Thread: XTS5000 with tied-down 800 MHz whip

Thanks
    Thanked 4,928 Times in 1,468 Posts

Default XTS5000 with tied-down 800 MHz whip

Anyone ever come across this bizarre practice before?

cops.jpg

7" 1/2 wave 700/800 MHz whip on XTS5000, tied down in a loop. This screen shot is from an episode of COPS.

Why? I guess the antenna pokes them in the armpit when on the belt? Maybe they want an easier way to carry the radio?

Either way, it must be terrible for RF performance.

cops-2.jpg

Thanks

I think I remember seeing NYPD doing that with the whips on the old Analog saber I's

Thanks

Pezking just mentioned to me: It kind of obstructs their access to the emergency button...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Pezking just mentioned to me: It kind of obstructs their access to the emergency button...
    In my two years of LE dispatch, I never had an officer use his emergency button for a legitimate emergency.

Oh, and I thought circular polarization was just a broadcast thing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kf4lhp View Post
    In my two years of LE dispatch, I never had an officer use his emergency button for a legitimate emergency.

Oh, and I thought circular polarization was just a broadcast thing.
    I agree about the valid uses for emergency button. In the last decade, I've heard it used twice for legitimate reasons:

- A police officer had just been shot in the face. He lived.
    - Paramedics were in the back of their ambulance when a patient became violent and they were unable to talk to dispatch as they were slugging fists with the drunk bastard. Dispatch immediately looked up their GPS location and sent police to correct street intersection.

I dislike the small 800 MHz "stubby", but I bet even it would work better than the antenna in the pics

Thanks

I've seen local officers doing it with their 3000s. My immediate thought is, "Aw, terrible!!"

What bothers me worse though is when officers try to buy stubbies on their own without researching or even asking their respective radio shop. Just the other day, a Virginia State Trooper pulled up to the Motorola shop I work for and asked if we had stubbies as his had broken. I knew they use 700 freqs for the DVRS back to VHF hi and the VSP shop only stocks full length whips. I looked at it and sure enough, it was the wrong split (according to the insulator color, of course). It was also suspect looking and I asked him where he had procured it from and he replied eBay . We got him straightened out though.

Thanks

I have too. I was at a car show once and NYPD had a booth there for recruitment purposes and the NYPD officer I was speaking with had his antenna tied down with a rubber band. Not only will the radio perform poorly but I'm sure that adds some stress to the antenna connection as well.
    Last edited by kc2obw; Jul 21, 2012 at 08:22 PM. Reason: spell correction

Thanks

On the same note. I have seen some of the Taxi's here in the area running 5/8 VHF on the tops of their minivans. The have them bent over and tied to the roof racks like the old Lowband whips . Im sure that really gets out.

Thanks

Next time when I'm at work I'll have to take a pic of one of the DPW Jeeps, it has a one of those ASP gain UHF antenna's on it and the Jeep is parked in a parking garage with low clearance, they take the whip and feed it through under the roof rack. If they were smart they would of had the radio shop but a quaterwave antenna on.

Thanks

I heard about some users in a manufacturing environment doing this on MTX-8250s. The plant was all BDA'd up, so their belief was that it didn't affect their performance. A couple of years later they started to complain about increasing coverage problems in some parts of the plant. After checking the radios - surprise, surprise - bad PAs on many of those radios with the tied down antennas. Could be an expensive mistake over time.

Cheers,
    SD.

Thanks

Why not just get a stubby 1/4 wave? That would be more effective and less stressful on the antenna connector? Ugh, I hate seeing this. You can always tell a former public safety portable by the antenna's contorted shape!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 579 Posts

Heh, reminds me of this antique!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Alpha, isn't that one of those things you use to beat eggs with?