Thread: XTS3000 fail 01/82 cant recover

freerider-aust No Longer Registered

Default XTS3000 fail 01/82 cant recover

I have a xts3000 firmware 7.10.01 dsp 8.02.06 and a des secure board i removed the battery whilst on and got fail 01/82
    i tryed reprogramming radio with no luck i removed secure board and tryed reprogramming with no luck
    i can read and write radio.tuner software can read radio but will not program back to radio.
    so i tryed a backup srecord and tryed to read write radio (it will read and write but still fail 01/82)
    tryed a diffrent srecord still no luck
    i have had problems with other radios with fail 01/82 before but have been able to recover with no problems
    the cpu must still be working as i can still read and write radio
    i do not have a ibutton so i cant try a reflash
    thank to all who might reply

Thanks

Hi freerider-aust
    If you get a chance to get a hold of a detailed service manual for the xts3k's, take a look at Chart 7 on page 10-9 it has the flow chart of diagnosing your exact problem Fail 01/82 External EEprom checksum failure. If you haven't got the manual handy, it is available here in the Manuals section

Hope that is of some help.

Good Luck.... Michael

Thanks

It sonds like the problem is not in the code plug portion of the memory. CPS may not be able to fix the problem. You may have to send it in to someone for a deeper level repair. There are a couple of people on this site who should be able to help. Read through some of the similar problem posts and some of the upgrade posts.

Thanks

I have had several of these problems over the years. It does have to do with the codeplug. I have noticed 9/10 times of you have a older codeplug from the same (and I mean same) radio, try using CPS to resend the file.

If this doesn't work then you will have to send it in to a Motorola repair shop.

Thanks

I have the same problem generated by a lightly different method - programming link disconnected between computer/radio during a codeplug write. I have been searching around and educating myself more regarding this FAIL 01/82 on an XTS3000. Not totally sure if I should post also in this thread, but I guess it depends on the future solution to solve the FAIL 01/82 error.

I also tried restoring from a backed-up srec (known to be good from same radio), but keep getting the same problem.
    When trying to write with windows CPS, it gives the error that the radio is inhibited, which is weird, but familiar as I saw this in another previous post. As from previous posts here, one could say that the U706 32K EEPROM containing the codeplug is corrupt and needs rewriting: probably both the internal and external areas.

However, experimenting a bit, I loaded in an Astro Saber srec, and the xts3000 now works - albiet with an AstroSaber srec, so not perfect. I can also read and program this in windows CPS...

This has lead me to the next idea in that, if I had a clean new srec for an XTS3000 H09RDH9PW7AN and loaded this, this should help solve the FAIL 01/82 problem?? (Of course after altering the serial to the original state and retuning the softpots...)

Can anyone advise on this??

I presume another option is to remove U706 the 32K x8 EEPROM and write back the original s-record that was initially backed up... (as I understand to write the internal part of the EEPROM which CPS doesn't touch)

As I have gathered most information from this site and around the internet, please feel free to make any corrections to the above (great site by the way! A lot of very useful, concise, and informative information to soak up here!)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

Just a thought here guys, and by no means am I speaking on anything I've personally encountered yet:

The 32K EEPROM in the XTS3000 does have a finite number of read/write cycles, before it starts to wear out. The radio constantly writes/reads from this EEPROM during normal operation. (Last selected zone/channel before power-down, trunking site variables, last PC/CA radio IDs, Soft IDs, last DTMF digits dialed during interconnect call, status of site-lock, monitor, squelch values (if using ASTRO Spectra), etc. I'm trying to illustrate there are plenty of read/writes going on with the EEPROM, outside of CPS programming sessions.

Once the EEPROM starts wearing out, it can and will exhibit signs of data corruption; i.e. FAIL 01/82 (checksum error).

Like I said, I've personally not seen this, yet. But as the XTS3000 starts to age, I'm sure this type of error will surface -- just like the leaky cap(s) issue in the ASTRO Spectra did.

The first XTS3000s left Moto in 1996 -- 16 years ago. Add another two years for the ASTRO Saber/Spectra line.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

tsunami_australia (Jan 31, 2015)

Thanks

Thanks for the input Mars.

Can someone send me a known working srec or create a new srec for an XTS3000 H09RDH9PW7AN so I can test to see if this will revive the FAIL 01/82 error?

