Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quantar Site Connect up and running

f1shs No Longer Registered

Please look at the last post at DR@F - Digital Radioamateur France about the setup in Austria ;-)
    http://draf.asso.fr/2015/08/03/quant...er-in-austria/

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to f1shs For This Useful Post:

mobios (Aug 03, 2015),spectrum24 (Aug 04, 2015)

rc50won No Longer Registered

The mountains, a beer, and two hi-tier radios on a very slick Quantar network. You guys know how to live!

cyrus is online now Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

About to take the plunge with a standalone Quantar that I've had on the air for quite a while.

I've scrounged up the Cisco, I have the serial cable, already have the Quantar with the v.24 board. Just need to make up the adaptor cable.

I'm assuming that the clocking will come from the hub so the Cisco to v.24 board adaptor will use Option 2 with TX clock in to Quantar?

I assume the Shorting group from pins 50 to 51 of the DB60 is already built into the cable?

In post #9 of the http://communications.support/thread...-Cisco-routers thread, a jumper between pins 6 and 20 is mentioned. Is this necessary?
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Both TX and RX clock comes from the Cisco, check the settings on your Quantar W/L carefully - post #5.

Yes the DB60 is jumpered internally if you have the correct cable - post #2.

Yes the 6 to 20 jumper is needed to assert DTR.

Good luck.
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

Thanks

Thanks.

So do I build the Option 1 or Option 2 cable?
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Option 2 and then jumper 6 to 20 on the back of the DB25P.

Thanks

I have, what is perhaps, a weird question. Will QSC work with a Quantar that is set to be a base station, not repeater station?

Thanks

Yes, it doesn't care.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to spectrum24 For This Useful Post:

wiredwrx (Sep 21, 2015)

Thanks

Anyone able to offer "elmering" for this. Radio stuff, I am somewhat conversant in. But programming and networking, well, I am pretty much lost. I have been reading the threads, and have gotten very confused. Anyone able to give me some one on one help with this.

Thanks

I can provide some limited help. Just got up and running on the network. Went smoothly despite a bum wireline card and a bad jumper.

The Cisco part of it was relatively easy thanks to the threads here.
    Cyrus

Thanks

Thanks Cyrus. One other person also responded, and have sent him a lengthy email. Depending on how that goes, I may call on you for some help.

ka4ymy No Longer Registered

Hello to the group! I am waiting on delivery of a UHF Quantar to be placed into amateur radio service in my area. I need to contact spectrum24 for access onto the network. Looking forward to participating with you all!

73-
    Steve KA4YMY
    Charlotte, NC USA

ka4ymy No Longer Registered

Do any switches need to be set on a genuine Motorola wireline / v.24 board for spectrum24's approach to work correctly (ie, Astro Spectra post #5)??

ryan_turner No Longer Registered

Hi spectrum24,

Would you be willing to share your node.js implementation? I'd be interested in porting it to golang before the codebase gets too large. I don't have a P25 repeater yet but I hope at some point next year I'll get one up and running. I'm also interested in your thoughts on user experience if one were to bridge to allstar.

Thanks

Hi Ryan

The node.js never made it very far. It just wasn't going to be able to do what it needed to. I have recently toyed with the idea of a golang port, but leaning more towards c++/boost. Are you an experienced golang developer?

As far as Allstar bridge, while I like Allstar very much for analog linking, I would only allow it to be bridged to the P25 network in very limited circumstances. It works pretty well with full quieting stations. The problem is with stations that are even a little noisy on analog - the P25 codec just doesn't code noise well and it sounds pretty awful.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_turner View Post
    Hi spectrum24,

Would you be willing to share your node.js implementation? I'd be interested in porting it to golang before the codebase gets too large. I don't have a P25 repeater yet but I hope at some point next year I'll get one up and running. I'm also interested in your thoughts on user experience if one were to bridge to allstar.

Thanks

This sounds awesome. Is there a list of participating repeaters?

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum24 View Post
    As far as Allstar bridge, while I like Allstar very much for analog linking, I would only allow it to be bridged to the P25 network in very limited circumstances. It works pretty well with full quieting stations. The problem is with stations that are even a little noisy on analog - the P25 codec just doesn't code noise well and it sounds pretty awful.
    Many, maybe even most, P25 and DMR users are on digital to escape analog audio. My P25 machines are digital only for that reason.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 689 Posts

I'm also interested in your thoughts on user experience if one were to bridge to allstar.
    Run a port into a DIU3000, connect that to your URI or RTCM. I agree that it shouldn't be done on the wider network though.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro Spectra View Post
    Many, maybe even most, P25 and DMR users are on digital to escape analog audio. My P25 machines are digital only for that reason.
    When I'm on digital it's to escape the analog users... but that's just me. </snark>

Thanks

[QUOTE=motorola_otaku;75779]Run a port into a DIU3000, connect that to your URI or RTCM. I agree that it shouldn't be done on the wider network though.

Yes, please don't.

Having said that, I break the rules sometimes, but it's my football

ryan_turner No Longer Registered

I'm honestly a bit of a golang beginner -- looking for an excuse to make a project in it. I have a few coworkers who swear by it who have been trying to nudge me in that direction. All of my professional work is either in C derivatives and Java. I haven't done any C# in a good while.

Why C++? What sort of dependencies does the project have?

Thanks

[QUOTE=spectrum24;75783]
    Quote Originally Posted by motorola_otaku View Post
    Run a port into a DIU3000, connect that to your URI or RTCM. I agree that it shouldn't be done on the wider network though.

Yes, please don't.

Having said that, I break the rules sometimes, but it's my football
    I'm very grateful for the extremely high signal to noise ratio on QSC.

DMR MARC has turned into a wasteland thanks to the ease of getting on the air with all those el cheapo radios available to the masses.
    Cyrus

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cyrus For This Useful Post:

Mars (Nov 10, 2015),spectrum24 (Nov 10, 2015)

Thanks

Seemed to be the most portable option that's highly supported. Golang is below fortran and cobol as far as popularity, according to one survey I saw. And I need all the examples I can get! So c++ seemed to be the best option, and the Boost library seems very popular.

I'm honestly a bit of a golang beginner -- looking for an excuse to make a project in it. I have a few coworkers who swear by it who have been trying to nudge me in that direction. All of my professional work is either in C derivatives and Java. I haven't done any C# in a good while.

Why C++? What sort of dependencies does the project have?

Thanks

CSI & Tytera - The new Baofeng.

[QUOTE=cyrus;75846]
    Quote Originally Posted by spectrum24 View Post

I'm very grateful for the extremely high signal to noise ratio on QSC.

DMR MARC has turned into a wasteland thanks to the ease of getting on the air with all those el cheapo radios available to the masses.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spectrum24 For This Useful Post:

cyrus (Nov 10, 2015),dh6kq (Nov 11, 2015),k1ngfish (Nov 12, 2015),Mars (Nov 10, 2015)

Thanks

Hi everyone,
    I've had a Quantar sitting in my home office for about a year now, in my way. I think it's time I finally warm it up.
    I think I'm going to be interested in connecting it up to QSC once I finally get it up and running but have a quick question as I gather my ideas for this ham repeater in my head. I didn't see this mentioned but is a mixed-mode Quantar able to be on the QSC and obviously only allow P25 traffic over the network? Or is there a requirement where digital-only Quantar's are allowed?

Thanks in advance,

--Rad

29. The Following User Says Thank You to NFRad For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Mixed mode is fine. Only P25 can/will be carried over QSC.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to wiredwrx For This Useful Post: