7200/P5200 Speaker Contact Pad Maintenance Procedure

TRS

Prolific Contributor
Anyone have a copy of the 7200/P5200 Speaker Contact Pad Maintenance Procedure document? It was issued in 2012 by L3HARRIS TAC as part of a TSM. I have a copy of the TSM,but not the maintenance procedure document.

signal703

CS Forums $upporter
i can summarize it for you because I performed it about 600 times. Take the front cover off. Remove ALL the solder from the speaker contacts that make contact with the pogo pins. Slap it back together. The document referenced replacing the solder with a very specific type. We were never able to find it and no matter what we used, the differences in metal would cause the "divot" to reappear within months.

OP
TRS

TRS

Prolific Contributor
i can summarize it for you because I performed it about 600 times. Take the front cover off. Remove ALL the solder from the speaker contacts that make contact with the pogo pins. Slap it back together. The document referenced replacing the solder with a very specific type. We were never able to find it and no matter what we used, the differences in metal would cause the "divot" to reappear within months.
That explains a lot! I noticed as soon as I put the front cover on and then take it back off again,the divots would form. I was was using industry grade assembly line solder to replace the existing solder bumps. I guess it's not the right type. I also notice that the foam rubber ring, around the magnet, tends to start deforming even from minimal exposure to heat from the soldering iron.

So the best practice is to remove all the solder completely and let the pogo pins contact just the bare speaker contact pads? What was the reason for adding the solder in the first place?

Thanks

signal703

CS Forums $upporter
That explains a lot! I noticed as soon as I put the front cover on and then take it back off again,the divots would form. I was was using industry grade assembly line solder to replace the existing solder bumps. I guess it's not the right type. I also notice that the foam rubber ring, around the magnet, tends to start deforming even from minimal exposure to heat from the soldering iron.

So the best practice is to remove all the solder completely and let the pogo pins contact just the bare speaker contact pads? What was the reason for adding the solder in the first place?

Thanks
That's what we did and life got a lot easier. I have no idea why it was there in the first place. The pogo pins reach and depress without any solder. A spool of wick and an iron...all day

OP
TRS

TRS

Prolific Contributor
Do you have any issue with distorted audio afterwards?

OP
TRS

TRS

Prolific Contributor
I've been using Kester "44" 63/37 solder.

OP
TRS

TRS

Prolific Contributor
Well,I wasn't expecting this. I have a couple of these know that have squashed/damaged speaker pogo pins. The pins put a hole straight into the solder bumps. These are now no longer pogo pins!

These where new HARRIS replacement front covers that already had the solder bumps in place and put on the radios as is.

Is there a way to remove the damaged pogo pins? I have some P7200 donor boards.These aren't through hole soldered like the battery pogo pins. Are they somekind of press fit? I don't see any visible solder joint at the bottom of the pin part where it contacts the board either.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    815.2 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    808.1 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    919.4 KB · Views: 14
OP
TRS

TRS

Prolific Contributor
Anybody have any experience with fixing/replacing damaged speaker pogo pins?

g4tuz

The basic problem is solder has very little if any elasticity. A similar problem exists if stranded copper wire is tinned before being fixed in screw terminals, they will inevitably work lose in a short time.

OP
TRS

TRS

Prolific Contributor
Ok? Are you referring to the pads on the speaker or the speaker pogo pins?

OP
TRS

TRS

Prolific Contributor
I put another new cover on the radio, this time with out the solder on the pads, and the speaker is still getting a connection and surprisingly, the audio sounds better than it did before!

I'm skeptical on how reliable the connection will be with the damaged pogo pins.Especially,without the spring contacts

OP
TRS

TRS

Prolific Contributor
As it turns out the speaker pogo pins are "actually" surface mounted.

image.jpeg

Pretty easy to remove. A littled tricky to place precisely back on the pad! I'm trying to be quick and not apply excessive heat.

Below is my first attempt on a donor board.Right on the money!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

com501

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Hot air tool is the best way to do these. I've had a few that became pogo studs.

Reactions: TRS
OP
TRS

TRS

Prolific Contributor
Yes,ideally it would be the best way.