Thanks in advance!

i might have to remove the eeprom from a good one and copy to the bad one it might fix it
    it would be posible for the eeprom to fail i have had a few eproms fail before
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Just a thought here guys, and by no means am I speaking on anything I've personally encountered yet:

The 32K EEPROM in the XTS3000 does have a finite number of read/write cycles, before it starts to wear out. The radio constantly writes/reads from this EEPROM during normal operation. (Last selected zone/channel before power-down, trunking site variables, last PC/CA radio IDs, Soft IDs, last DTMF digits dialed during interconnect call, status of site-lock, monitor, squelch values (if using ASTRO Spectra), etc. I'm trying to illustrate there are plenty of read/writes going on with the EEPROM, outside of CPS programming sessions.

Once the EEPROM starts wearing out, it can and will exhibit signs of data corruption; i.e. FAIL 01/82 (checksum error).

Like I said, I've personally not seen this, yet. But as the XTS3000 starts to age, I'm sure this type of error will surface -- just like the leaky cap(s) issue in the ASTRO Spectra did.

The first XTS3000s left Moto in 1996 -- 16 years ago. Add another two years for the ASTRO Saber/Spectra line.

Thanks

The FAIL 01/82 error is now solved for me.

A fresh new srec was written in and the XTS3000 now boots as it should :-)
    (No EEPROM removal... )

Thanks to those who lent a hand!

freerider-aust: as experiment, if you have another XTS3000 srec around, or a new one, try loading it into the XTS3000 with FAIL 01/82 error to see if this solves the error - also note, make sure the correct tool is being used to backup and write the srec (I suspect this caused me the trouble). Try this before you remove/swap the physical EEPROM.

Thanks

The solution of loading of a srec like the saber to correct the one issue and then loading in a proper srec for the radio to fix the problem has appeared before. It is highly unstable but does work. Nice find on the combination that worked here maybe others can try it if they get the fail error.

tryed mutiple srec but havent tryed a astro saber one as i dont have one the radio i have is a 403-470 model 3 is some can help me with a astro saber srec that would be good
    thanks david

Neo No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Notarola
    The solution of loading of a srec like the saber to correct the one issue and then loading in a proper srec for the radio to fix the problem has appeared before. It is highly unstable but does work. Nice find on the combination that worked here maybe others can try it if they get the fail error.
    Do what driver?

Thanks

From my experiance what can sometimes be done when the radio will not accept a prober codeplug for that series is to load a codeplug from another series using the same micro and then reload the orignal one that wouldnt load. I did this lots on maxtracs there was a 32 chan codeplug that would crash the radio on install but if you loaded a 2 channel codeplug (any band) and then loaded the 32 chan codeplug the radio would take it and work fine. I never did trace out the actual incomaptability but doing the daisy chained installs worked and rescued numerous VHF maxtracs.

Thanks for everyone input i have tryed all the suggested thing still with no luck i am heading down the road of removing eeprom
    would some have a image i could put in eeprom saves pulling apart another radio
    its a 403-470 m3
    thanks
    Last edited by freerider-aust; Aug 06, 2012 at 01:10 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by freerider-aust View Post
    Thanks for everone input i have tryed all the sujested thing still with no luck i am headind down the road of removing eeprom
    would some have a image i could put in eeprom saves pulling apart another radio
    its a 403-470 m3
    thanks
    Please consider using a browser such as Firefox, which has a built-in spell-checking utility. Reading your post makes me want to smash my screen.

Thanks

Please consider using a browser such as Firefox, which has a built-in spell-checking utility. Reading your post makes me want to smash my screen.
    Off topic I know (sorry) but there is a free browser extension for Internet Explorer called IE Spell, works well for spelling, although it takes a while to teach it to speak Australian, but unfortunately doesn't check grammar (what do you want for free), you can find it here:

http://www.iespell.com/

I've been using it for years and I spel jist grate...
    Andrew

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Hooked on fonics wurked for me!
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

it was to early in the morning normally not that bad

hayes_guziejka No Longer Registered

So, I have the same error code.
    I got the XTS3k with the whored out flash code from a friend. The first time I turned it on it self-tested and had a short boop but did not display any Fail codes. I read the radio and saved the original codeplug, made changes and saved as. I wrote the codeplug to the radio and the software said it was unable to write radio successfully and now the radio boots up and displays FAIL 01/82.
    Also, now I cant read or write the radio and I get a communication error.
    Can anyone help solve this issue?
    Thanks, William

Thanks

Do you have a copy of the S Record for this radio from when it was working ?