Thread: Adventures with XTS3000, RIB-less cable, and a clueless noob

Bass Junkie No Longer Registered

Default Adventures with XTS3000, RIB-less cable, and a clueless noob

Hi All,

Bought an XTS3000 to play around with off eBay, have a bit of experience with various radios but this is my first foray into Motorola-land. Decided to take my chances and grab a cheapy programming cable from Kawa Mall, however it seems to be failing to connect with the radio. Tried in both Win 7 x64 (I know, bad idea) and Windows XP via Virtual Box. When attempting to connect through CPS it just sits there for a minute before failing, no change of display on the radio. Once or twice it has rebooted and displayed "1 CSQ" then the software immediately failed as per usual.

From my I.T. knowledge I would assume that this would be due to a faulty cable, but wouldn't rule out software based issues.

What would you guys recommend as the next troubleshooting step; reformat an old laptop or buy a more expensive cable?

Thanks
    Dave

Oh, and have tried connecting in Tuner as well as CPS, same result. Also tried other basic suggestions found on the net such as ensuring battery is fresh, reseating the connection between cables, etc.

Thanks

Which programming cable did you buy from Kawa? The XTS3000 and XTS5000 use different programming cables.

It's the xts3k one "Programming RIB Cable Motorola Radio MTX-8000 XTS3000 GP9000 XTS3500 HT1000 JEDI"

At least hopefully that's the right one

Thanks

I have a Kawa ribless cable that works just fine with MTS2000 and XTS3000 radios. I'm using the serial version because I have never found the USB versions to be reliable due to driver issues. I use the cable both on an XP box, and on a Windows 7 64 bit box under XP Mode. No problems.

Motorola doesn't make a ribless cable for the XTS3000, so you will need a RIB and a cable to go with the RIB. That's a very expensive option, but is also very reliable.
    Last edited by Number 6; Jul 16, 2012 at 12:05 AM.

Thanks mate, might give XP mode a try tonight, see if it offers any difference over Virtualbox, then time to play the repartition game!

Neo No Longer Registered

I bet if you install XP on a computer, rather than using a virtual box, it will work.

freerider-aust No Longer Registered

i have had the same issue it is something to do with timing with serial ports i used a usb to serial port converter and that solved the problem use the ch340 one that works its the green on off ebay

Cheers for all your help guys, repartitioned and got XP on this box and able to read/write to the radio, now have it up and running scanning the local 9600bps trunked network in conventional.

When I have a bit more time I might see exactly what virtualisation products CPS works under, XP mode wouldn't install on this thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    Cheers for all your help guys, repartitioned and got XP on this box and able to read/write to the radio, now have it up and running scanning the local 9600bps trunked network in conventional.

When I have a bit more time I might see exactly what virtualisation products CPS works under, XP mode wouldn't install on this thing.
    Not sure of your firmware/flashcode, but if you don't have ASTRO25 firmware (R06.xx.xx host, N08.xx.xx DSP) and ASTRO25 in the flashcode, Neo or myself can reflash/add for you. You can do the conventional scan trick and monitor much more reliably, than scanning the trunking repeaters in conventional mode, using DSQ -- if that's how you're doing it.

If you're already at 9600 firmware/flash, then pardon my assumption

Thanks

From my time administering a scanner forum here, Bass Junkie is in New South Wales monitoring the NSW GRN (400MHz system)

I'm curious what the difference is between the "conventional scan trick" and scanning the "trunked repeaters in DSQ mode". Apologies if its detailed elsewhere!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MattSR View Post
    From my time administering a scanner forum here, Bass Junkie is in New South Wales monitoring the NSW GRN (400MHz system)

I'm curious what the difference is between the "conventional scan trick" and scanning the "trunked repeaters in DSQ mode". Apologies if its detailed elsewhere!
    There's two ways to safely monitor a 9600 (digital-only) trunking system, with a Moto radio. This also applies to a 3600 system with digital-only talkgroups.

1. Scan all the voice channels as RX-only conventional channels. Set each personality up as ASTRO RX, and the squelch type to Digital CSQ. (unmutes on all ASTRO)

2. Use Notarola's instructions and program the radio so the trunked talkgroups and conventional channels share the same scanlist. Sit on conventional channel, and scan trunking system. (No conventional channels in scanlist -- just talkgroups on TRS. System search time is 255. It works as good as being on the TRS, and SmartZone roaming also works. All this without affiliation or disrupting/accessing the TRS.)

But if the system is mixed-mode, option #1 will not work. And if it's UHF, obviously the offer of a firmware update to ASTRO25 9600 is not going to happen.

On the money Matt.

It is UHF 9600, been trying to get it set up under Notorola's instructions and stuck trying to get a valid band plan for the system, I imagine this is because I am trying to enter the details of a P25 system into type II config. From my understanding it wouldn't be possible to create a trunking system profile for NSW GRN on XTS3k, would be very happy to be corrected on that though.

In the mean time I'll keep playing with, and breaking, my new toy.

Thanks

You still in BX mate?

mtp850 No Longer Registered

Bass Junkie, sell the xts3000 and buy one of the cheap xts2500's or better still xts5000's on ebay. I can give you some assistance in taking you through the steps. the xts3000 is old skool for what you want to do on a 9600 system!

Nah Matt, in Sydney now, that's another problem - GPT has too many channels to fit a scanlist, luckily I'm within Little Bay's range.

mtp850, keeping an eye out for them, just got this one as a cheap toy, would really like xts5000 + xtva + hhch, as always have to wait for sufficient funding.