Thread: MCS2000 FAIL 01/90

Thanks

Default MCS2000 FAIL 01/90

I finally got two RCH3000 remotes, an L3208A junction box, and a CDN1337 junction box to all play nice together. Well, after everything was working fine, I unplugged the power to one of the RCH3000s and the "system" froze up. I powered everything down and back on again and got FAIL 01/90.

I pulled the head to look for the loose 5V regulator, but everything looks fine. Is there anything else that I can look for?

The radio has a single beep upon power up, but the display remains blank and no beeps are heard during button presses. Kind of depressing after I got the remotes working that this happened.

Thanks guys,
    Scott

Thanks

Okay, I verified that the voltage regulators on the main board are soldered and still functioning as per the GM900 service manual. I can't seem to find an MCS2000 service manual anywhere.

If anybody has any leads on where I should start, I'm all ears.

Some more info, both of the RCH3000s, the MCS2000, and the L3208A were all using the same power source (an Astron RS-35A power supply). I suppose that the voltage could have spiked on the radio once I pulled the plug on one of the RCH3000s. That is when everything went south.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 579 Posts

Wow, bad luck guy. I don't know that much about the MCS line, but the first order of business when troubleshooting is to divide and conquer. Simplify the arrangement, try just the radio alone with none of the other stuff connected. Then, if that works, try just hooking up the junction box. Finally, add consoles one at a time and try to see where the failure point is induced.

If you have already done this, then the radio itself is toast, IIRC that's a single board radio so if the power is OK there's not a whole lot more troubleshooting you can do. If you can locate the manual, find out where the junction box talks to the radio, trace that and see if any parts are smoked along that path, if not the CPU or ASIC might be blown up, either way it's not looking too good. Think another radio or an Astro Spectra Consolette on eBay...

Thanks

Yep, that's what I was thinking. I was so freakin happy when everything was working and was trying to figure out how to just turn off the RCH3000 that would be in our computer room. Note to self, don't unplug the power... Damn, this things receiver was HOT! I bought another control head off of Ebay just to see if that may have been the problem, so we'll see. The schematic is slightly different for the GM900 and that's all I have.

The jacked up part is I have been looking for this radio for a while. Finally found one for a reasonable price and I blow it up... W9 VHF Astro Spectras are non-existant and when you find one, they want a bar of gold in trade. There is another VHF MCS2000 on Ebay right now, but I'll hold off until the head comes in.

I guess all of the 1s and 0s where lined up just right (wrong) when I killed the power...

Thanks,
    Scott

Thanks

Forgot to ask. Does Motorola still flat-rate repair these?

Thanks

Called Motorola today and they stopped flat-rate repair on all MCS2000s except for the 900 MHz models. Oh well.

Thanks

Good news!

I ordered a used control head and it now works again. The radio itself is fine, just something in the control head bit the dust. I guess it was just a fluke.

Thanks

If you try to program a MCS2000 with any cable other than the one made for the MCS, you risk blowing the control head. Also I have found that the Polaris Rib box won`t work with the MCS. Use a genuine Motorola RIB box.

Joe

Thanks

Check. I use a OEM RIB and a cable that does not connect to through the control head. I'm assuming the issue was when I pulled power from an RCH3000 that was hooked to the same bench power supply as the MCS2000. The surge of current that the RCH3000 was drawing got dumped into the MCS2000, which caused the fail.