm not 100% sure, but maybe there's an older version of the MCS which does not support firmware updates. I know the MTS2000 has the R01.xx series controllers, which are absolutely useless and cannot be updated.

Thanks

This is strange. I've never seen it before. MCS upgrades usually go no problem at all. You've got that emergency jumper in place on the radio-end of the plug? (I assume yes)
    Yep, I have 9 and 10 shorted nicely with a jumper.

I'm not 100% sure, but maybe there's an older version of the MCS which does not support firmware updates. I know the MTS2000 has the R01.xx series controllers, which are absolutely useless and cannot be updated.
    Well, this is a EU model - it has "CE" on the tag, and doesn't say flashport on it anywhere. It was programmed on a TRS for the Staff's Fire Service, and a couple of conventional channels. Serial # puts it as produced in 1996. Do you think this could be the case?

MODAT No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Yep, I have 9 and 10 shorted nicely with a jumper.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it pin 4 and pin 9 that need to be jumpered to negate the emergency?

MP 6.7 No Longer Registered

Pins 4 and 10 are both grounds. Pinout says 4 is digital ground and 10 is analog ground. In this case it probably doesn't matter as much as it would in other applications as the emergency switch is just a contact closure.

Thanks

Jay, there was an error in the "code" chart posted with the schematic in the MCS Flash Cable thread. MODAT was kind enough to report it and I've since corrected it. You may wish to review the changes, in the event they were causing your error. Sorry about this.

Thanks

Mars and MODAT - great catch, I didn't catch the error. Correction made on the cable.

Now I'm getting a message around the same step during an attempted firmware upgrade that THIS RADIO HAS AN INVALID SERIAL # - UPGRADE ABORTED. It is the serial # that is on the tag (623IWYxxxx), and I have no reason to think it is a hack job. I'm using CPS V2.03, upgrade file is CVN6231T, and a USB flash key. I can read/write with CPS and tuner OK. What makes this serial # invalid?

Anyway - I have resolved this by changing the serial # letters to "ACL" which I found in a good archive. The flash upgrade went fine at that point. For some reason, "IWY" was not going to let the CPS do the upgrade. All is good, but would like to know more about why the CPS was trying to stop this.
    Last edited by Jay; Jul 03, 2012 at 10:13 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 570 Posts

I think I know what might be happening. I believe the "I" prefixed serial numbers are units made for "grey market" in Indonesia, whereas the "A" prefix means made in the Americas. It sounds like you are "Americanizing" the radio by reflashing with an American firmware load, so you will need the corresponding American codeplug to go with it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I think I know what might be happening. I believe the "I" prefixed serial numbers are units made for "grey market" in Indonesia, whereas the "A" prefix means made in the Americas. It sounds like you are "Americanizing" the radio by reflashing with an American firmware load, so you will need the corresponding American codeplug to go with it.
    Interesting - maybe somebody did that before the radio got to me, as it works OK with NA CPS. I figured with the trunked system from England programmed in it, it had come via there. I used the Astro Serial # change procedure to get an acceptable serial # in it, and it liked the firmware upgrade just fine.

Thanks

Default Mcs2000

Hi Jay what was the Flash memory inthat radio 28F020 or 28F008 ??

thanks

Thanks

28F008 actually. Whats the difference with the two?

Thanks

memory size