Thread: Threads will now auto-close after 60 days of inactivity

Thanks

Default Threads will now auto-close after 60 days of inactivity

Dear users,

Due to newbs constantly replying to old/archived threads, there is now an automatic lock in effect which will close threads after 30-days of inactivity.

If you have a question or comment to post, please start your own thread in the appropriate forum. You may also use the "Thanks" button in the lower-left corner of a post, to indicate your appreciation of the information posted.

Thank you

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Communications Support Forums For This Useful Post:

BlackJack09 (Nov 30, 2014),com501 (Nov 30, 2014),Jay (Nov 30, 2014)

PRC148 No Longer Registered

I've never understood why old topics are frowned upon in web forums (most all forums). It seems like it's a better use of storage and easier to follow an issue or topic if it's allowed to continue in one place. There are quite a few topics that are discussed that will remain dormant for a while then when someone makes a new discovery or finds a way to update a new piece of software the topic gets bumped up a month or two later.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,739 Times in 1,700 Posts

People get annoyed when they get an email notification of a reply for a topic that is three years old. Plus idiots hijack old threads. Time for them to make new ones.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 711 Posts

Start a new thread, you can always paste a reference to the old thread in your post.
    Retarded Mongoloid on PCP...

Thanks

It's debatable. Some boards prohibit updates of old 'dead' threads, but others requires to post similar questions strictly to old threads dedicated to some subject (e.g. Passive trunking monitoring or TRBO FW update). It's two opposite concepts. I know that most american board admins like first option. But I like second, because this concept is used for many years on many European boards I like. It's not easy to change mind if you are used to. But I respect rules of C.S and will follow them. So it's not a problem for me.
    Last edited by MotFAN; Nov 30, 2014 at 02:14 PM.
    Everyone who loves RadioReference get into the hell.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,739 Times in 1,700 Posts

Many people think of a thread as a "trouble ticket", especially in the software/programming support forum. Once an issue is resolved, it is considered rude if someone else comes along and posts an unrelated question to the thread. It's hijacking and absolute nonsense.

Guys, from a moderation point of view, we have dozens of posts in a day in the moderation queue. Some of them are hijacks to historical threads which have seen no action in 1-2 years. That's just stupid.

As I mentioned, many people get sent email "topic reply notifications" when someone replies to an ancient thread. Dozens of cell phones beeping because someone was too clueless to create their own thread.

The auto-lock feature is flexible. If requested, we can create a long-term projects forum where threads are not locked.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 711 Posts

Isn't that what 'stickies' are for?
    Retarded Mongoloid on PCP...

PRC148 No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Many people think of a thread as a "trouble ticket", especially in the software/programming support forum. Once an issue is resolved, it is considered rude if someone else comes along and posts an unrelated question to the thread. It's hijacking and absolute nonsense.

Guys, from a moderation point of view, we have dozens of posts in a day in the moderation queue. Some of them are hijacks to historical threads which have seen no action in 1-2 years. That's just stupid.

As I mentioned, many people get sent email "topic reply notifications" when someone replies to an ancient thread. Dozens of cell phones beeping because someone was too clueless to create their own thread.

The auto-lock feature is flexible. If requested, we can create a long-term projects forum where threads are not locked.
    Sounds reasonable to me.

Thanks

- The thread auto-close time has been adjusted to 60 days.

- A new "Long-term projects" forum has been created. Threads spanning several months/years will be moved there. This forum is exempt from thread-locking.

http://communications.support/forums...-term-projects

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Communications Support Forums For This Useful Post:

bstafford (Dec 02, 2014),com501 (Dec 01, 2014),moetorola (Dec 01, 2014),p47r4ck (Dec 01, 2014),sjxts3000 (Dec 01, 2014),SVFD_Chief (Dec 01, 2014)