Thread: Just a thought for members who might looking to get started in P25

Thanks

Default Just a thought for members who might looking to get started in P25

Just a thought, being that I'm not to familiar with this stuff my self. I was wondering if someone could come up with a quick guide into what to look for when you are looking to purchase a XTS3000 or Astro Saber. Like what Firmwares to watch out for, and what to look for in a flashcode, and so on and so on. I kinda know what to look for, a friend is asking me and I really don't want to give him any wrong info.

Thanks guys.

Neo No Longer Registered

Make sure if an Astro Saber it has a 1 Meg vocon. The later the firmware the better as well.

Thanks

I know model codes and flashcodes can be somewhat confusing when you first start out with Motorola products but that's like asking "Which Chevy should I buy"?

What model radio with which flashcode you will need depends on what you hope to do with the radio? Do you need VHF, UHF, 700/800, is it for HAM use, professional use etc.?

Although there are some exceptions to the rule (you are dealing with Motorola after all) usually the latest firmware is better.
    Andrew

Thanks

Thanks for the tip guys. That's what I usually do but wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else I might have been missing.

Recently I took a gamble on eBay buying a XTS3000 the firmware and DPS were not listed in the listing, I got lucky though when it came in I read the radio and it was close to current.

Thanks

It ALWAYS pays to ask in that situation, if the seller is reputable, honest & genuine they will normally do their best to help prospective buyers, although the fact that they never listed the information in the listing raises a red_flag.gif in itself?
    Andrew

Thanks

In the listing he stated that he didn't have the capabilities for programming and he had more then one he was selling, in the listing it was stated that these where retired radios from a police dept. The Seller had good feedback that is the only reason why I ended up purchasing one, and I'm happy that I did.

Here is the listing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Motorola...item2ebfe11238

Thanks

and the Firmware of the Model I bought is 07.71.07 and the DSP is N08.03.05
    Last edited by kc2obw; Jul 11, 2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: typo on DSP

Thanks

I've been fortunate enough to have some super smart friends who have helped me make good choices, but for anyone getting started in P25 there is no better resource than Mars' Guide to ASTRO Digital Radios. Read it, then read it again and you will know enough to make a good purchase decision. Then, read *everything* on this board!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,931 Times in 1,469 Posts