Thread: XTS 3000 wont come out of self test

Thanks

bang XTS 3000 wont come out of self test

Went in to make two minor frequency changes to a conventional codeplug. (Radio was working fine before) When I went to program, got a communication failure error. Tried again with the same result. Now it wont come out of self test. Ideas?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,931 Times in 1,469 Posts

Try changing the battery? I've seen radios act wonky like this if the battery voltage is too low. (Then try reprogramming the codeplug)

You might need to send the radio to the NeoDepot or the MarsDepot for repair...heh heh.

Thanks

I did try a fresh battery as a matter of fact, was the first thing that crossed my mind, but still have the same issue. Not good.

Neo No Longer Registered

It may just come out of test mode, but you have to let it sit there for 20 or more minutes. I seen a xts3000 take 30 minutes sit in testmode before it displayed the error code.

Bass Junkie No Longer Registered

If there's anything plugged in, try removing it. Had my xts3000 stay at that screen after reboot once, removed the programming cable and continued the boot fine.

MrMixx No Longer Registered

I just had this happen to me yesterday on an Astro Saber that refuses to be read. It would come up with a communications failure and hang at Self Test until the programming cable was disconnected.

MrMixx

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 579 Posts

I had that happen to me too! Here's a possible reason/fix: The GROUND RING BULLSEYE IS LOSING GROUND! Take a ohmmeter if you have one and measure resistance between the (-) negative battery contact and the ground ring on the "universal" (speaker/mic) connector. I found it to be open or intermittent!!

To fix it, there's a gold C-Clip that retains the coaxial bullseye assembly. That clip needs to be pushed toward the top of the radio chassis to snap it back into place! Unfortunately you have to take the housing off, and remove the VOCON and RF deck board to access this assembly but it's an easy fix and will cause the symptom of no programming/radio won't come out of self-test or power off untill you remove the cable or unplug it from the RIB.

I originally figured this out because I had a crappy programming cable with a bad ground and when the ground wire broke, it would do exactly the same thing - that's what got me thinking about the ground ring issue! - That's a good one for the book of wierd.

iamjason No Longer Registered

Since I'd rather not start a new thread, I figure I'd revive this one. Curious if anyone has found another workaround for this?

Had the same thing happen to my radio. (U-Split XTS3k Model II - R06.72/N8.03) Computer froze in the middle of programming. After letting it sit for the better part of the afternoon, I gave in and restarted it. Radio is now stuck in Self Test (green light is on, and turns off momentarily every few seconds). Won't read/write at all - can't even force an s-record into it. Tried leaving it on for a few hours to see if it would clear, tried swapping batteries, cables, boards and everything else but to no avail.

If there's no other solution, guess I'll be posting in the Wanted section for another 9600 baud controller.

Thanks

Or you can send it Mars.

I suppose Mars would be the logical next step.

In the meantime, going to see if the radio will even go into bootloader mode (holding emg button and PTT while turning on).

Thanks
    Thanked 4,931 Times in 1,469 Posts

3000s don't work like that. No bootloader.

Rats. In that case, you have an email waiting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iamjason View Post
    ...9600 baud....

ARRGHHHHHHHHH.......!

Quote Originally Posted by MattSR View Post
    ARRGHHHHHHHHH.......!
    While the radio was going to be used to monitor a 9600 system, it only had p25 conventional channels in it when this happened. So it hasn't been inhibited if that's what you're implying. Although I almost wish it had been since that would be easier to recover from.
    Last edited by iamjason; Sep 19, 2013 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks

Nah its just a pet hate of mine - 9600 systems are 9600bps (bits per second) not 9600 baud. 9600bps trunked systems actually run at 4800 baud

In any case I'd be looking at the hardware - or sending it to Mars/Neo if you're not comfortable pulling it apart.

PS - P25.ca people will look at technical issues with technical eyes. No one here automatically says things like - "Oh your radio is broken, you must have put it on a TRS and its now inhibited" - without being sure of the facts first

Cheers,
    Matt

Gotcha. I figured it was something less serious (for instance, I thought I had mispelled "baud"). Thanks for the clarification though! I guess some of the other boards out there have placed me on the defensive about anything trunking haha.

I've contacted Mars about it should I finally give in on this thing. I've checked all hardware connections, tried it with different displays (if for whatever reason there was some firmware incompatibility there), tried it with a different RF board, a different housing with different electronics, and pretty much every other combination in between. Still no dice.

As it sits, I've taken a good DSP and controller board from a spare VHF radio and dropped in an older (pre 9600 firmware update) s-rec from the same radio so it'll at least monitor what I want in conventional format. Having done that, I now know the RF board is still in good shape. If anything I might just stick with that and have the firmware/dsp redone. Although that leaves me with a non working VHF radio....
    Last edited by iamjason; Sep 19, 2013 at 07:04 PM.

danb1021 No Longer Registered

When this happens to me on my xts5000, it shows at the top "not responding". I open a new window and try to read the radio and if it reads correct, then go back over to the other screen and write to the radio. If it stops responding when I'm reading the radio and the light on the radio is green and seems like it's locked up, I unplug the radio until the "not responding" goes away, then I try to read the radio again.

Sometimes it works sometimes it won't. I think I'm using too fast of a computer with Windows 8, but who knows. Good luck!

FIXED!

It might be a little unorthodox, but here's now this all worked out.

I was playing around with FDB tool tonight and decided to try something. I programmed up a random flashcode and wrote it to the radio. It took a few tries, but I was able to get FDB to write to the radio despite it being stuck in "Self Test" mode. Of course, FDB tool only writes to a certain block of the codeplug, but it screwed it up enought that radio (I think) bypassed the corrupt portion (thus, finally exiting "Self Test") of the codeplug and went straight to "Fail xx/xx".

From there, it was as simple as dropping in the proper S-rec and presto - radio works perfectly.

Of course, this was a "what the hell, let's do it" method of doing things, and should only be reserved as a last resort when you could care less whether the radio ultimately gets bricked or not (because it already is).

seadoo1a No Longer Registered

Did you try to load an s-record back to it ?